Lumin D2... Could it be a perceivable upgrade in sound quality?

Peter, you mentioned there is no D3. Are there any plans for one or any updates that will go beyond DSD128? Or are those upgrades only in the higher priced models? I’m researching Lumin, Bluesound and others to determine my best upgrade path.

Please consider Lumin T2 (or X1) that supports DSD512.

Thanks for the reply!

Highly recommend the T2, just got it and it sounds fantastic even before break-in.

2 Likes

I’ve been very pleased with my D2 in the year or so that I’ve owned it. I’ve been wondering though, what improvements I might hear if I stepped up to the T2.

1 Like
2 Likes

Thanks Peter, that’s a very helpful post and link. :+1:

Hi @wklie
any chance that D2 will be replaced with a new model in the near future? What is your recommendation?

I cannot discuss future plans, but please don’t worry about it being replaced anytime soon.

1 Like

Hi,
I have got a chance to test a demo of Lumin D2 from my local dealer. I really like the general sound, but there was a serious issue for me: I think that the internal power supply makes a high-pitched noise, „electronic” noise, coil whine which was audible and unpleasant. Well, the dealer didn’t hear it of course, but for me it was audible even from 2 m distance. Well, I was looking forward to D2 … I have returned the demo model to the dealer. What about yours D2… Are they „dead silent” in standby mode?

They have another D2 in stock, not opened, factory sealed, so I was not allowed to test it.

Don’t hear anything on mine.
But then again I’m not the youngest anymore.
Certainly the first time I’m hearing anyone mention this issue.

We consider coil whine to be abnormal. Please be assured that having coil whine is definitely not representative of Lumin products. Any unit that exhibits a coil whine needs to be repaired.

It is normal that some people can hear coil whine, some people cannot.

2 Likes

Thanks. I will somehow persuade the dealer to let me listen to the second unit.

Please kindly inform the dealer we will repair his demo unit (through the distributor usually).

If you purchase a Lumin and in the unlikely event that the unit has any defect, we will help make sure you get a replacement.

3 Likes

@sojer2005 - no sound from my D2 either (which is more than can be said for the amp next to it). FWIW, I tend to be pretty sensitive to that sort of noise.

1 Like

What happens to your amp? Transformer hum?

Yes, I believe so - it’s a Hegel H360 - I may try a DC blocker sometime but they seem expensive for something that, as I understand it, shouldn’t affect the audio…thoughts welcome though.

Hi, happy ending.
I have received another D2 unit in silver from my dealer and it is marvelous.
No coil whine whatsoever.
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Glad that’s fixed for you @sojer2005 :grinning:

@wklie completely unrelated but out of interest why does the D2 show as max 24 bits in Roon, when the specs (and the Wolfson specs) support 32 bits? I presume others with a D2 see the same?

1 Like

Yes, I am very satisfied.
Lumin D2 is by far the best streaming DAC I’ve ever used.

4 Likes