macOS Catalina’s new security model broke Roon - how does this happen?

There are not some issues. IT DOESNT work

2 Likes

I’ve paid for a 12 month licence and as a result of this problem with Catalina I want to cancel my membership. Will I get a refund for the unexpired portion of the licence?
Simple question requiring a simple answer.

1 Like

Paging @accounts for you.

In all seriousess what am I supposed to with this. I clicked on it in your email and access was denied.
A simple yes or no would suffice.

That isn’t an email to you, its flagging the accounts team at Roon to get you an official answer.

1 Like

Don’t know what their unofficial policy is, but that’s what we agreed to.

Ok thank you for that info Tim.

Nearly 3 weeks and nothing’s changed, and Roon have not responded to my question of yesterday so that’s it.
I’m cancelling my subscription with immediate effect and consigning the appto where it belongs in the bin.

2 Likes

Followed up with you via email, @Stephen_Farndale1. Thanks!

Since this appears to be a longterm problem, at least longer than I care to not have access to my music library, any recommendations on similar services that work with Catalina?

My music library is considerable in size, so moving to internal drive isn’t an option.

I continue to be without Roon and getting the message “Error Loading Folder Unauthorized”. However there have been other non-Roon problems as I can’t get the Sonos app I use to load the library either and the “new” Music app in Catalina OS caused a lot of artwork issues.

Then please tell me how I can access my Music Library. I am pointing it on a file path that follows the same path as Music (iTunes). Why can’t I access my files?

Downgrade to Mojave.

2 Likes

Both Audirvana and JRiver work just fine with Catalina. They are good programs for large libraries.

1 Like

Well I’m getting pretty p1ssed about this. My library is on a USB-C drive attached to a 2018 MacMini. I saw the post that someone made (since deleted) about running Roon as root in Terminal and it works fine. BUT only after that I saw the warning from the Roon guys not to do that and that it’ll cause problems once the fix is (eventually) ready. So again, Roon, when will the fix be available, what damage have I done and what do I need to do to fix it?

Find a NUC and install Rock on it…

1 Like

I used Clean my Mac, to uninstall the Roon software … after that … it is ok …

2 Likes

Thanks. Maybe someone from Roon could join in. I do find it hard to understand how Roon ignored this problem, which apparently was present in all the Catalina betas. If it is fixable now, then it was then. I am sure there is a good explanation, but do wonder what it is and whether future MacOS updates will be given more careful consideration.

To anyone from Roon - @kevin perhaps?
What is the problem and when will it be resolved?

I have asked for a refund but my request has been ignored.
Back to digging up some CDs. Pretty poor show really.
Emailed in again asking for a fair pro-rata refund of some sorts.

1 Like