macOS Catalina’s new security model broke Roon - how does this happen?

What you’re calling “inaction” is really just a lack of posts about it from Roon. You can’t see them working on something, so you assume that they aren’t doing anything. Obviously they are.

Apple have been steadily increasing the security of MacOS over the years. Maybe many people here don’t realise the ASTRONOMICAL amount of malware, and thousands, if not now hundreds of thousands of people constantly trying to hack, intrude, abuse and steal from systems constantly, 24/7. Just one blog security service alone reports 12 million attacks daily!

Have some patience! You wont die if you have to wait a bit to use your music again. It’s less painful than having malware destroy all your files.

4 Likes

People with their music library on an attached hard drive, would / should have a complete backup somewhere else, perhaps a NAS other network location. Redirecting Roon’s watched drives to that network share (or adding them as watched folders) at least makes your music library accessible again. Works for me and saves a lot of angst until this is fixed.

3 Likes

I do have it backed up…on another external drive haha.

I figured out a couple of alternative solutions. Music is still playing. The Catalina upgrade hosed a lot of things.

That said, I am not pissed at Roon at all. They are diligently working on it. What good would getting upset and posting complaints accomplish? Rest assured, they know about the problem.

2 Likes

Okay, let’s wait. But I am not sure how long you are prepared to wait? Maybe 1 and half years? Maybe 2 years?

1 Like

You’re trolling. It’s obvious to any notionally sane person that a fix is a priority and that it’d be reasonable to expect it’d be sorted sooner rather than later.

4 Likes

Really??? I don’t know about the other users in this thread but I, for one, don’t use Adobe so I don’t care about that…what has Adobe being caught short have to do with Roon not working? Do two wrongs here make a right…don’t think so.

Again…Really??? Do you know for sure that they’re working on a fix because I for sure don’t. They haven’t told me anything other than a very short message posted three weeks ago…

Certainly not obvious to me…

That is absolutely correct and still, no matter how many posts there have been, still Roon steadfastly refuse to comment. That’s the problem…well, one of the problems.

3 Likes

Do you not at least think there should be a warning on the download section of the website that Roon core may not work on current versions of OSX?

5 Likes

One positive: this issue has forced me to listen to my favorites on Qobuz when using Roon, which I did not do as much before other than shuffling tracks between my library and Qobuz.

1 Like
1 Like

If it was just a permission issue the fix would have arrived a long time ago. I think @Anton_Petrov is right. The issue most probably has to do with the fact that they are using a cross platform framework to develop Roon. Sometimes this is a good business decision and sometimes it is not. Facebook used to do this with their app until they gave up. In about 1-2 years span they realized that in order to achieve a specific level of performance and be able to take advantage of some specific platform features you have to develop natively. So thats what they did. I remember reading in a thread on this forum that the Roon team plans to develop 2.0 natively but I cannot confirm 100% this is true. It would help immensely if this is true. More so now when you can have an iOS app share the code with the macOS app. Of course, this would mean native mobile apps also. And I for one want a native mobile app more than the desktop app since the mobile app cannot remember the previous step (the previous screen always reloads). A native app works differently. Anyway, I think the Roon team has to fix more than just the permission issue so thats why it takes so long. That really sucks for us but don’t think for a second that this issue is not frustrating for them also. It’s always a pain in the butt for a developer to work under this kind of pressure when your customers are complaining everyday and your product doesn’t work.

3 Likes

This kind of attack is most insulting and not very helpful. I am frustrated because I care, I want Roonlabs to be bigger than it is now, but this seems to be far-fetched.

1 Like

You’re confusing fact and attack.

1 Like

I recalled Steve Jobs made apologies publicly when there was a minor iPhone issue, and Tim Cook also made an apology when there was an Apple Map issue, and the number 2 guy at Apple was forced to resign as a result of the Apple Map bugs. This is an example of a company that takes their clients seriously.

I just Googled “Tim Cook Apologizes for Catalina” and the closest thing I found had the title “PSA: Don’t Be Surprised if Some Apps Have Issues With macOS Catalina, Like Hazel”. But it wasn’t from Tim Cook, or from Apple.
They must have changed their policy.

BUT, for the record, I do feel sorry so many music lovers have had to put up with this. I’d be bummed too.

1 Like

Photoshop and Lightroom CC working fine here
issue is with older, 32bit, releases and it’s years Apple has been stating 32bit apps support was coming to an end

1 Like

Why does Cook need to apologize for Catalina? I don’t understand? Everything they did is right, including warnings about 32bit apps, and a long beta cycle (including public beta) to help them with the testing.

Having said that, I really like your good sense of humor. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s also been some talk of splitting server and control functionality into two separate apps – Catalina maybe forcing their hand: Control from the iPad app with Catalyst, and a complete rewrite of server… which would explain what’s taking so long.

In response to your question @Quentin_in_FranCisco I was able to figure out a workable solution in a day or two. Here are some ideas…

Do you have a Roon compatible Windows laptop you can use as a core? Do you have internal drive space on your imac? Do you have other audio programs to spin music? Can you play music by disc, or via computer file without internet or wifi access.

These are all alternate solutions that I can use. I try to spend my energies to resolve the problem. I tend to try fix my own issues, sometimes being prepared through duplication.

This may have been a good idea at the outset, probably after the fact now.