Lumin Luxman Roon Only Mode / Esoteric TEAC RAAT Mode

Can you still use Lumin app stream Spotify or local nas? Thanks

Not in Roon only mode, the name of which is a giveaway. All other features works as they always have if you don’t use Roon only mode it’s a user choice to set up Roon only mode in the new firmware which was early posted by wklie in his first post .

after update If I don’t turn on Roon only mode, I still can use Lumin app? Thanks

Of course.

By the way, for those who are looking for Roon Only mode experiences, this is a comment from another forum using X1, I believe:

In my system, music sounds clearer with better separation. Mid is more open and less congested. Initially I thought bass extension is slightly less. After some listening, i feel the bass is more articulate and tighter instead of less extended.
This is what I found in my system. YMMV

4 Likes

Thanks Peter.

1 Like

+1 to the first impressions

1 Like

That’s pretty much what I hear too. Greater separation, bass more articulated, greater focus, music sounds overall clearer more transparent. Not a massive difference but clearly audible and worthwhile imo. A keeper for sure. Got to give props to Lumin for continuously offering upgrades, not just in features but also sound quality. And at no cost too.

8 Likes

Thanks for all the comments and all the effort put in trying it out and evaluating the SQ (regardless of the results). Even if just a few users heard a tiny little bit improvement, that makes it all worthwhile.

Unlike typical desktop OS audio optimizing software (which could cut down a lot of unneeded processes), the cut down we do here is comparatively small scale. So I was not expecting much difference in the first place.

11 Likes

I guess Roon is a resource Hogg as much as it is on other devices.

1 Like

Hi Peter,

Can you outline your ideas for future updates? Do you see a “Roon Only mode” toggle switch or something like that in the Lumin app, if this experiment is going to be a success SQ-wise?

3 Likes

I hesitate to make it too easy for users to invoke it, as there will be users who trigger it without fully understanding the limitations and consequences. Ultimately, it’s up to marketing to determine whether an easier way to do this is needed.

3 Likes

Sounds like the constraint of enabling Roon Only mode is the loss of connection between the Roon app and the device. Is this correct?

If that’s the case, to your point, it shouldn’t be easy to trigger because the user would not be able to disengage it the same way (ie. a hardware reset procedure would still be required).

As an idea, in the future, could this could be a hardware switch on the device to engage/disengage Roon Only mode? It’s a convenient way to disengage it once an update is available for the unit / to update the device.

Like you can now switch on your Lumin device via the Roon app, I would imagine it could be possible to switch to Roon Only via the Roon app?

1 Like

Personally, the only reason I’d ever want to disengage it is to update the device.

Curious what other people’s use case is for wanting to disengage Roon Only?

2 Likes

Hi, Has there been an answer regarding Leedh ?

Hi, I am using Roon (local library and Qobuz) but my wife is using Spotify through the Lumin T2. She has tried Roon but is preferring sticking with Spotify despite she can hear the difference in sound quality.

2 Likes

T2 user. Gave it a shot. I previously did not use DSP etc

New #RoonONLY seems similar audio quality to me. Or maybe better said, no better or worse.
Was an easy decision since I was not previously using the Lumin app nor switching outputs, using Tidal, Airplay etc.

Will certainly give this a try and will likely stay with it, given it sounds identical or better. I have no use for non-Roon usage and I like the intent of a pure focused approach. The only drawback to my mind is that there is now no indication of future firmware upgrades, other than watching the forum for announcement. And then you have to reset to receive them. Not the end of the world but less convenient.

Cheers,
Robert

2 Likes

U1 not picking the v15 update yet?

Please update the app. If it’s not updated, swipe away the app and relaunch it. Set Firmware Upgrade to Off, then On.

1 Like