Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa

Made me laugh out loud :rofl:. Hold up Slim!

1 Like

It’s still around. In fact, Paul McGowan of PS Audio wrote something about it not too long ago. Obviously it can be exagerated, but it’s not “snake oil” to claim that cleaning connections could make them work better.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?1652-Contact-Cleaning-The-Right-
http://www.kontakaudio.com/
Stuffhttps://forum.psaudio.com/t/contact-cleaner/3603

If you’ve ever repaired vintage audio gear, then you’ll know that this thing really works.

1 Like

No of course not, never said it was. However, if using quality ‘gold on gold’ connectors, there is little to be gained by using any fluid to ‘improve’ connectivity.

On a separate note, I have heard more than enough of Paul McGowan’s opinions recently…:weary:

1 Like

Vintage audio gear is ‘tin on tin’ which is just a bad contact waiting to happen!

And what about the 150 feet of cheap 12-2 Romex from your power panel to you wall outlet, and all the splices in jboxes with cheap wirenuts, etc… ???

Beefing up the last 2 feet of the run will make a difference ?

2 Likes

The alternate view is that it isn’t “the last 2 feet”, but 2 feet of an infinite loop going back to your electric generation. The idea is that clean 2 feet before your device can make a difference.
I’m not making the argument, just bringing it up.

Here’s the latest. No further comment necessary -

2 Likes

How many ferrites will you attach to your new cables? I hear a prime number works best? :smile:

1 Like

P.S. Thanks for pointing these out. I’ll give them a try.

1 Like

Fifty-three.

Yeah, if you do try the cables, I’d be interested in your impressions.

:sunglasses:

It’s a good attitude. I could see spending $35 for something I thought made a difference and not bothering to do a double blind test (but being of a scientific bent and knowing no accepted explanation for why any power cord should make a difference, I probably would). On the other hand, if I had spent $1500 and couldn’t hear any difference, I would invoke the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and conclude double blind tests can never be valid because the ABX switching mechanism of necessity distorts the delicate musical balance of the device under test. Or that it simply isn’t the way we naturally listen to music, which seems to be the current argument.

But for 35 bucks, if you like the looks and feel it might improve the sound why not? Enjoy it!

1 Like

Not sure I get the alternative view. Is the last 2 feet supposed to be removing noise? If so, why not just use a power line filter? Where does the noise that would otherwise get into the last 2 feet come from? I understand you’re not making the argument, but I’ve never heard an explanation from anyone.

Your power comes out of a transformer, runs along the street connected to other peoples houses with anything from toasters to welders connected. Then it goes through your switchboard, some cheap arse circuit breaker and along your house wiring that costs under a dollar a meter, finally it’s terminated in a $5 power point.

That 1m of very pretty cable plugged into that $5 power point is sure to make all the difference.

1 Like

Don’t you just LOVE t’ Internet ? They created a term called YMMV - great !!

I’ve been going nuts trying to decide what to buy or whether to buy:

Fuses
Power cords
Interconnects
Conditioners
Receptacles

I find it almost impossible to decide what to buy. When so many people insist it’s snake oil and others insist they can hear a difference it’s unsettling. I don’t like that it can’t be measured and I don’t trust my ears and the placebo effect.

My audio repair guy (I think the world of him) suggests one of the more important things to do is to clean all the connections. Here’s a really really good write up on it from the Galen Carol website.
https://www.gcaudio.com/tips-tricks/how-to-improve-your-system-for-free-almost/

I finally did buy receptacles from PS Audio (I can’t hear a difference)
I finally did buy the eight receptacle surge protection conditioner from Brickwall. (I can’t hear a difference). I do feel good that the surge protection can’t be defeated and the rack mount feature helped clean up the wire jungle behind my stereo console.

Snake oil salesmen are benign positive contributors to society compared to the peddlers of spurious esoterica to the hifi enthusiast.

1 Like

If it costs more than, what to you, would be chump change then don’t buy it. That’s my philosophy.

With monoblocks this is too easy - just use different power cables for each amp and compare the SQ difference between left and right channels :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Here’s why audio power cables will not improve sound:

1 Like