Lumin T2 DSD512 MQA Roon Ready Network Player

http://www.luminmusic.com/lumin-t2.html

Lumin T2 replaces the previous Lumin A1 and T1.

The essence of T2 is: Dual ES9028PRO, DSD512, same processors and FPGA from our flagship X1, analog output stage and clocking system derived from X1. The chassis is shaped like the original A1 but is done in a way to fit the T2 pricing. MQA Roon Ready Qobuz Tidal Spotify Connect TuneIn features as before. An internal power supply is used.

In addition to the balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA analog outputs, T2 inherits the X1 feature of being able to be used as a streamer to output to an external DAC via USB or BNC-SPDIF.

MSRP is roughly USD / EUR 4500 for some countries, will be different for others.

4 Likes

Slick design!

1 Like

How significant of an upgrade is the t2 over the t1?..if at all?

We think this is a significant upgrade. Please get an audition when you have the chance. We are shipping today, so dealers will get the first units in the coming weeks.

I just learned that we had a Lumin A1 user listen to T2 and he thinks T2 is much better.

Interesting. I am surprised that the t2 has a internal switching power supply. I associated the higher quality LUMIN players to some extent with the linear external power supplies. I had been considering upgrading my t1 power supply to the x1 version. Which would be the best upgrade, a t1 with x1 power supply or a t2?

I think T2.

1 Like

A user shared his early impressions of Lumin T2 in https://www.audioshark.org/lumin-169/lumin-t2-15692-page6.html#post260189

the D2 blew all my expectations and I’ve been very happy with it, but when the T2 was finally announced I just couldn’t resist it as it seemed to be all I wanted in the first place.

Immediately when I connected it yesterday I could tell this was a big step up from the D2. As expected when climbing upwards a product ladder it’s just more of everything, larger soundstage, more details, more 3-dimensional, deeper bass etc. But something that struck me early was just how effortless and relaxed the music seemed to flow, like the easiest thing in the world. Music feels vivid, more real and intense. I’m trying to avoid words as analogue and organic, but maybe that’s exactly what it is. It moves me.

These are still early impressions and I know from the D2 that some burn in time will only do it good and I expect the same here. I’m upsampling to DSD256 with Roon as my current server can’t handle DSD512, but a new one capable of that will hopefully arrive before the weekend.

I have no idea how it compares to the T1 as I’ve never tried it, I have no doubt that it’s better though as there would be no reason for a new version otherwise, but if it’s worth the money to upgrade I don’t know, but I would like to think so!

If someone is currently using a separate DAC and some other streaming solution, having high quality cables to and between these, combining it all into a very VERY nice one-box package with high quality streaming and fabulous DAC, then the T2 would be considered a bargain and almost pay for itself by just getting rid of the unnecessary boxes and cables. To me the T2 is a real winner.

I like it.

A LOT!!!

Review by High Fidelity, now with English translation:

http://www.highfidelity.pl/@main-893&lang=en

The T2 is one of the best devices of this kind. It is resolving, delivers nice colors and beautiful space. Purity of the sound translates into a great sound stage and excellent band’s extremes

Hi Peter
After more than a week of use I am very happy with T2.
But today I noticed a problem. I wanted to check how T2 was playing as a streamer myself and I wanted to connect to an external dac (oppo 205, dac in Mcintosh C52) via the usb output … there is no sound. When I had u1 mini there was no problem. In the settings options I chose the digital output and nothing; / … do I have to do something else? I will add that the USB input works without a problem ( pendrive ).
Maciej

I forgot to add that I’m using an Android application … and I’m sure I will change the device to the iPad … but I doubt if this is the cause of the problem

Stupid question but are you sure it’s a USB output on the T2? I thought it was for mounting file storage and audio out was via digital coax?

That’s why the specification says:

DIGITAL OUTPUT STAGE:

USB:

• Native DSD512 support
  • PCM 44.1–384kHz, 16–32-bit, Stereo

It is even written in the first post of Peter ;
“…In addition to the balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA analog outputs, T2 inherits the X1 feature of being able to be used as a streamer to output to an external DAC via USB or BNC-SPDIF.”

Hi Peter
After more than a week of use I am very happy with T2.
But today I noticed a problem. I wanted to check how T2 was playing as a streamer myself and I wanted to connect to an external dac (oppo 205, dac in Mcintosh C52) via the usb output … there is no sound. When I had u1 mini there was no problem. In the settings options I chose the digital output and nothing; / … do I have to do something else? I will add that the USB input works without a problem ( pendrive ).
Maciej

D’oh…I’m just gonna keep quiet now :roll_eyes::grinning:

In Lumin iOS app, there is an output setting to choose Analog / SPDIF / USB for Lumin T2 and X1. Only one of the output is active at any time. (This is different from U1 (MINI) in which USB DAC is automatically detected, and is different from some of our older models in which analog and SPDIF could both be active).

Lumin Android app needs an update to provide the same setting. We’re working on that.

So the blame lies in the application on the android … I’m already more calm and it will mobilize me to go to the iOS app :wink:
I also noticed problems with switching the volume adjustment option.
Thank you for the answer, in any case I am very happy with T2, after about 200 hours it is great :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Maciej

This is a known bug with the current Lumin Android app. We already have a fix for that in case you need it, but the T2 USB output setting for Android is not ready yet.

We now have an updated Lumin Android app for the T2, so you can select the output using it (in addition to Lumin iOS app). It should be released soon.

1 Like