Mac Mini Died Migrate to New Mac

My Mac Mini died so I bought a new one and I can’t log in. It was my core machine and I had a whole computer backup but not a Roon. How do i switch to the new computer.

If you used Time Machine to backup Roon’s libraries, i.e. you’re not talking about your music files, that doesn’t seem to work in restoring Roon libraries. You needed to have used Roon’s backup. Sorry.

You can always re-download the Roon software and start from scratch. Of course, all the mods you made will be lost.

Too late for this go-around, but next time backup/restore using Roon’s backup/restore.

@support - any help to add?

Hello @Curt_Dragomanovich,

As @xxx mentioned, we have seen time machine backups cause issues with Roon and would advise against using Time Machine to back up your Roon database as mentioned in our Knowledge Base.

Have you ever performed a manual backup from within Roon and saved it somewhere on your old mac mini? You would be able to use a manual backup to restore the database but simply restoring the time machine one will cause issues. This KB article here describes the proper migration process from one Core to another.

Thanks,
Noris

If you can start the old Mac in target mode then use that to boot from another Mac then you could at least get the core backed up to an external usb drive and then you can restore that backup…did you also lose your music too?

2 Likes

I have deleted the Roon program and reinstalled and I still have the same problem. As far as the old Mac is concerned I can’t do anything with it.

You mention that you’re having issues logging in to Roon, is there a specific error message that’s being displayed? Have you made sure to allow Roon past your OSX firewall? You can use these instructions from Apple to achieve this. I would also temporarily disable any other firewall or antivirus blocking software to see if that could be the cause of failing to log in.

Thanks,
Noris

Firewall is not active and no antivirus software. There is no error message when I try to log in. It just says logging in but nothing happens past that.

Thanks for letting me know that information. I think it would be useful to see what the behavior is like with a fresh database in place to see if Roon starts as expected then.
To perform this step please use these instructions:

• Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location: https://kb.roonlabs.com/Database_Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon database
  • Start Roon again and see if the issue still occurs

Thanks,
Noris

If you restored from a time machine backup this will mess up the databases and you will need to remove all the Roon \library stored folders to reinstall.