Lumin T2 mid/high distortion "spitting" "splatty" DAC gone bad?

Your preamp digitizes all analog signals to 192kHz PCM. This is required for doing room correction and bass management, EQ, etc. When you set it to No, you are no longer digitizing the analog signal.

Ah gotcha. So, if I want to use the ARC and bass management, this “tweak” is no longer applicable right?

Also, when I re-digitize the signal, aren’t I then using the Anthems dac to reprocess the signal? Meaning I’m kinda nullifying the Lumin’s awesome dac qualities?

Correct.

Yes.

In theory, a pure analog path would be the best. In practice, a lot of people report improved SQ from an external DAC (not necessarily a Lumin) even with digitizing receivers or DSP speakers.

I wonder if you came across either of these two issues:

So I’m using two DACs basically? That seems derogatory to the signal. Also, doesn’t that also mean I wasted alot of money on the T2 and should just bought a streamer instead? If I am still using my Anthem’s DAC anyway, what’s the point in having such a high priced streamer/dac like the T2?

No, you did not waste your money. You can maximize SQ by using the Analog Direct mode or HT Bypass mode of the STR preamp.

Well yeah but not without degrading the signal from the Lumin though right? Instead of getting 100% of that Lumin dac sound, I’m really only getting the Anthem’s dac sound.

Out of interest, how did you arrive with the components. Through dealer recommendation?

No through hours and hours of online forum reading and buying/selling tons of gear. I arrived at Anthem after owning the ARV1120 receiver. This receiver’s dac sounded much better to me than my Cambridge CXN V2 / Emotiva pre / Parasound a21 amp combo… I was kinda hooked on the Anthem sound. Then I upgraded to the STR integrated… LOVED it… Then i got a deal on the PS Audio m700 amps… I might die with those… Amazing… So then I started looking into external dac/streamers. While I love the Anthem dacs, I figured surely a $4000 streamer dac would sound much better. SO i bought the Lumin T2. It sounds absolutely amazing. So I want that amazing external Lumin dac quality sound… I just don’t want it reprocessed and flavored with Anthem’s magic on top of it.

1 Like

I run an Anthem d2v as an AVR and use a Classe SP800 as a 2 channel pre.
I run the Classe in HT bypass configuration and take the output of the T2 straight into the CP800 as an analog stereo pair.

I don’t run any DSP on my 2 channel stuff, aside from the sub output on the CP800 which goes to a MiniDSP 2x4 which I use as a multiplexer to combine the sub outputs from my D2v and the SP800 to feed my two subs.

In your circumstances, I’d try running the T2 as analog and with no DSP on the Anthem STR. I much prefer the colour of my Classe CP800’s pre stage to that of my D2v which was a big part in the upgrade I did to put a dedicated 2 channel pre in.

Do you have anyone competent in the house who can help you do some blind testing to see what you like most? You sit with a blindfold on and they make the relevant changes? You might need to get a SPL meter to do some level matching beforehand…

Hi, first post and new owner of a T2.

Coincidently, I have the same issue of this distorted/cracking sound on mids and highs, when used with the Anthem STR. I am going to test switching the analogue output to LOW, however, what did solve the issue for me was switching from XLR to RCA. Of course the question is, what’s wrong with my XLR outputs?

But as others have said, it’s not the best workaround, as making use of the Anthem room correction (that really does a good job) is necessary for my less than ideal listening room, and the ideal choice is to use the DAC’s on the T2, hence the reason for investing in it.

I would also make sure to turn off any DSP correction/EQ in Roon if you are using any.

Maybe if you are, you can screen shot this setting and also the audio signal path when playing to the T2

Nothing wrong.

Lumin T2 and X1 output 6V rms to XLR output, at a similar level to dCS, Chord, Mola Mola, etc. RCA output is half that, i.e. 3V rms.

Your Anthem is not designed to accept such a high voltage level, so the output level from the T2 needs to be decreased, via Analog Output Level setting.

Thanks Peter for the swift response.

Changing output fixed the XLR, now I have to go play to see if I can leave without the Anthem Room Correction or go with the use of the in-built DAC’s.

cheery_chap yeah using the lowered output level on the Lumin fixed the problem… There’s no way I’m living without ARC after hearing the difference it made. I got so used to hearing my room modes and boomy bass. With ARC on, it was night and day and I can’t believe what all i didn’t hear before using it.

1 Like

I used the D2v with ARC but now I have the Classe Pre in the mix, I’m going to do my 2 channel room and speaker correction using a convolution filter in Roon. I’ve already started engaging with Mitch at Accurate Sound. Really looking forward to the process. https://accuratesound.ca

I sometimes wonder why Roon users use extra hardware room correction, since Roon does that already - and that means some investment is made for duplicate functionality. Is that because of ease of setup? Used for non-Roon sources? Or the equipment was purchased prior to using Roon - but I also see experienced Roon users buying those?

There’s lots of reasons why a hardware solution might be needed. I run a MiniDSP to multiplex sub signals across multiple pre amplifiers so that no matter what pre is running, both of my subs get the signal they need. There’s a lot I could do with that same device (eg Dirac Live) that some would find very useful in their setups.

That said, Roon’s convolution engine sounds interesting. Once my new room treatments are up I’ll be getting stuck into measurements.

Roon doens’t take measurements and doesn’t do do anything with phase etc. I’m guessing peter is suggesting taking measurements with 3rd party software then making manual adjustments in Roon?

I think there are several guides here. I’m not suggesting one or the other way is better, and I’ve not gone through any of these. I was just wondering what are the factors driving one to choose a hardware based room correction or software based approach, the latter of which might allow more choices of amplifiers but need a lot more effort.