Lumin T2 mid/high distortion "spitting" "splatty" DAC gone bad?

How does this change the gain?

It does not.

@Chris_Spruiell Do you also have any dsp or eq going on in roon? If so I would turn all that off and just let everything run native bitrates

1 Like

Nope… I should be bypassing all this…

I turned off the Analog Audio Output Level and that seems to have fixed it. However, I’m a little perturbed that I have to turn that off given it lends more volume/headroom.

It depends on your amplifier’s analog inputs, which is why there is an option to have low or high output level from the T2. Well done Lumin.

I see, I’m not familiar with that part of my preamps tech… I’m guessing my Anthem pre is has more “sensitive” for lack of better term inputs… idk

I experienced this too. Only one time, last week when switching in roon between dsd512 and native. Took about 5 minutes and disappeared after playing other album.
Never since.

Great. There’s one more thing you can try, if you do not absolutely require the built-in Room Correction in the preamp:

1. Stop playback and power off the M700
  2. Connect the T2 XLR output to M700, i.e. bypass the STR preamp
  3. In Lumin app, enable Volume Control and Leedh Processing Volume, and set Analog Output Level back to Normal.
  4. Set volume to a really low value, e.g. 10, then power on the M700.
  5. In Roon, recheck the volume value then start playback and gradually increase the volume to a level you normally listen to.

To compare loudness you may use a free sound level meter app on smartphone, before and after this setup change.

See if it sounds better this way.

I have a D2 connected directly to my M700 thru xlr. Dynamics is better compared to when connected with my preamp took away the coloration too.

1 Like

Thank you to all the info on this. Peter’s suggestions fixed the issue… Also, one other thing that also contributed was in the Anthem STR preamp. If you go into the Input settings there a setting called “Convert Analoge”. Set it to “No”.

By default this setting is set to “32/192” which i suppose upsamples analoge sources?

I played around with the Leedh volume and it was nice but not a noticable difference in the short time I spent with it. Hard to tell really… But I found it cumbersome to change the volume from my phone all the time. Also, I’d be bypassing my ARC room correction whenever I get around to setting it up :slight_smile:

Your preamp digitizes all analog signals to 192kHz PCM. This is required for doing room correction and bass management, EQ, etc. When you set it to No, you are no longer digitizing the analog signal.

Ah gotcha. So, if I want to use the ARC and bass management, this “tweak” is no longer applicable right?

Also, when I re-digitize the signal, aren’t I then using the Anthems dac to reprocess the signal? Meaning I’m kinda nullifying the Lumin’s awesome dac qualities?

Correct.

Yes.

In theory, a pure analog path would be the best. In practice, a lot of people report improved SQ from an external DAC (not necessarily a Lumin) even with digitizing receivers or DSP speakers.

I wonder if you came across either of these two issues:

So I’m using two DACs basically? That seems derogatory to the signal. Also, doesn’t that also mean I wasted alot of money on the T2 and should just bought a streamer instead? If I am still using my Anthem’s DAC anyway, what’s the point in having such a high priced streamer/dac like the T2?

No, you did not waste your money. You can maximize SQ by using the Analog Direct mode or HT Bypass mode of the STR preamp.

Well yeah but not without degrading the signal from the Lumin though right? Instead of getting 100% of that Lumin dac sound, I’m really only getting the Anthem’s dac sound.

Out of interest, how did you arrive with the components. Through dealer recommendation?

No through hours and hours of online forum reading and buying/selling tons of gear. I arrived at Anthem after owning the ARV1120 receiver. This receiver’s dac sounded much better to me than my Cambridge CXN V2 / Emotiva pre / Parasound a21 amp combo… I was kinda hooked on the Anthem sound. Then I upgraded to the STR integrated… LOVED it… Then i got a deal on the PS Audio m700 amps… I might die with those… Amazing… So then I started looking into external dac/streamers. While I love the Anthem dacs, I figured surely a $4000 streamer dac would sound much better. SO i bought the Lumin T2. It sounds absolutely amazing. So I want that amazing external Lumin dac quality sound… I just don’t want it reprocessed and flavored with Anthem’s magic on top of it.

1 Like