Matrix Mini-I Pro 3 : Roon ready or not?

I have been waiting since september and bought the unit because MA advetised it as Roon ready. This is a bit annoing, maybe I should have got the Element i instead.

I am curious if there is any difference to the SQ using it as a Roon Ready device compared to an external source or Airplay.

Well Airplay maxes out at CD quality so it would depend on what you want to play.
To that end the music should sound pretty much the same. I don’t remember seeing Chromecast Audio on the specification as that can go to 24/96

I too would like one of these, though I saw Z review it last week and suggested the only difference between the standard and pro was that the pro had Wi-Fi and was suggesting to get the standard, but I suppose it depends on needs

Regards

Mike

The PRO version has a better clock as well and Bluetooth for those who use that. There is a comparison chart if you Google the unit.

Thanks for that additional information.
I will wait for Roon certification, but looking at a few different devices, but not for a couple of months.

Regards

Mike

Also MQA is Pro only.

Thanks Stefan, I now remember hearing that.
Not seeing much improvement listening to MQA music, but as a Tidal subscriber it would make sense to have it

Regards

Mike

I don’t care much for MQA myself. But the better clock and WiFi (which I try not to use, cable is better still, but nice to have the choice and WiFi gets better all the time) makes me interested in Pro; the price do not differ much if I keep it a year or more.

1 Like

That’s similar to my take on MQA.
Can take it or leave it but still find myself veering toward devices that can deal with it.

FWIW, I started this thread asking about the certification status on the Mini-I pro3. Whilst reading I found a used Element M at a very good price and bought that. The Matrix gear is very well made and sounds superb.

I would not hesitate in picking up the mini-I pro 3 (or other matrix units) and still plan to pick up the Pro 3 when it gets the certification process complete. I thinks it’s a no brainer based on feature set, quality and price point.

1 Like

Latest News by Matrix Corp.:

2 Likes

Hopefully promising for a January or February certification at least.

Mike

Yeah, if it was just going to be a few days I don’t think they would drop the Roon Ready promotional stuff.

That was my thought as well.
At the cost it will be a good boost to those wanting a really good, low cost Roon Endpoint.

Mike

Kudos to Matrix for the updates and honesty.
Unlike some manufacturers…

1 Like

So once the mini pro gets Roon certified, it looks to be the better deal vs me buying Pro-Ject streambox Ulra to go with my S2 ultra dac. Plus having only one box. I’ll be curious how the mini pro compares to the Pro -Ject two box combo

Post on the MA forum sounds promising :

"Hi guys, thanks for your patience and understanding.
Just got email from Roon, the latest firmware we submitted matches Roon Ready requirements. They will update the certification status in Roon software shortly.
Apologize for the delay again."

4 Likes

That’s great news. I know what I will hopefully be adding to my wish list :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mike

Cool!

I actually just went to the Matrix website last night to see if there were any updates.

Does it say if they are releasing a new firmware version or if it is the latest version that got the certification?

Based upon the news,I just pulled the trigger on the Mini I Pro 3. I will make some posts regarding it once I get the device up and running.