macOS Catalina’s new security model broke Roon - how does this happen?

More Catalina troubles in this article:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/10/23/libreoffice_latest_victim_of_curse_of_catalina/

Look Catalina sucks and it sucks bad. The number of problems are off the charts and its not 32 bit apps .

It’s the crazy security and permissions problems.

I went back to Mojave and will stay there permanently at this point.

1 Like

I can confirm this worked for me - well done! :slight_smile:

Can you guys explain how this has to be done? Thnx in advance. I really wanna listen to my music again.

1 Like

@Rob_Minten Looks like moving your music to the home music folder structure of your user folder…this assumes you have enough space available to house your whole collection…or at least some of it for now.

1 Like

@Rob_Minten
I’m a PC user and yet for me it was relatively easy on my mac mini with an internal ssd. I created the folder structure under the hard drive as per the example given by John_Mohr. In my case the path I created was under users… music… “HDTracks”. I tested one album and checked Roon saw it - and it did.
I then MOVED my entire music collection to the new folder so no issues with disk space doing that as its a MOVE (not a copy)!
Been listening all day since doing this!

Sorry, but you are missing the point completely with this ‘solution.’ The problem only affects externally connected drives. You have moved your library to the internal one.
And BTW, creating aliases of externally located files on internal drives does not help.

1 Like

Actually this problem affects more than external drives. I have no external drive attached and had the same issues as everybody else until I moved my music to another folder on the same drive as per my previous post. This solution will work for anybody that has adequate space on main drive. One could also move a portion of collection until a global solution is found.

I just paid for roon and it does not work with external drives in Catalina.
That is very upsetting, especially when they do not let you know when they will fix it, and sorry but I do not have enough space to just move my library to the internal drive.
It makes you wonder that they are asking for 500$ and they do not have the decency to check the Catalina betas since they are out 6 months now…
I am sorry but of course Mac OS users will make the free upgrade.!!

You did not warn anyone as far as I read, only when this thing was a big issue after the release of Catalina, If I knew that this is the case I would not purchase at all, again especially when you are not giving a timeframe for a fix.

4 Likes

Just ask for a refund…

2 Likes

So apple has an excuse to mess everything up because it’s free? I have lots of things that won’t work in Catalina but I did my homework and stopped it updating. Android file transfer I think doesn’t work too…Oh thats free too so it doesn’t matter either. Plenty of things are broken out there not just roon.

2 Likes

Also it isn’t really free is it? Anyone using macos has paid thousands of dollar-pounds for the privilege.

Considering big software companies have also been put on the hoof with this update I think it’s a little unfair to be pointing the finger at Roon.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Catalina for three days now. No issues so far. I’ve got my music on the internal SSD. I don’t have any 32 bit apps…

5 Likes

@Alex_Astrov

John_Mohr is correct I don’t have an external drive and I had the same problem everyone else had until I applied the fix suggested. So sure it isn’t resolving the issue for those with an external drive.

I assume, there are people using Catalina who don’t have this issue if their music was always on an internal drive and in the default Roon folder structure

2 Likes

I have been using Catalina since the day it was released without a single issue. I am not saying that others aren’t or shouldn’t be having an issue since few individuals have their systems set-up alike.

1 Like

thankfully I replaced my Mac mini with a NUC running ROCK a couple of months ago :stuck_out_tongue: so… no issues here too after Catalina update :slight_smile:

if I didn’t… these days I would be among the veeeery upset (<- eupemism) ones: external HD issues were among the very first issues reported since early 10.15 betas and these are right the kind of problems a developer should act, or at least keep his eyes on, the whole time and have a fix ready :roll_eyes:

Agreed. I updated and found that I no longer had admin rights! Rolled back to Mojave.

Of course. As has been stated 1000 times, it only affects Roon with external devices connected. There is no reason for people to post that Roon works for me if they don’t have music stored on an external device. That helps nobody.

We understand that. Yet as with many other threads it seemed to take a turn about Catalina issues not specific to this issue.