Melco £1999 ethernet switch

:flushed: What amplification and speakers are at the receiving end of all that?

They feed a Linn Klimax Kontrol, and then two Linn C4100’s, supplying ‘Aktiv’ Linn Majik 140’s and a Majik126.
The system is a bit ‘source heavy’, but it makes music. That’s all that matters :grinning:

2 Likes

I’m sure it sounds good. No reason it wouldn’t.

1 Like

I sometimes think about listening to a set of Akubarik’s, but I’m just so happy with the 140’s that it never happens? Probably not a bad thing!? :roll_eyes:

Wise words…

Interesting…
I’d love to hear more? Why did you choose to spend $10k on network switches?

Nope, but if you do it will likely cost you money. After the room, speakers are the biggest influence on what you do or don’t get out of the equation.

1 Like

I think it’s fine to spend as much as you want for whatever reason as long as you can afford it and aren’t depriving your spouse and/or kids and are also doing your fair share of helping others.

1 Like

Absolutely :+1:

I agree.
But I do ‘fantasise’ about ‘trading the wife in’ occasionally. She thinks an Amazon Echo sounds good enough :persevere:

2 Likes

Why do you think I have a Bose Soundtouch 300 soundbar with subwoofer? It does actually sound very good, thank goodness.

1 Like

I agree, but sometimes even having the cash isn’t enough to make the decision easy. Back in 2004 it took me a year to get my head around buying active speakers and preamp for more money than the brand new car I’d bought a few months earlier. I’ve never looked back and it’s made for many fantastic hours listening over many years. Still, the equation doesn’t sit easy with me.

To top it off I’m such a cheapass I’ve got it hooked up to a £35 Raspberry Pi feeding a £360 USB > AES/EBU transport feeding Schitt Yggdrasil DAC.

1 Like

I never said it is easy. However, that decision would have been easy for me.

1 Like

You’d have spent the cash on the car?

1 Like

I don’t think so? :wink:

1 Like

Dunno, sounds like speed is the man’s passion.

1 Like

I dread to think how much I spent on vinyl. Some would say since CD was invented that was as stupid as a posh switch too. I wouldn’t argue against the science either but I still love the sound.

2 Likes

I would have invested the cash.

Yes, also used to skydive. I’m into adrenaline.

2 Likes

I wish I still had all the original Beatles albums I bought in the mid-60’s. They disappeared when I left home for college. My little brothers (3) took care of everything I left at home.