Lumin T2 DSD512 MQA Roon Ready Network Player

If you already have the subs, please try it and let me know whether it works well for you.

As pre-amp vs direct to amp, I believe most of our users prefer having a pre-amp although our own shows use a direct to amp connection, since we do not offer a pre-amp.

I am confused what you want me to try with the subs. Can you explain further?

The issue I have found with most preamps is that most have an internal DAC except for maybe the analog Parasound. Some have a bypass but the DAC in the T2 is superb so I have not found a preamp that does not affect the sound of the T2 in a negative way. The issue of playing through multiple DACs is an issue that I find is not being considered by many dealers.

In a few posts above you mentioned using the RCA for subs and XLR for amp. If you want to use subs, please go ahead and do this configuration. Check if you get a more satisfying sound this way and without a ground loop.

If you like transparency and are happy with a direct to amp configuration, then don’t worry about the pre-amp.

Since updating my Samsung S9 to Android 10… My Lumin software has changed color. Has this happened to anyone else?

This is a known issue with Lumin app on Android 10.

1 Like

Background on DSD512 files and how these are derived, as recording this format is not possible.

1 Like

As you said recording is not done in DSD512. The value of DSD512 in a player (or DAC) is that some people really like the SQ of DSD512 upsampling, as offered by Roon or HQPlayer.

Not had the opportunity to hear that, as yet. Recent Hifi shows/demonstrations I have attended were in the majority playing CD Redbook and a few 24-bit PCM files.

Will look out for a demo of up-conversion and playback of DSD512, and see how it compares to playback of the native file.

Definitely agree 100%…

2 Likes

Lumin T2 Review by StereoNET Australia

2 Likes

Can’t say enough good things about the T2, it really looks amazing, its casing enclosure is one of a kind, it just looks stunning. It’s not your regular rectangular shape, it looks futuristic and just sounds great, great investment :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I listened to a demo on a T2 recently. The salesperson played DSD 512 Jazz that was very impressive. You could hear the ring in the cymbal and as a guy who has a 50% HF hearing loss, I was very impressed. My McIntosh MA8900 has a DA1 module which can only reach DSD 256, which I have failed to find any genre of my music (Rock & R&B) available. I hope to purchase a T2 sometime in the future, retirement is coming soon.

3 Likes

I just bought a T2 a yesterday and am excited to get into my system. I was using Metrum Ambre/Onyx setup and although it sounded really good- I wanted an all in one box solution.

3 Likes

Does anyone have a recommendation for power cable to use that’s not S Booster?

Hi, I am using the Audioquest NRG-Z3 on my T2 and all my electronics including active speakers. They are improving sound quality vs Y3 and still offerdable for me. Everything downstream a PS Audio Power Plant P5.
The Z3 is very stiff and heavy so you need to just take care it stays in place.

1 Like

Nice. I might try that one once I get my T2. Curious if you had a previous Lumin before to compare? I’ve read some say T2 can be bright.

No I did not had another Lumin before I am afraid.

I am not an equipment reviewer and my experience is very limited to the T2 on the high-end side of streamer/DAC. I went straight from Chromecast Ultra to the Lumin T2.

The reviews I have read to decide on my purchase were more stating it is giving a more analog sound, revealing but not fatiguing.

Personnaly I have what some are considering a very revealing system with preamp ATC SCA2 and speakers ATC SCM50 ASL. All connected from T2 via balanced connection.

I am using the upscaling DSD512 all the time from a powerfull (multipurpose) PC based on latest i9 Intel chip.

My listening room is treated as can be seen here:

I am very happy with the T2 both in sound quality and stability with Roon, which is not a small thing when you read around this forum. My wife and kids are using it also with Spotify and it works flawlessly too.

Enjoy your T2, for me no reason to go elsewhere for Roon. Certainly would not recommend to change power supply inside. Not worth the risk, just my gut feeling.

Hope this help

3 Likes

Yeah I am using the same power cable to power the T2 and my amp (Marantz PM-KI Ruby).
Check out the Studio Connections Black Star, highly recommended! Most important though is enjoy the music!

1 Like

You’re experience sounds almost exactly the same to mine. Around the end of last year I too first started trialling the D2 and then the T2 and comparing against my Rega Saturn R playing CD’s.

Everything you said I totally agree with, especailly about the increase in depth and detail. I also tried quite a bit of upscaling but was not into it at all so now just leave as native.

One thing I really don’t like is the Lumin app though for playing music, I tried but there’s no way I could leave Roon (in addition to ease of use I quite like reading about artists and albums plus also great way to find new music)

One thing I did add was an S-Bosster and it is something that I highly recommend. It really blackened the background and made the music even more open and “cleaner”.

One thing I would like to mess around with is trying different external Dacs to see hat that does (especially the R2R dacs like Denafrips)

Anyway doesn’t miss a beat and very happy with the purchase!

1 Like

Nice, thanks for backing my experience up.

I have sBooster installed for over a month now and am as pleased as you are. The difference is not huge, but it is there.

My Saturn has not seen a cd after my first week of T2. If T2 would accept more digital inputs I would have got rid of the Saturn already. The lack of inputs is currently my only disappointment.

Lumin app may not be compared with ROON I think. Using the app learns me the pleasure I enjoy come from the T2 and not ROON. ROON on the other hand is my preferred tool for new reasons to extend the pleasure. Something I would expect to be part of TIDAL functionality before finding this in Lumin app.

Am still very happy with the T2.

2 Likes