macOS Catalina’s new security model broke Roon - how does this happen?

This is why i bought a yearly subscription and the way these guys are Handling the problem is not going to be lifetime, after they sold you the lemon they just dont give a F***! What are you going to do cancel your lifetime? İf it these was a montly payment service they would have resolve it by now otherwise they wont get your money!

This is total scam!!! I do understand 1-2 days but no email no explanation no solution!!!

They might be some problems they said!! Wtf it is total dead!

1 Like

Right. The reasonable people are the ones comparing this to Adobe not updating their apps to 64Bit in order to run on the OS (utter laziness). Or the reasonable folks saying it’s Apple’s fault for updating the OS. The reasonable people think it’s acceptable for software companies to not test on the available betas for the 2nd or 3rd most used OS for their software when they had every chance to do so!

I think the actually reasonable people give Roon the benefit of the doubt on a bug here or there, but when your entire music library (and backups!!) isn’t accessible in Roon, you’ve let what most REASONABLE software professionals call a catastrophic bug into your product. You failed to do the basic testing that should be done anytime a new OS comes out (and before when given every opportunity to test it).

Apologists are indeed the folks who think it’s acceptable to let bugs of this severity into the wild. Even if they had this issue, QA’s job is to find the bugs and make sure the company is aware of them and can prepare users for them. In this case none of that happened. In my company if I let a bug of this severity slip by, I would be fired. Most companies would be embarrassed by being caught with their pants down this badly.

5 Likes

Can you access your external HD with the FINDER app?
If not, then the problem is with NOT ROON, but with your Mac. I know some HD file format types stopped being supported with recent Mac OS upgrades. So, if you setup your external HD quite a while ago, it is possible you choose a file format which is no longer supported.

Read move here:

Here is maybe a more pertinent article on the topic:

What bugs? The current Mac version of the Roon Core was written to work with Mojave, not Catalinia. Apple introduced a new OS and it has a lot of changes in it. There are no bugs on either side here. Just compatibility issues. If you want to run the Roon Core on a Mac and have it be compatible, run Mojave…

This is NOT a ROON issue but a CATALINA configuration issue:

Call it whatever you want. You’re drinking the koolaid if you think it’s professional to not know or notify users of incompatibility ahead of time. Also hilarious you ignore that users reported this with the beta and Roon simply didn’t know about the issue themselves. That wouldn’t fly in most software companies.

4 Likes

No one here is having trouble accessing their external storage. That’s not the problem. It’s Roon accessing it. Like I said users are pointing out very different and incorrect issues to support a false narrative, but my external storage is working fine and Audirvana, Plex and iTunes are all working with it just fine, as is finder.

5 Likes

Or make it double lifetime as long as you check in once in a while in person? :ghost:

I think this thread will be closed automatically if everyone is happy, no one has any good reason to complain, and no fake, lame excuse as to why Roon is not compatible with MacOS.

1 Like

Come on @Speed_Racer @Matt_Simpson is right, this is a huge fail by Roon not to communicate to their customers that Catalina would not work properly with Roon. They now have paying customers unable to use the software and at least two that I have seen asking for refunds, this does not bode well for them.

I cannot find anything on the website that states what versions of OSX will work with Roon, admittedly I haven’t delved too deeply but you would think it would be in plain sight for potential customers to see before they tried installing the software.

I am a Roon fan but if I had upgraded my Mac I would be extremely unhappy as well. Luckily I have been using software long enough and I have enough of a technical background to not believe the “it just works” philosophy. Others are not technically minded and when they see an upgrade is available just get excited and hit the “Upgrade” button without doing research.

3 Likes

@oneofmany

My comments were not about what Roon should have done or should be doing now in regards to communicating to customers that using macOS Catalina is a problem for a Roon Core. I commented specifically on the issue of bugs being let out in the wild as @Matt_Simpson stated in the post I responded to.

1 Like

Most companies consider that a bug. And as others have pointed out, the Roon website doesn’t list specific compatibility

1 Like

No, most companies do not consider that a bug. They consider it a compatibility issue. Stop acting like Roon ran over your dog…

3 Likes

Maybe it’s time for everyone to be quiet on this issue. All this BS is not solving anything. Go listen to some streaming music.

2 Likes

Like I said, call it what you want, it’s terrible business when the product isn’t usable for a significant portion of users with no timeline in place for a fix, no communication to current users and no warning publicly to potential users that it might not work on their configuration. [Moderated]

1 Like

Also a terrible response. I paid $500 to not have to listen to streaming music at inferior quality. I did so because I thought this company would keep their product functional

3 Likes

@accounts would be the place to make your request.

In lieu of the continued complaining about the same issue, maybe affected users should consider installing a couple of hundred GB of music on their internal imac hard drives. Users with large collections could peel off a portion of their collection and have a month or two of cataloged music to listen to. Streaming is a great option too.

Roon will fix this as soon as humanly possible, but all of the forum bellyaching wont do anything to fix it sooner. I’ve run into several problems myself with the Catalina upgrade too. It’s a computer. You just have to learn to patiently and calmly deal with it.

3 Likes

Can you explain what is inferior? What other music programs do you use? I have some pretty good equipment and I don’t find it inferior. I look forward to your response.

Streaming is certainly not as good in my book as stored music, but there are reasonable workarounds if you’re willing to complete them.

Everyone knows you can use and pay for a streaming service. I bought Roon to work with tens of thousands of dollars of Hi-Fi gear and playback hires files sounding superior to streaming formats. I have over 9,000 albums in 24bit or DSD, and the Apple Music app doesn’t cut it. I don’t want to use Audirvana. I truly feel like Roon is the best overall playback solution on the market. Probably why I got 5 other people to jump on board. I never found Tidal playback to sound as good so I canceled after my 6 mo free membership ended. So why would someone suggest an inferior sounding playback solution as a workaround?

You know your company screwed up when the defenders are suggesting using a streaming service for a product designed to play back locally (externally) stored audio files. Sure, we all get that it’s possible but am I going to pay to get Quboz or Tidal to work around Roon’s massive failure? Not a chance!!

2 Likes