macOS Catalina’s new security model broke Roon - how does this happen?

It annoys me in some of these Roon support forums where people with absolutely zero affiliation try to help people fix their shit with absolutely zero thanks. Kinda makes you think twice to be honest…

2 Likes

… so - any solutions in sight? I too have upgraded to Catalina (because I needed the update for other programs) and whoops - external drive with all music gone…

For lifetime subscribers, the option is “we’ve already got your money, sucker!” Roon obviously doesn’t care about their Apple customers. I’d suggest a class-action suit!

And you base this on?

Geoff - Maybe you haven’t read this thread? The bare minimum that Roon owed their Apple customers was a warning email stating that Roon was incompatible with Catalina, that the development team was working on a fix, and that owners who needed to keep their Roon software working should NOT install Catalina until the fix was available. Letting unwary customers install an OS upgrade and THEN discover that it broke Roon is grossly negligent. This is NOT the customers’ fault; this is NOT Apple’s fault; this is TOTALLY Rune’s fault, and could have easily been prevented. Instead, Rune demonstrated negligence toward their Apple paying customers. My conclusion is logical, is supported by the evidence, and is legally actionable.

4 Likes

Are you a lifetime subscriber?

Sadly, these are the times Roon support goes dark. And equally sad, is that Roon could have been working with Apple’s BETA program all along, releasing pertinent information to the community as they found out about it. That’s what most companies and application teams do. And it’s not hard to do. It’s always better to be in front of any problems that arise with SW resulting from OS upgrades, than letting customer satisfaction take a hit.

Hopefully, the Roon support team will let us know what’s happening and a possible schedule for a new release.

3 Likes

Lifetime subscriber? I am not - had been considering it, but no longer.

To be clear I am absolutely not talking about fellow subscribers who offer help/solutions and of course appreciation should be expressed. More input from actual Roon employees would be welcome.

I kinda agree with all the moaning, this should be (on the face of it) a very easy fix, Roon should have come out with a patch by now. To have nothing for almost too weeks is unacceptable, regardless how irresponsible they paint their customers for upgrading to Catalina.

1 Like

I agree that better communication would have been very helpful to mitigate the situation that has arisen, but to state that “Roon obviously doesn’t care about their Apple customers” and to suggest a class-action suit is equally not helpful, IMO.

I note that in his thirteen-page review of Catalina, Andrew Cunningham over at Ars Technica writes (in the section on “Upgrade now, or wait?”:

…although Catalina doesn’t feel as rough as High Sierra did when it came out, I do think you should probably wait for one or two major bugfix updates to come out before you install Catalina (unless there are Catalina-only apps that you absolutely need to run right now).

There are a couple of reasons for this recommendation and overall situation. First, Apple’s software development teams all seem to be a bit overwhelmed this year. … Apple has released 11 developer betas of Catalina since WWDC, three of which have come out since the September iPhone event (and two of those came out just last week). It all paints a picture of a company that bit off a bit more than it could chew this year.

Second, while most apps from most major developers will run fine on Catalina, the total removal of 32-bit support plus the addition of extra security checks will inevitably leave some software broken and unable to run properly. Giving these developers a couple of months to catch up will result in a smoother Catalina upgrade experience for you.

I’m pretty sure no one from roon has said or even implied any such thing. Maybe forum members have been a bit pointed but…

1 Like

Good one! :rofl:

1 Like

A perfect summary of what I tried to argue in too many words in a separate thread on Roon and Catalina.

And thanks for the very useful review link!

Something has just occurred to me…Roon devs, or someone speaking for them, have said that they don’t look at beta OS releases as ‘things change right up until the official release’, right? Well I was just surfing a Mac site which gave information of a point release of Catalina…so, the OS is constantly being updated throughout its life cycle, just like Mojave was and all the others before that. So how to Roon cope with changes after the OS goes live…is the advice to never upgrade because that seems to be the advice here…don’t upgrade until all the ‘bugs’ are ironed out…and by then next years OS is in beta and this farce starts all over again. And we’re charged $100 a year for the privilege…yep, good one.

In your scenario the ‘farce’ only starts all over again if you are pretty much constantly updating to the next available beta as soon as it comes along.

1 Like

So you’re saying we should all just stick to Snow Leopard or whatever and never upgrade because it causes too much effort? I’m saying that even after official release all OSs, even Windows undergoes constant change and upgrade even though they are out of beta and so will change during their life cycle. At the end of this life cycle, a new version of the OS then goes into beta and so on…The beta programme doesn’t seem to have been too much for other companies, as I have said, Audirvana is working brilliantly and has no problem accessing external drives…so why not Roon. And it isn’t even that they haven’t done anything about upgrading but that they haven’t told us anything beyond one very sketchy message. I’m certainly feeling warm and fuzzy inside after all that attention…not!

Not saying that at all. I am just pointing out that your description of the ‘farce’ of constant OS updates implies that everyone is ready to jump on the next beta as soon as it comes along (which is clearly not true and not even sensible) and that as such application developers should spend their days making sure things work on every OS release, rather than getting on with new features.

As for the rest, what could Roon realistically say beyond what they have already said; ‘we know there is an issue, we are working on it as a priority’? Would their constant repetition of that actually make you feel warm and fuzzy? Wouldn’t you then be concerned that rather than focusing on getting the issue fixed they were spending far too much effort repeating themselves to anyone who would listen?

1 Like

:+1:

macos9about

5 Likes

It absolutely does not imply that. I stated that OSs are always in a state of flux and are being constantly updated throughout their life cycle until the next one comes along. That is what happens is it not? So even after the OS is released, it changes. I’m questioning the decision to wait until the release of the OS before Roon’s devs did anything about it. And, even more so, the lack of any communication as to whether Roon would work with it or not and what to do if it didn’t work. Which it didn’t and what did Roon tell us. Nothing at all. I have paid for this the same as everyone else and I think I have the right to my money’s worth same as everyone else and I’m not getting that right now. I also have the right to keep my PC up to date with the latest OS and if you think it’s not incumbent of the devs to make sure their app works that I think you are very wrong. Other apps work with no problem. How many ways can I say that?
As for adding new features, don’t get me started on that…and yes, I would, for one, feel better if I knew they were doing something beyond telling me once that they are working on it. What is causing the delay and how long is it likely to be, that’s what I want to know…And are they going to add this lost time to the end of my contract? I would be willing to bet that they won’t…

2 Likes