Losing some albums

Back to losing albums again. This time, I can find one version of Miles Davis’s Porgy and Bess but not the Mobile Fidelity version, which appears under neither the artist search nor the title search. Also, Sinatra’s No One Cares is hiding again–I can find only one version.

Hi @Andrew_Stein,

First, I’d like to point out some documentation we have that may be helpful here. In our KB we have an article about Skipped Files and an article about why some files might be missing from Roon .

If you go to Settings > Library > Skipped Files do you see any of your missing files there?

I’d like to recommend looking at a couple of specific examples of tracks that did not get imported into Roon. Are they supported files? Are they showing up in Skipped Files? If it looks like they should be importing, let me know! Screenshots of these files in their storage location would be helpful for discovering what may be happening.

Hi. While Skipped Files shows a few-dozen files, it does not include those that I mentioned in my question. Roon is skipping versions of the same album, often the Mobile Fidelity versions that I have in addition to standard-CD or downloaded versions. My original posts mentioned some of the albums, from artists as varied as Sinatra, Bill Withers, and others. Once in a while, if I search by artist instead of by album, Roon might show both versions. At times, I have been able to choose the Mobile Fidelity versions as preferred, but I don’t think that choice has stuck. The problem is not limited to Mobile Fidelity, however. It doesn’t seem to matter whether the files are standard 44.1-KHz/16-bit FLAC, DSD, 96/24 FLAC, etc.

Hi @Andrew_Stein,

Let’s go with one of the examples mentioned above — Sinatra — If you search by path does it show up?

If not, can you share the album with us here?

Thanks!

Yes, if I search by path, it comes up. Please see the attached screenshot, which also shows the non-Mobile-Fidelity version. I don’t know whether the parentheses in the filename of the album (“No One Cares (Mobile Fidelity)”) are throwing Roon off, but I use parentheses for a number of albums, and Roon in the past was able to find this album, at least when I searched by artist. (I have added a second screenshot of a general search that shows other Mobile Fidelity titles with the label in parentheses.)

Thanks.

Add images

Hi @Andrew_Stein,

If you go to No One Cares and go to the Versions tab do you see the Mobile Fidelity version?

No. That’s the problem.

Hi @Andrew_Stein,

Can you share the album with us here:

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/external/5dHjIc9ccDE-LVTzf

Done. I also have a DSD version (Mobile Fidelity) and some other non-Mobile-Fidelity release (FLAC). So I think I have three versions.

Thanks, @Andrew_Stein — I’ll get this over to the team and will follow up with their findings.

Thank you. Please let them know that this error occurs with multiple albums that have different versions.

Hi @Andrew_Stein,

So far we haven’t been able to reproduce this issue on our end and we were hoping you could provide the following:

• Screenshots of Settings > Library > Import Settings
  • A non Mobile Fidelity version of this album so we can test with that in our library as well

Thanks!

Hi. I have uploaded screenshots of Import Settings. I have shared a non-Mobile-Fidelity version of the album. Thanks.

Thanks for sending that over @Andrew_Stein. I’ll be sure to update you as soon as the team gives me some feedback on their findings here.

Hi. Any word? Thanks.

I noticed that Roon is missing other albums, for example, Bill Joel’s “The Stranger.” It finds the Qobuz version but not the local version, which is saved as FLAC files. I am sure Roon must be missing other albums, as well, given the random ones I see missing. Curiously, my BluOS app (I have a Bluesound system) also doesn’t find that album.

Hi @Andrew_Stein,

Thanks for the additional details, and apologies for the delayed response here. The QA team’s queue is a bit longer than typical right now because of their current testing schedule, but I’ve made sure that your investigation is a high priority as soon as they are available.

Just to confirm that the The Stranger album is the same thing as we saw in the past, are you able to see the album if you use the filter by path function?

Sorry. I goofed. Turns out I don’t own that album.

That said, I am finding problems similar to those with the Sinatra albums that I identified earlier. I have, apparently, a boxed set of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, as well as a 2019 Japanese SHM-CD version of that album. When I search by album, Roon can’t find the SHM version. (I edited the metadata of that version to identify it as the SHM version.) But, when I search by artist Elton John, Roon can find the SHM version. When Roon found it that way, I marked it as my preferred version. Yet, when I then searched by album again, Roon couldn’t see the SHM version and had a different version (I think from the boxed set) marked as preferred.

Oddly, when Roon views the boxed set, it seeks only disks 2, 3, and 4.

I have uploaded screenshots of the Roon view by album and of the Roon view by artist (where I viewed all albums by John and then clicked over to the first of the three that it showed).

I will upload the images in the next post. I am having a problem doing it here.

Add images

I notice that you are not following Roon Labs recommendations for naming box-set folders. This is probably why things are not behaving as they should.

1 Like