Max volume on start of playback via Airplay - Naim Mu-so & Mu-so Qb [Solved]

Hello @Stephen_C, @Tony_Rixon, and @Anthony_Saracino,

I just wanted to give an update and say that we are still actively iterating on this issue with the development team over at Naim, this issue is slightly more complicated than it may appear to be at face value as there are a lot of factors to account and test for. We do not take this issue lightly, a bug that causes damage to equipment or hearing is the worst case scenario in situations like this.

We will be sure to update this thread as soon as there is news to share from either our development team or Naimā€™s. In the meantime, we recommend that all customers set the maximum volume limit using the Naim app.

-John

1 Like

Thanks John, appreciate the feedback!

Hello, Iā€™m another Naim Mu-so user affected and I can confirm that even if you set the maximum volume to 20 it will go immediately to 100! At the moment Iā€™m always playing as first song something that is super quietā€¦ (e.g. Pink Floydā€™s Dark Side of The Moon opening song!) just to have enough time to turn it downā€¦

Iā€™ve used a Naim Mu-so with Roon for ages with no problem. Ironically, having recently moved house, I bought two more Mu-soā€™s and am having this problem with all 3 of them. Iā€™m obviously concerned about damaging any of the units by blasting off at 100% volume.

It only seems to occur when waking the units up and, whilst it is a slight faff, I have found that getting the Mu-so up and running first before trying to connect and play with Roon avoids the 100% spike.

What is the position of Naim? Is this supported use of an API to work with the hardware, or is this something hacked together to work? Bottom line - I take my music and equipment seriously. I paid over $500 for the Roon software for a lifetime license and opened this ticket months ago, since then seeing a major feature release but not yet a fix to a key quality and experience issue with potential to damage equipment that many on this thread encounter.

Roon has everything I want except mobile remote features. It just needs to work as advertised reliably with my equipment, and which is fairly mainstream gear.

I have the workaround in place - however this does not work all the time - still maxes at max of the now hard coded lower volume and causes inconsistencies with the volume sliders in Roon. And hard coding the naim at a lower volume because of Roon malfunction penalizes the device that works instead of fixing the app.

As an affected user, & engineer, I can understand that there may be many complexities involved in resolving software/hardware issues & can sympathise with those trying to resolve them. However, comments from support teams telling everyone ā€œweā€™re dealing, ticket open or itā€™s complexā€ doesnā€™t really help the enduser.

A more constructive approach in providing progress reports would be of benefit to everyone as readers of the forum & end users could then understand at what stage fixes are and expectations would ā€œadjustā€ accordingly.

Just a thought, but, after 3 months we, the end users, have absolutely no idea about how fault resolution is progressing.

1 Like

totaly, i manage a dev team at work that makes an internal only product and iā€™d give the same advice, but didnā€™t exactly want to when I get to be the customer. :slight_smile:

any updates? paying customers waiting since december.

Hi @nate_lynch,

Thanks for pinging us here again regarding this issue.

We have been actively discussing this issue and we have a ticket open internally that is currently in development. While this problem seems to occur even without Roon involved, we are hoping to implement a fix or workaround soon.

I canā€™t specify an exact timeline of when this change might ship, but we are hoping to have something in testing soon.

Thanks,
Noris

More of the same here. It would be good 4th o have a fix before my girlfriend leaves me. Did it to a muso qb that was about 5cm from her, sheā€™s not very happy this morning.

3 Likes

Same over here too. Looking forward to a fix befire they go bangā€¦As with others my misses isnā€™t happy at all. Went off this evening for the 2nd time and the kids are/were asleep :pleading_face::pleading_face::pleading_face::grimacing:

well, iā€™m giving up and selling my Naim stuff. bad solution, but i need to have a better experience at home. super annoying, because Roon is the best solution iā€™ve ever found, and this bug is like a turd on my ferrari hood for an otherwise awesome product. Anyone wanna buy a MuSo and 2 QBā€™s?

The delay is frustrating but you may be doing this in haste. Thereā€™s not much to touch the Musoā€™s and given a choice Iā€™d favour using the Naim app over Roon rather than switching to something inferior.

I have 3 QBā€™s and also a main Naim system. Iā€™m using the lms-to-upnp software to act as a bridge to my main system (Naim NDS) as this doesnā€™t support RAAT. This exposes the Musoā€™s (and NDS) as Squeezeboxes. It works really well and will operate the Musoā€™s complete with volume control. The sound quality is slightly better than Airplay too!

Do you have a device you could temporarily host lms-to-upnp while a solution is found? Itā€™s a solid workaround.

It does feel that this is within Roonā€™s remit to fix. I know from factory visits that Naim have to undertake stringent certifications to get Apple approval and the Musoā€™s seem fine when controlled with other software.

Hi @support i am really enjoying the Roon experience but this max volume issue is becoming an issue. Is there any timeline for a fix to this or is there a workaround?

Cheers

Hey @Sam_Smith @Chris_Y @nate_lynch @Trickydickie and others ā€“ we have a change coming in our next release that weā€™re hoping will address this issue.

I donā€™t have a timeline for the next release quite yet, but I wanted to reassure everyone we arenā€™t ignoring this.

Keep an eye out for our next release guys, and let us know how things are going once itā€™s live. Thanks!

1 Like

thanks. happy to field test a hotfix.

1 Like

Thanks Mike! Iā€™m with Nate, happy to test if need be.

Thanks again

1 Like

Thanks for keeping us updated! Appreciated.

this is reported fixed in latest 416 release, however immediately after updating and starting playback on muso volume went to 100%.

For me the update helped, my Mu-so didnā€™t jump to 100%.