macOS Catalina’s new security model broke Roon - how does this happen?

Come on now. I understand being upset, but Roon not wanting Mac users is many bridges too far.

Then I’m glad I bought an Innuos zen mini .

So, you can ascertain what their business model really is?

I can’t, all I can do is read the threads on this forum. Exactly what thread says more that we’re working on a solution?

Meanwhile, I get weekly emails about a new shiny doodad that supports ROON. And log in to ROON to discover new hardware from ROON. Seems to me, that’s where ROON’s resources are focused.

I understand they have to produce revenue and allocate resources accordingly. Just questioning if the cost of fixing the Catalina issue is worth the revenue form MAC subscribers, from ROON’s point of view.

2 Likes

As mentioned earlier, I have a Qobuz subscription and a collection of LPs to listen to. And yes, I am frustrated by reduced functionality. But think of it this way. You really want to listen to an album or a song? Like, really-really have to? Well, move that album to your internal drive. Takes less than a minute. Less than putting an LP on…
The real question is not functionality. The real question is, indeed, trust. And not in Roon’s ability or willingness to fix this particular problem. The whole software-dependent audiophile business is just moving too fast and in ways that are not entirely predictable. That is what prevents me from investing into any of the high-end servers at this stage. And may eventually prevent from supporting Roon.

Have they sent a partner update since this went down? (Maybe they have, I don’t remember.) But saying they don’t care about Mac users just sounds unserious, like that class action lawsuit threat (not from you) earlier in the thread. A boutique company ignoring Mac users would be suicide, and while I don’t know their business model, I’m willing to accept that they recognize this.

Just a question because I don’t know, but do the Adobe subscription models not work under Catalina?

I can understand that some legacy software does nor work under the increased security settings in Catalina, but is increased security a bad thing?

IMHO, much less virus activity, malware in Mac OSX.

PS—You need to switch to Rock or Windows comments not really useful in these forums as long as OSX continues to be an officially supported platform.

I’m as frustrated as everyone else with The Great OSX Catalina Software Debacle of 2019. I wish the transition went more smoothly too. But the problem is that Roon has gotten caught up in Apple’s attempts to further fence in its users. Linux, Windows and until these days OSX users did a reasonably good job of managing their software installs. These days, you’re at more risk by things that only impact your browser given most people rarely install much software anymore.

Remember when Apple used to brag about their OS being unvirusable, unhackable, totally safe? But now Apple has been pushing this “software not signed by the App Store is unsafe” rhetoric. And their goal is simple.

To make it impossible to publish an application for OSX running computers without Apple getting a financial cut of the action.

And face it, Roon’s userbase is impressive within the small subset of people who have additional software intentions for their music library. The vast majority of users simply never even consider it. Because they don’t need it. We do, admittedly. But the resources of Roon are only so much, and they didn’t bring this on themselves. It likely might be a better choice to just say it’s not going to work on Catalina until Apple changes their attitude.

So put down the torches. The mob can go home. And maybe listen to a record. So many of us have them. Because Roon likely is over-extending themselves in their investment to solve this problem fast. If you want this software working properly: phone Apple. Tell them that they broke your software and THEY have to fix it.

One last thing…

When’s the update coming, again?

5 Likes

And I’m supposed to magically find this, uh…where? A mention in an article in an obscure blog (136 followers???).

How about the folks who run Roon come right out HERE and tell us WTF???

2 Likes

No doubt Apple wants full control of its software. More so with each revision. Enjoyed your comments.

Besides, Apple will be into another 1 or 2 incarnations of their OS by then

Errrm no, true fact, Apple bring out new OS annually …

I am actually in sympathy with Roon, despite having been caught out by Catalina upgrade. I simply redirect my watched folders to a network share backup and trust Roon to sort this as and when

Adobe considers them bad enough that they recommend people not upgrade to Catalina until they can get the issues resolved but if you don’t have a problem using a crippled version of Photoshop, carry on. Too bad you can’t do the same with Roon.

Surely you can? Try creating a folder in a local drive and save a few albums you intend to listen to over the weekend or listen to streaming albums.

4 Likes

nope: Adobe knows how important to professional users some plugins are and despite the issue being beyond their control (some developers might also have gone out of business since) issued a very cautious advice to everyone so that users can carefully evaluate if they’ll be affected and take a resolution

exactly as it happened with Roon :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Apple did not break my Roon software!! It is only a subset of Roon users who are having this issue. If you are controlling Roon with a Catalina based laptop where Roon is running on another device ( in my case a sonicTransporter i5) you wouldn’t know anything changed without reading the threads on this site. Calling Apple and telling them that a minority of Roon users cannot currently use their software is a waste of time.

The title of this thread is too broad. It might have broke Roon for some users.

1 Like

You misunderstood me. PL_SVN is willing to overlook the things broken in Photoshop but apparently is unable to overlook or work around similar problems in Roon. I on the other hand don’t have to try your workaround because I wasn’t silly enough to upgrade to Catalina.

Apple announced the transition to 64 bits years ago. It’s Adobe’s fault for not updating some components of creative cloud by now. Apple has given developers years to work on this.

I agree but its the security and permissions issues I have that are killing my business programs.

I agree. What’s your point?

i have not updated my core to catalina, but did on my laptop, used as a control point. it hasn’t caused any problems with roon, but there have been a host other issues: for instances notifications for google calendar no longer work, so i’m constantly late for meetings…:slight_smile:

wrt Roon’s response, or lack thereof, i have no knowledge, but i would not be surprised if Roon was woking on a major release before EOY, and then the issues with catalina came up. so, they’re faced with the challenge of pushing out a major feature upgrade, and dealing with catalina bugs, all at the same time. its not surprising they’re heads down, and slow to respond to this thread.