macOS Catalina’s new security model broke Roon - how does this happen?

Someone would suggest a workaround to shut you up. It’s just music. Do whatever you have to do to listen until this gets fixed. Otherwise, turn on your radio. It’s not the end of the world.

2 Likes

It’s not the end of the world but the disingenuous responses on here acting like Roon is in the right are something I’m going to address because I care about the product. That’s the point of having a forum for feedback and discussion amongst paid users of your product.

I think discussions are beneficial when participants share information that is useful to others involved in the discussion. These threads about Catalina are not useful to anyone. Nobody involved has shared any information, just bickering back and forth.

I shared plenty of information. I dispelled the terrible analogies to companies not updating their 32bit apps to 64. The comparison to other audio apps (not suffering from this issue). And the ridiculous complaints that Apple is trying to make it hard to release macOS software without paying Apple.

This thread is full of people incorrectly assigning blame when it lays squarely on Roon.

2 Likes

There is plenty of blame to go around. However, that is not going to solve the problem. Ranting and raving is not going to solve the problem. If it’s that critical, have a Nucleus or NUC over-nighted.

Well if you can point me to anything genuine about falsely equating this issue with Adobe’s laziness, I’m open to it. Actually if you can point me to another app suffering this same exact issue in Catalina, I’m all ears. Still wouldn’t change the fact that Roon users reported the issue in beta, were ignored, and Roon’s own QA didn’t identify the issue. So yes, they’re absolutely ignorant and/or disingenuous comments.

1 Like

Maybe, but that’s in the past. I like to solve problems. There are some short term solutions and some long term solutions. I would chose one (or more).

1 Like

How about you put 500 hi-res albums on your internal drive to tide you over? You not going to listen to all of that music at once. That is a functional workaround, no loss in audio quality. It does require some effort, but it’ll get the job done.

Do you have a quasi recent Windows laptop. I can also use that to network my core. Doesn’t have to be super fast either. Mine is a 2010 Sony Vaio first gen i7 with 4 gb of RAM…I also have a lot invested, in good equipment and my first objective was to make it work.

Webroot internet software crashed too, and is not functional with Catalina. Webroot is still working on a fix.

Unfortunately I’m working remotely (and require the latest macOS for a few reasons) and taking care of my father indefinitely after a stroke. I’m using Plex for the time being. Only have a 128gb MBA with me, maybe 25gb free right now. I’m just not going to be doing any critical listening until the situation is resolved. And I’m ok with that. Just not ok with the defense of incompetent QA efforts as a QA engineer myself.

2 Likes

Do you have a DAP? My device is not Roon capable, but pretty handy, and they can hold a fair amount of music. I have a A&K Kann…quasi portable. Too heavy to exercise with, but mobile. I have 400 GB music files on it. Great with headphones.

Best wishes with your father’s health…

Sounds very much like me and my experience. The apologists in here who don’t have this problem have the gall to chip in with “this thread should be closed” or suggest purchasing yet another set up really annoy me. I set up a specced up I7 2018 Mac Mini (core) with external SSD linked via Cat 7 ethernet etc - it flys - super fast and sounds great. I’m not sure it could be any faster etc - ideal set up. To not see any recent input on a thread like this from a Roon rep is poor. Why excuse that? I don’t mind the wait in a way - if I there is good communication - but I’m wondering now if it will ever be fixed. Let Roon reps respond not apologists who don’t share the same problem.

2 Likes

@MarkO. No internal drive on that specced up MacMini? Looks like they are available with up to a 2TB SSD. Or did you only go with enough for the operating system?

Matt

Please take this in the friendly way it is intended but I am a bit surprised that with 9000+ 24 Bit and Hi Res files you are using a Mac as core even possibly a Mini. I started off with Roon using my iMac as core and found it to be something of a pain albeit not of the level being seen with the Catalina upgrade. I moved to NUC ROCK kit specced to Nucleus+ level with added SSD storage and it has been absolutely trouble free with (obviously) no problem with the Catalina upgrade.

Whilst this solution is probably over the top for what is, hopefully, a short term issue with Catalina and Roon, I strongly recommend it particularly for someone like yourself who clearly has a substantial investment both in music and system. It is not a significant cost in the overall scheme of things and takes away the reliance on ‘outwith’ Roon software.

What NUC did you go with?

Great suggestion! I am gearing up for a NUC Rock solution myself and I‘d be delighted to get some guidance as to which NUC/storage, etc. to use. Please PM me as not to go off-topic in this thread.
Regards,
Paul

Paul, PM Sent

Robert. I have included you in the PM to Paul below.

1 Like

… why? :no_mouth:
2.5k albums (1/3 in HiRes) here and I’ve been using a dedicated i7 quad-core Mac mini, without a single glitch/hiccup, for years (… before moving to ROCK on an overspecced Cirrus7 a couple of months ago :wink: )

How about (PM) me? :smile::point_up: