Linux Roon Control GUI Please [not on roadmap, you may try to use Wine]

The discontinued PMP I mentioned above.

You already can’t use all (the new) features with that old software.

" * We will keep PMP in TV mode working as it is today and will fix serious issues which impact the product for the foreseeable future."

" What about a Linux version?

Right now, we’re focusing our resources on macOS and Windows to ensure they receive the best experience they can. It’s certainly possible that we could expand to support Linux in the future, but for now it’ll be Windows and macOS."

Personally I don’t use the offlining capability so I don’t really care but I understand other people might be bothered by this.

So PMP is now only partly abandoned. Sadly they communicated the news not as prominently as the initial announcement about the discontinuation. :slightly_smiling_face:

The new online media types are not supported also but depending on where you live you probably can’t find something of interest in it anyway.

Let stay on topic with Linux UI support.

3 Likes

I would like to add my support to getting a Roon Linux GUI.

The serious systems of the world run Linux - the web would die without Linux - the fastest computers on the web run Linux - AI runs Linux - the Cloud runs Linux

So isn’t it time Roon ran Linux?

I am a professional - I run Linux - I ditched WinDoze many many years ago and have no desire or need for Win10 which is just another advertising/data scraping POS like Facebook etc.

I have just bought an annual subscription to Roon and run the server on Linux. I am very impressed. I love the way it organises my music, and my endpoints. The Roon server was simple to install, and easy to manage.
But already I grow tired of reaching for a phone or tablet when I’m working on my Linux systems to get my music to play.

Join the future Roon - get with where the computing power is and where it’s going - not where the media/noise is.

When my annual renewal comes up, if Roon does not have a Linus GUI then I will dump Roon - there are, and doubtless will be more, Linux options by then.

Linux GUI - please…
JJ

2 Likes

None of the things you listed run desktop Linux. All those things run headless servers and Roon does in fact run on headless Linux servers. It doesn’t run it’s GUI on Linux, we may never know why that is but if I were to wager 1% Linux share on the desktop might have something to do with it.

I’m a Linux user myself and currently use it via Wine. Is it the easiest or most convenient option out there? No, a native Linux version would be better. But it’s better than nothing and nothing is often all we get.

Maybe if there were more of us here things would be different but with like twenty people total throughout the entire user base we’ll soonder get an ARM port than a Linux port

1 Like

Hi Roon community,

I have recently subscribed for one year to Roon to find out if I want a lifetime membership. I installed Roon Server on my Synology DS918+ NAS (ssd drive for the roon database, and 3 hhd drives for data such as music). I use Ropieee as Roon endpoint on my raspberry pi with a dedicated dac (kali reclocker+ allo piano 2.1). And I am using the Android app as the user interface. So far I am pretty impressed.

I use a linux desktop (ubuntu 18.04) on my laptop as my daily OS in both my private and professional life. Unfortunately I have not found a way to navigate and start/stop music with a linux based player for Roon. The only way to operate Roon is via my mobile phone. Although the Android app works fine for me, I really miss the option to control my music from my laptop/PC. Is there any roon player/UI available for linux? The native application is only for Windows and Mac.

Are there any plans for Roon playback supporting linux? I would be fine with a web- or browser-based implementation similar to Tidal (not the full features such as master quality playback, but still OK).

3 Likes

Nope. I did ask @danny in another thread if it is on the roadmap (no timeline required) but didn’t get a reply…

Maybe he can reply this time?

thank you for your quick reply. Let’s hope someone from Roon Labs can comment on this.

Nothing has changed since this post:

Demand for Linux desktop UI still is well below the effort needed to support the project.

I think some people have had success using Wine. See this thread:

Demand for Linux desktop UI still is well below the effort needed to support the project.

I was afraid of that, too bad Linux is too often not supported due to this same reason when applications are not developed with cross-platform support in mind. Especially sad because Roon Server does run on / require Linux. There’s quite some nice and modern technology to make true cross-platform apps without the need of maintaining different branches per OS. I understand from the other comment that the app is built in .NET Framework. A transition towards .NET Core is not only the future (.NET 5) but also allows more support for cross-platform apps. I work as a software developer and also use .NET Core and I know this can be easier said than done.

I think some people have had success using Wine. See this thread

Thanks, I didn’t expect this to work with Wine, but I will try that.

I got it working with Wine. I struggled to install all the correct wine dependencies and correct architecture (guess I can’t use the 64-bit version), but using this installer script I got it to work, mentioned in this post.

I wasn’t aware of the other thread about the Roon (remote) gui on linux. Thanks for the help, I have a working solution now.

2 Likes

+1 for Linux. I’m running the core on Linux server.

2 Likes

Glad you got it working!

1 Like

Just throwing in one more vote for a Linux control app. Still on a trial period myself but I expect to be a paying customer shortly. I don’t think my audio system has ever seen such heavy use. However, my main OS has been Linux based (Linux Mint at the moment) for the past 5 years. I get that Linux users still comprise a relatively small percentage of users. Does not hurt to ask though. I do have Roon running on Wine, but setting this up was at PITA and took about a half dozen attempts to get it to work.

1 Like

While roon use a primarily windows based .net tools, rather than web based tools often used elsewhere, there is no hope of support for linux.

I refused to install 32bit libs on my linux systems, to run wine… for me using wine is an excuse for roon not to bother to update their tools.

1 Like

+1 for Linux. I spend most time listening in front of my desktop and have a few workarounds:

1. Use my desktop as a Roon bridge and control with an iPad as the remote. Works well enough but I already had the iPad.

2. A combination of Roon Web Controller and nativefier to create a widget that lives on your desktop. Media keys don’t work but you can click to skip and access your library.

3. Stream Deck mini and the Roon plugin. If your Core (Windows or Mac) is close enough to your desktop you can set the Stream Deck to control your Linux Roon bridge with album art available, skip, previous, and a toggle for Roon radio.

4. Remote Control Roon with a Linux Keyboard - you will need to know which device your keyboard is but it works well enough. However, I have yet to make it automatic so I run the program when I need to use it.

Workaround 1 is the most seamless but also the most expensive unless you already have an iPad lying around. Otherwise, I recommend the Roon Web Controller. I currently use all 4 workarounds at the same time. A Linux Roon UI would be ideal.

2 Likes

Hi,

I’m desperate Roon doesn’t see the point of building a Linux version of Roon Remote. As an ex Apple-lover ■■■■■■-off by Apple and switching to Linux because it works and doesn’t cost a cent, Roon was the ONLY app which was not replaceable in a way or another.

A decent web interface would be a strict minimum given what we pay for this app. Or better, a Snap, common guys.

Anyway, I managed to install Roon on my Linux Mint 20 desktop. Here is how.

First install Wine : https://techviewleo.com/how-to-install-wine-on-linux-mint/

Second download roon-on-wine-master.zip here:

Install the whole package (it takes a while) : ./install.sh
Launch Roon /home/yourusername/./start_my_roon_instance.sh

The installer also creates a shortcut on the desktop.
It works very well, despite the fact that Roon.exe eats 13% of my i5 CPU.

Hope it helps.

1 Like

Wow this is quite disgusting in fact, I liked the trial but no way am I going to sit at my PC for 12hours waking my phone up every 5minutes to skip tracks or pause.

I would pay lifetime if I could actually control tue software.

Wine is NOT a solution, sort it out.

2 Likes