Max volume on start of playback via Airplay - Naim Mu-so & Mu-so Qb [Solved]

It seems OK to me too.

Unfortunately all my Muso’s are hitting 100% volume after release 416. :frowning:

Update - Not sure what’s happening here, now some of the Muso’s are respecting the volume (even after power off). But not all, one muso is still hitting 100% vol when powering on. I’ll test further.

Update 2: No luck, Muso volume is still occasionally hitting max 100%. This is not good, worried that this erratic behaviour will damage my speakers. Gone back to the old method of limiting the volume from the NAIM app (which is a pain).

@support Sorry to say but mine are still jumping as well after the 416 update. However, the volume slider doesn’t jump to 100% but the audible level certainly goes to 100%.

Its happened 3 times today already after leaving it idle then restarting playback. It doesn’t do this if i just stop it and start again, immediatley.
I have it set up as a group “Downstairs” consisting of a Mu-So and Qb. 1st time since the update only the kitchen one went to 100%, second time only the Livingroom one went to 100% (both times i had selected downstairs to play) lastly both went to 100%

Thanks

Just tried it after the update. My Muso QB started up at 100%

Clearly this is NOT fixed.

I can assure that the issue is not fixed after upgrading. I have two Qbs and both jump to 100%.

Regrettably, I also have to report that the volume issue persists on both MuSo & MuSo QB :disappointed_relieved:

Hello Everyone,

Sorry to hear that the Roon update hasn’t fixed this issue for everyone, we are still investigating why it appears that some users are resolved while other are not.

As soon as we have any new details to share, myself or someone from the Roon team will be sure to update you.

– Noris

2 Likes

+1 - it happens to me aswell, twice already… Tried after a full power off/on - no luck…

confirming bug is still impacting me.

Bug not fixed for me either.

slightly different behavior for me - the volume sliders on roon seem to stay where i set them, but the MuSo’s and MuSo QB start at max, despite what the roon sliders say, and then i adjust them just a tick and it goes to normal.

I have the same problem, but have patched it by setting Roon overhead management (?) to -20 dB. This makes the Muso with volume at 100 listenable, and enables you to adjust it to your liking once it’s playing. Give it a try.

This “fix” was suggested around December 2018 but unfortunately for many it doesn’t work. :roll_eyes:

Suggested in this thread? Sorry. Missed it.

Nope, not this thread, there have been a few different threads & the mods have split a few as well.
This one has a bit more detail Volume jumping to 100%

As far as I can see, these threads advise setting volume limits. I’ve tried that too and, you’re right, it doesn’t work. What I’m suggesting is to set Roon’s DSP headroom management tool to -20 dB or so. That way, when your Naim device starts up at 100% volume, it will not deafen you or blow out your speakers, and you can then adjust the volume to your liking.

Sorry I misunderstood, will give it a try and report back.
However, to hear the device the volume needs to be turned up so, unless it is manually reduced again, prior to powering down, the problem may well persist.
A quick check shows -20dB reduces volume too much for practical purposes, I’m working at -10dB but due to the intermittent nature of the problem, for me, I’ll give it a few hours.

DSP headroom activated at -10 & -20dB, when powering on Maximum volume again :roll_eyes:
It was worth a try but the problem persists.

Right. Roon’s Headroom Management tool will not change the behavior of your Naim device. What it does is change the quantum of sound that is being sent to that device. As a result, when the Naim powers up at 100%, its output will not blow your speakers.

My advice is to set the headroom at a level a little louder than you would normally listen, but not so loud as to be a problem. (In my case that’s -20dB; yours may be different.) Then use the volume slider to reduce the volume to your preferred level. Alterntaively, if you set the headroom level too low, you can always incease the volume by changing the headroom level. It’s just easier to use the slider.

Again, this is not a solution to the problem, just a patch to make it tolerable until Roon and Naim get it together.

Why is there more work from users on this forum trying to fix this themselves than @support trying to work with real paying users to fix this who have the issue? December 2018 ticket opened.