Matrix Mini-I Pro 3 : Roon ready or not?

Yes, i saw that and had one ready. And, btw, even the remote have a good metal feeling. Unlike most others that are light and plastic. The whole Mini feels and looks like a much more expensive thing. And it sounds very good too.

3 Likes

Quick heads up for you mini pro 3 guys.
I was sat here listening to mine 10 mins ago.
Was shuffling a soundtracks Playlist.
Had a freeze situation.
Audio was still playing but both the pro 3 and Roon 1.8 android 9 “now playing” screens were frozen (artwork & progress bar). Could still select new tunes but “now playing” remained frozen on the guilty tune.

Restarted Roon app and the pro 3.
Roon could then see it as a device but it could no longer be selected as an output via android or OSX.
Disable / enable device did not work.

A reboot of ROCK brought it back and it appears to be normal again.

Not sure if the pro 3 had crashed or whether the Droid app crashed it.

Had been streaming through an Element M all day whilst home office without any problems.

Will monitor.
:+1:

2 Likes

I would say that it most likely is a network error. A few days ago I had a similar experience and fixed it by replacing my powerline adaptors. Are you connecting the Mini-i by LAN or Wifi?

Could be the case. Pro 3 is wifi ATM.
Rest of home network appeared OK, though.
Wife was in kitchen listening via Roon on a wifi Play 5 at the pro 3 freeze point. The dog was watching YouTube on wifi also.
Neither of them had disruption.

See if you can hook it up with an ethernet cable. The built in Wifi reciever seems to be a bit weak and does not work well with mesh networks. This is from my own experience.

Not an option at the moment.
It’s located across the room from a Synology mesh router.
Gets a good signal.
First crash I’ve had of this type with Roon.
As stated, a ROCK reboot fixed it up.
Minor annoyance but thought I’d share to see if anybody else experiences it these days.

I tried WiFi for an hour or two just to see how well it worked with upscaled music. Got to say I was really impressed as not the slightest blip.
But it’s only a 4 meter cable run to the switch so it seemed silly to leave it like that

Mike

1 Like

Have had mine up and running in the office for a few hours now, and I have to say I’m totally gobsmacked. Replaced a first version Naim Unitiqute with a failed screen. Running it into a Naim 110 amp and Kef Ls50’s (near field). Incredible unit for the price (Pro version). Couldn’t be happier.

4 Likes

I was concerned about how this unit would handle switching sample rates too. I’ve played a number of tracks with different formats (flac, wav, and mp3), bits, and sample rates one after another and this unit is silent between tracks. I do upsample everything though.

My experience with the Mini-i Pro 3 has been great so far and I’m happy that I purchased it. The unit sounds great, has all the connectivity options that I could ever want, and the compact size works well with my desk setup. I have mine connected via ethernet and haven’t run into any bugs yet. The unit could be snappier when refreshing the album art between tracks. It seems to take around 4 seconds before the new album art comes up, but I don’t mind it.

2 Likes

Anyone running the non-Pro 3? I explicitly don’t want MQA so they only difference is the Crystek CCHD-950 clock on the Pro 3. Is that worth the price difference?

You also get wifi and Bluetooth with the Pro version. The clock do make a difference. :+1:

Has anyone tried theirs with IEMs by any chance? I believe that the unit has an oddly-high (22 ohm) output impedance, but don’t know if this creates any issues in practice.

If you don’t need MQA and WiFi (or the improved clock) then go with the base version. You save a decent amount on an otherwise identical device.

I normally say that I don’t need MQA, but I have listened to a few MQA album’s on Tidal which have sounded amazing over the balanced headphone feeding into my Sundara’s.

Highly recommended either way

Mike

Just bought one. Not here yet. But had a question on the IIS HDMI input. What can use it? Can I output DSD from my oppo? Or am I better off putting oppo/roon core/matrix all on Ethernet and letting roon do the rest? FYI - by roon I mean the nucleus.

If the oppo has the right outputs and the are the same type of connection then probably yes.
You could just play DSD from Roon, or are these physical SACD DISCS?

Mike

These are physical discs. I have no idea how to rip them and save to nucleus. Guess question is two fold. Do I connect the oppo to the IIS input or do I connect via Ethernet only and room can play the disc remotely.

Brian there is a thread on this forum I saw yesterday about ripping SACD for use with Roon

I think it’s this one here. Some of the early links are broken

But based on my using the digital inpus I would guess you would like able to feed from the Oppo anyway

Mike

I am not definite but I don’t think Sony allow you to output the DSD layer to an external connection. Not saying there aren’t ways around it but don’t think it is as simple as plugging in an HDMI cable.

You can’t use a normal Hdmi from an OPPO etc. It is just same cable, but the protocols are different. As I think it is, IIS (or i2s it is sometimes written) not yet standardized so different manufacturers may implement it differently. See I²S - Wikipedia for more info.
But the OPPO could use analog rca. Or better, since ı think the dac in the Matrix is better, coax.

I see that you’ve already received a few responses. I got the Pro mainly for the future convenience of being able to connect it via WiFi if I needed it in the future. As to the clock, I don’t know how much of a difference it makes to the sound quality, but I do know that this same Crystek clock is used on the higher model lines from Matrix Audio.

I’m fairly sure that both the pro and non pro support Bluetooth. The features specific to the Pro are MQA, WiFi, and the Crystek clock. Here is a pdf that I found on the first post of this thread on the Audio Science Review forum. It makes the differences and similarities between various Matrix Audio models very clear. I found it useful. So I hope it is for others as well.