macOS Catalina’s new security model broke Roon - how does this happen?

I‘m not reading this large thread. I updated to Catalina and have not had more or less bugs then before.

Sure, not recognizing external HDs is a very bad thing for those affected, but just saying „Catalina broke Roon“ in the title is quite misleading.

Not precise bug reports and titles just waste time. Dont help.

2 Likes

Catalina broke everything would be more accurate. Now it’s bricking Macs…

1 Like

@ James_Fitzgerald not true - it impacted me and I had the files on an internal SSD.

3 Likes

You had some other issue for some other reason. The issue at hand is the inability to access files on external drive.

iOS Catalina crippled a lot of programs, not just Roon. Webroot and a Collectors program I own were also disabled. The collectors program has been restored. Anything 32 bit looked to have been affected. It will get worked out in time. Good reason to have a backup Windows machine.

It doesn’t ONLY affect external drives… and for those who have the same issue with an internal drive i.e. Roon isn’t working, read above for the solution.

3 Likes

You probably mean “them” and not “me”…
Anyway, I don’t agree with your verdict. Such posts do help to put things into perspective. The thousands and thousands of Catalina users that don’t have any issues (I’m one of them) are much less likely to take part in this discussion. This has nothing to do with sugarcoating the truth!

6 Likes

Are you sure? I think Apple’s decision not to support 32 bit apps anymore is final, isn’t it?

It is. Support for 32bit has been removed entirely.

I was referring to programs using 32 bit gear. Those devs will get it worked out, just like Roon will get its issues worked out. Sorry for any confusion there.

1 Like

Apple has announced it will stop supporting 32 bit apps years ago. Any developer who isn’t prepared now is a lazy developer. The issue with Roon is something else. It’s the new permission system in Catalina. Nothing to do with 32 bits.

4 Likes

All 3rd party email software that uses spotlight to aggregate emails is broken.

I reverted back to Mojave which for me was nightmarish as my Time Machine backups failed.

Apple’s motto,“It just works” is a dud anymore.

1 Like

So, another week has gone by and still no fix…

I am voting with my money now. I won’t be extending my contract with Roon, I just couldn’t go through this again when the next Mac OS comes out…

And I want my money back now!

my fear is the issue is not with Roon per se but with the framework it relays on (Roon is not a native Mac application :roll_eyes:)

seen instances of these occurrences, in the past, taking months to get fixed :rage:
(but I’m confident :grimacing: it won’t be the case here)

2 Likes

Agree, it’s the most reasonable explanation, at least for me. They use mono 4.5, but only version 6.4 is Catalina-compatible. (Mono is a library for running .NET apps, which are originally only for windows) I saw a few other mono based apps that have the same issue with access to external drives.
As a software engineer, I can easily believe they started to migrate to 6.4 as soon as it was released and the process isn’t finished yet. That could be painful.

2 Likes

I agree. i’ve paid for service I’m not getting. expecting to keep up with os releases is the norm for any software vendor in this day in age. i would have expected at leaast notification and preparedness from Roon not to upgrade until the $500 lifetime subscription i’d spent would let me read the files from my hard drive.

I can’t believe the messages in this thread. Even Adobe was caught flat footed by Catalina. Many, many examples of common things that are not working with Catalina.

Catalina really was a dumpster fire release and to attack Roon for not being “ready” is a little much.

3 Likes

Not sure if you actually read any complaint here?

Folks are not happy, not because Roon is not ready, they are unhappy because Roon is not preemptive about the MacOS changes, they are not happy because Roon did not communicate, did not proactively send out any warnings, they are not happy because Roon has not done any productive for the last 2 weeks.

2 Likes

No, they are pissed because they can’t access their music. The rest is just noise.

2 Likes

How many of you are pissed because you cannot access your music? Please raise your hands.

How many of you are pissed because of Roonlabs’ inaction, indifferent attitude to your problem? Please raise your hands.

3 Likes