macOS Catalina’s new security model broke Roon - how does this happen?

The move to 64 bit with no support for 32 bit applications has been known about for two years and it has immediately rendered obsolete all 32 bit applications. Adobe must be laughing all the way to the bank. Apple users have no choice to use anything other than cloud-based “solutions” on a subscription basis. Expensive for me and many others who invested in Photoshop and Lightroom.

Come on guys, it’s getting close to 2 weeks, it needs to be fixed !!!

2 Likes

Tbqh MacOS Catalina is running Roon just fine for me on my MacBook. I am having problems using Roon on my iPhone XS running iOS 13.1.3. Roon keeps crashing on my iPhone, really annoying. Even reboots and reinstalls won’t fix the issue.

Well i reverted back to Mojave and what a nightmare it was to do. None of my time machine backups worked and each one failed half way through the restore process. Then i reinstalled Mojave and used migration assistant and got most of my stuff back. Phew!!!

I did this not so much for Roon but for business applications i need that got killed by Catalina.

Hey! Noobie on Roon and also on Mac. I see people are talking about their external HD´s, but I can’t access my folder on the internal either. Is this due to the same issue?

This is exactly why I did not buy in for the life subscription. Who
knows if they will even be in business in 4 years. Audirvana has an 85
dollar life subscription and JRiver streams 5.1 to my Oppo 203. I’m gone from Roon when my year subscription ends.

1 Like

That’s what they call progress :grimacing:

Time machine was not invented to revert back to a previous OS. You have to do a clean install of the previous OS first before you can put back your computer to its previous state. A better and recommended way is to make a bootable image of your hard drive before updating your OS. This way it is very easy to revert back. I have reverted back countless of times in the past. Nowadays I just wait at least three, four months before updating macOS. I cannot imagine that there is any need for anything to update on the day of release other than curiosity. Be patient, let it settle first.

I am a pretty critical Roon user but in this case, I have to get up on the fence for them. There is a very big chance that this is not Roons fault and you can’t blame them for being uncautious with upgrading an OS without making a proper backup first.!

1 Like

It’s not just 32 bit applications but security features implemented with business email software that uses spotlight.

Welcome to the forum. Music files stored on your internal drive should be accessible. Works ok on mine with iOS 10.15.

1 Like

“ Time machine was not invented to revert back to a previous OS. You have to do a clean install of the previous OS first before you can put back your computer to its previous state. ”

Where did you get that idea? I’ve done it several times including last week. I have a MacBook Pro that I use specifically to try things out. I gave Catalina a shot and after 15 minutes decided that since it broke Photoshop, a program that I use everyday, it wasn’t for me. Restart the MacBook holding down Command/R, tell Time Machine to return it to the last backup and when it was done I was back on Mojave with everything else intact.

3 Likes

I was also under that misconception, not to mention my Time Machine backup drive space allocation was inadequate. Live and learn. Most things have been straightened out.

Than you have been luckey. I have seen it fail quite a few times before, maybe not after 15 minutes. My bootable images haver never let me down, that’s all I know. Either which way, the moral of the story is to make a backup before updating.

1 Like

Off topic, but both are overpriced (cloud or not). Try Affinity (works on both mac and windows).

I’d suggest starting a new thread in the Support part of this forum, describing your problem and asking for help. My guess would be that you have a simple file permissions problem, but it could be several other things, too.

See I'm having a problem with Roon -- where do I report it?

If you are so happy with the others then why drag out your roon use…what would change?

Ok. I had my flac catalogue at the same place for years (desktop on MacBook). Yesterday I saw that Roon was only playing Tidal.

When I tried to route Roon to my catalogue, changing places on it, but still gets the message, can’t access folder - unauthorized :thinking:

They did not have months. A new Catalina Beta was coming out virtually every week, each of which may have introduced an issue that needed to be fixed. In fact, the Beta updates still come rolling in. I wish developers had months to tune their product to Apple releases, but apple’s update schedule makes that difficult.

I had to pay for Roon for a full year, so no money would be returned to drop it now.

Exactly so if you drop it now or when it runs out what are you gaining…if you did your money already it’s done either way. If you rather use other products then just stop using roon…seems like you are keeping on just to make you feel like your are getting something for your money you don’t like…

Sometimes we have to draw a line (even if it’s a painful lesson) and move on.

Or maybe waiting it out will turn up some new features in a coming release that will make you feel better about your spend and consider renewing again!

I seem to have found a work around for my Roon/Mac os Catalina core. I changed the location for both my music library and my Roon back up to thr Roon default location and all is well.

1 Like