I opened a topic on Saturday with the same issued (after many hours trying to resolve) it appears that my Roon Core on iMac streaming to my Roon Remote on iPhone or iPad is spiking memory but not actually swapping memory to SSD but the Roon Remotes become unusable.
When close the Roon Core window and wait 60 seconds and then reopen = all remotes function for around 15 minutes then they get sluggish and I need to restart Roon Core again by closing and starting the Roon app again. I would love to know how to solve this problem.
I’m having the same issues… been running Roon on this NUC for years without problems… When this happens Roon is mostly unusable, stops all the time and generally sluggish all over. The fan is going nuts on my NUC when it happens, and I’ve tried running Win Update, cleaning it for dust, restarting, letting it rest with RoonAppliance running for a while… sometimes it works, other times not, and it seems there are no system to when it starts going of the rails.
Have been hoping for a fix for a while but seems to be persistent.
If I see it correct you’re using powerline Ethernet. Does this mean the core is also connected by this?
Note all posts concerning this are using WiFi.
Plz note this Roon recommended network practice
Ethernet Over Power (EoP)
The quality of Ethernet Over Power solutions varies quite a bit, and generally it will be less reliable than Ethernet. There are times it can work well, but if you’re having a problem and powerline ethernet is involved, we recommend temporarily replacing the ethernet over power connection with a real ethernet cable to see if things improve.
Plz read more here
And yes it could have worked for years but what if something from the neighborhood starts interfering with your WiFi network?
Thanks for your response. There did seem to be a correlation with search when the problem was occurring. But I also did see the problem without performing a search, too.
Since the build 1232 update, it’s been working fine, though. As a test, I tried performing some Roon searches on my iPad, and didn’t see a big jump in memory usage on my core. I haven’t installed the 1234 release from today. 1232 seems to have improved search speed quite a bit!
I’ll keep this thread open while you continue to test things out. If you run into this issue again, sharing the specific date and time and the device (and track name, if applicable) would be great for our team to have on hand to review your account diagnostics.