Lumin T3 on the way?

The soundstage was wider, taller and deeper on the D2 + Plixir Elite BDC vs what I observed with the T2. I could physically point those differences out with a laser pointer.

Background seemed darker and the perception that instruments could be further away from you, but maintain clarity/detail was heightened. There was more sense of space and air around individual performers. The sense of scale of orchestral pieces from Mahler and Holst, for example, was larger. Overall concussive dynamics, from snare to upright bass to kick drum, were more impactful and more clearly delineated. Textural cues within those bass transients were also heightened.

All in, the overall level of musical involvement became more experiential with the upgraded D2 over the T2. Despite me finding the T2 much more handsome (personal preference).

Obviously, the delta between the upgraded D2 and the original D2 was much larger than between the upgraded D2 and the T2.

Very similar improvements to my Chord Qutest (in my Naim system) when I tested it with a Paul Hynes SR7 and Plixir Elite BDC 5V/2A over the stock SMPS. Plixir edged it by a nose but both were obvious improvements over the stock power supply, much as described above.

Not bashing on SMPS, btw. I’ve heard a Mola Mola Tambaqui (with an internal SMPS) and it was just superb.

1 Like

I owned a D2 with the Sbooster (solid improvement) but in my demo with the T2, the stock T2 clearly exceeded the upgraded D2. This wasn’t subtle - the T2 was way more relaxed, with greater musicality and better resolution of microdetail.

I’ve thought about upgrading the T2 power supply as I’m firmly in the LPS camp, but it sounds great stock and I’d probably wait till the warranty is up.

3 Likes

It should be me as the reviewer!!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your experience - interesting to hear alternative viewpoints on this.

I’ve long wanted to hear the Tambaqui, as there’s lots of interesting writing out there about its design principles, although sadly not a purchase I could justify. Won’t linger on this though as would be heading off topic.

1 Like

I actually upgraded from OEM to an SBooster, first. As you said, obvious step up from stock.

The Plixir was an equally large improvement beyond the SBooster in my system. Relaxed is a great way to describe the T2… you can listen all day.

The D2 + Plixir seems more refined to me than the T2, and I would call detail a wash. Maybe a slight edge to the T2 in absolute detail terms… maybe. But the D2 + Plixir presents an even more organic and open aspect that the T2 couldn’t quite match. Especially on live recordings (i.e. Neil Young at Massey Hall) and orchestral pieces. The more complex the music became, the more the D2 pulled slightly ahead. Resolution + ease, if I had to distill it.

Happy to share!

The Tambaqui is just as special as they say it is. Can’t say that for many pieces of gear. Absolutely up there with MSB, EmmLabs, Merason, dCS. IIRC the Tambaqui is also a network-enabled Roon endpoint.

I have only heard the Lumin D2, T2, and A1 streamers. All fantastic… especially the A1. All value high points for the performance they bring to the table.

I use mine as a Roon endpoint, btw. Lumin has been a delightfully pleasing experience at every turn for my use case. Every function just works.

3 Likes

Not quite a fair comparison. It is worth upgrading the power supply to T2, installing a Linear Power Supply-Farad, Teddy Pardo, etc., and then compare how everything will be completely different. :wink:

1 Like

I’m curious as to whether the new streaming platform might allow for HQP integration at a future point (i.e. allow the T3 to act as an NAA endpoint). Will be interested to watch developments with it.

Not trying to be fair. :wink: Just leveraging my one-year-old D2 that I got for $1600, used, with Sbooster (just needed to install it myself). Display and machine were MINT. Added in the Plixir Elite BDC with Statement DC cable and I was back at the msrp of a factory new D2. And then I sold the Sbooster.

So, for well less than a new D2, I got a “T2.5” or T3. The fact that this outshines the stock T2 isn’t fair, but I’m not going to go out and spend at least $3600 USD used for a MINT T2 + ~$800 USD for the Plixir Elite BDC just to make it fair.

I’m certain a T2, upgraded in the same way, would sound better. It basically has to. It also, almost certainly, won’t sound ~$2000+ better. And that is how much extra it would cost me.

2 Likes

Anyone here upgrade their T2 to a Linear Power Supply? If so, which one and how did it improve? I noticed a measurable improvement in detail and bass firmness and glare/grain on my D2 when using a Sbooster. I don’t have complaints about either on the T2 stock power supply but if an LPS can further improve on grain or glare, I’d welcome this.

1 Like

The same improvement you felt with the D2 I noticed on my T2 after I added the Sbooster
Soundstage and bass improvements were prominent

1 Like
5 Likes

Folks, need advise for below setup.

ROON - on NUC - Class Delta Pre - Classe Mono Amplifiers - Sonus-Amati Tradition.

Two Questions-

1. Classe Delta currently is not Roon compliant, though it has a good DAC, does it make sense to ditch this and instead add T2 or T3 and connect - NUC- Lumin- Mono? or I keep the Delta Pre?

2. A local retailer has a new T2 that he is willing to give at 30%rebate. This vs full price on the T3. The difference here is around 1200USD. Does it make sense to pick up T2 at bargain or T3 is way better?

Normally I always recommend users to use an external DAC rather than those inside a (pre)amp.

In your particular case, however, Classe Delta performs analog to digital conversion (ADC) so that Tone / EQ / Subwoofer functions can be used - if you use any of these features the above recommendation does not apply to you.

If you can use the Bypass mode without those features, then please consider a Lumin product with analog output.

If you don’t use other sources other than Roon or network, you may also try to connect Lumin analog output directly to the mono amp (turn the volume way down before you play anything).

3 Likes

I’d take the T2 without hesitation if you’re going to bypass the electronics on the Classe. The DAC in the T2 is outstanding - I doubt you’ll find better in the vast majority of integrates or pre-amps sporting a DAC.

2 Likes

Streaming only Lumin products. USB out into the Classe. No duplication of functionality, U1 or U2 mini.

3 Likes

Were you able to compare that?

nope, still running my humble Pi/Pi2AES into the Pontus II.

Just haven’t been able to justify any upgraded streamer at this point.

1 Like

Had my Lumin T3 for about 3 weeks now and I’m very happy with it.

It replaced a HiFi Rose RS150 and in my opinion gives a noticeable improvement to sound quality. Sound wise I like the improvement in detail and imaging with a nicer overall more spacious presentation. I also got the Lumin remote at the same time, I find it easier to adjust volume and select the next / previous track from a pre-selected album (or play list) than using my iPad.

5 Likes

Thanks, Peter and others.

I went ahead with purchase of T2 as I wanted to explore DAC + Streamer of Lumin rather than just streamer. I have an E480 at office so the idea was to use T2 in that application in case Classe Delta DAC was superior.

It’s being only a day or so and I can confidently say, this has been the best investment/ improvement on my system, even better than the VALHALLA 2 Power cords that I got for my Accuphase :slight_smile:

In my setup at home, I have ROON on the Mac and Lumin recognises it on network. I have connected Delta Pre via XLRI to T2. Because I don’t have a good quality USB, I could not check Delta DAC but if we talk about Lumin, is it the right way or do I need to connect the Mac to Lumin via USB A to A/ C?

I can still use Delta Pre- Tone/ Sub functions as I use the same in Bypass mode. My Delta setup never sounded so nice.

Will also like to highlight, with support guys from manufacturers like Peter, it becomes so easy for normal folks to understand and setup. I could find settings of the T2 from the other posts of Peter :+1:

5 Likes