Looking for some help and ideas for Web Display

I checked this post LG OLED as Web Display but it ended without a solution.

I have Web display working well when hosted from PCs/macs on the network, but I’m trying to get it working on a couple of TVs mostly for window dressing.

My LG web browser app, which I think might be Chomeium will display the word Roon and the icon in the browser tab but never displays the Roon logo in the full screen.

I installed Firefox on my FireTV Sticks on a couple of other TVs and it really never connects to anything.

All the devices are on the same network and subnet.

Any ideas. Thanks, in advance for your assistance.

Hello @Frank_Cromer,

Just to confirm here, you have tried following our Web Display Instructions and have clicked the start display function?

Thanks,
Noris

I can confirm that Firefox on the FireTV works.
Only but big problem is that the FireTV shuts down after 30 minutes. Seems like the Roon display is not recogized as “activity”.

I have followed the instructions, noris, and it does work for other devices like my PCs. The TVs never show up on my Roon devices list. Any ideas??

@Frank_Cromer - Can you please post a screenshot of your Roon Settings -> Display Tab? It should look something like this:

Have you tried rebooting the LG TV and your Core? I would give that a try as well. Do you have any firewall blocking software or antivirus applications on your Core? I would try temporarily disabling those to see if it has any change in behavior.

Thanks,
Noris

OK. I have 3 displays running. One on my LG TV with it’s internal app browser connected to the local Web display URL, one from an Amazon Fire Stick with Firefox connected to the same URL, and a third on a Win 7 PC sitting here beside my mac with a Firefox browser. The Roon displays only shows the PC.

Obviously, I have Roon running and playing music. The Win7 display is working perfectly, but nothing shows on either of the other two browsers.

I’ll make another post with a photo of the LG display.

Thanks!

Here’s the display from the LG TV browser app. The FireTV display is just a white screen.

I didn’t see this before. The TV has been off an just turned on, so I’d consider that a reboot. I haven’t rebooted Roon core for a few days. I can do that. As far as any firewall or antivirus, Roon Core is set up on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and that’s the only application I’ve set up on the machine. So, it’s standard Ubuntu services. Actually, it was a minimal Ubuntu setup. I will reboot the Core.

Hello @Frank_Cromer,

Thanks for letting me know that info. At first glance it seems that Roon is displaying that zone but it doesn’t fit on the screen? Is the behavior the same if you press that “maximize” button on the top right-hand corner?

We do not have any LG TVs in-house to test the display behavior but if you are able to provide the exact local time (ex. 8:11) that you try to use the LG or FireTV display, I can then enable diagnostics mode for your account and submit a ticket to the QA team to take a look (but please be aware that this may take some time to reach their queue due to the holiday season).

Thanks,
Noris

I’ll try the maximize button tomorrow. If needed, maybe we can arrange a time that would be convenient for your test. This isn’t a pressing matter by any means.

I appreciate your help.

Noris, I tried maximizing the screen and it had no effect.

Thanks for letting me know @Frank_Cromer.

The next step here would be to enable diagnostics mode for your account and take a look at the logs for any strange behavior. Can I please ask you to let me know the exact local time in your country (ex. 7:43PM) that you try to use your Roon display and it does not work?

What is your network setup like? Please list the model/manufacturer for your router, any switches/range extenders/powerline adapters/ect. Is the Ubuntu PC connected differently than your other PCs?

Also, just to confirm once more, the Web Displays are functioning properly on Windows and other PCs but this issue is just affecting you when you try to stream from your Ubuntu setup?

Thanks,
Noris

Noris, I totally dropped the ball on this issue and you have my apology. However, I think I’m going to spend the time on a workaround I thought about that I think may give me greater flexibility. I’m just going to attach a Raspberry Pi running Ubuntu Mate to an HDMI input on the LG TV and that way I’ll have a fully functional Web browser that should be a much better experience than the internal browser. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Hello @Frank_Cromer,

Thanks for letting me know :sunglasses:
Good luck on setting up the new device and if you have any questions feel free to ask!

Thanks,
Noris

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.