Merging NADAC when will it be determined Roon Ready

You mean RoonReady over Ravenna right? Not just the typical Ravenna implementation where the DAC appears as like a USB DAC, but tighter integration with the DAC?

I heard Dom mention something about this in his interview with Chris as CA Forum.

Thanks for this link, a great listen.

.sjb

1 Like

The Zman will run both RAAT and Ravenna. For most Roon users who have 2 channel passive rigs, RAAT will be the better choice as it will enable use of the advanced Roon features Danny mentioned earlier. Like Dom said in the interview, sound quality will be identical between RAAT and Ravenna. What will determine the sound quality of a product using the Zman is the motherboard implementation the OEM manufacturers build to accommodate the Zman. The board layout, clocks used, clocking scheme, power supplies and regulation will determine the end result. The Zman is just the brain that will allow this system to function. They could even implement HQP NAA in the Zman if they wanted. But thereā€™s really no advantage as it doesnā€™t allow for advanced application specific features to be enabled in HQP like RAAT does in Roon. So really no point.

1 Like

Will the MQA over Ravenna that Dom mentions in the interview, likely enable unfolding up to 24/192? Or even 24/384?

Iā€™m not sure all those details are confidential. But All of the unfolding will need to take place in the Zman as no DAC chip on the market has built in decoding yet. And a system utilizing the Zman wonā€™t have any other processor following it.

1 Like

Hi Danny,

Apologies for my silliness here but what will this Ravenna in ROCK work bring to the table, thatā€™s different to the NADAC being certified RoonReady?

In terms of added/different functionality/capabilities

Cheers in advance

I can not speak about NADAC becoming Roon Ready.

RAAT/Roon Ready offers a few things that Ravenna does not, such as zone grouping with other RAAT endpoints and Signal Path functionality.

Ravenna offers an AES67 compatible solution for its own endpoint grouping.

Ok, Iā€™ll ask Merging about Roon Ready.

So just trying to connect the dots, Ravenna will support RAAT but not zone grouping with other RAAT endpoints? And this is what you meant by the below? i.e. you are working on adding Ravenna support to ROCK / Roon OS?

It didnā€™t help with my confusion when in the interview linked above, Dom said Ravenna would be Roon Ready. Unless he only meant Ravenna would support RAAT. I can ask him to clarify I guess.

Edit: I re-listened from the 35 minute mark. My memory of what Dom said appears wrong. It looks like I also confused NADAC with his talk of the Zman board.

Zman will be Ravenna and Roon Ready. ROCK needs a special driver to support Ravenna.

Gotcha, thx

Can someone post some current status for the Merging NADAC and how it can be utilised in a Roon system today?
Do the Merging products need the +Player-version with its Core+Bridge? Or could a Merging+NADAC 8ch DAC be used with Ravenna?

Drivers are available to download for Windows and IOS that allow the Standard NADAC to use Ethernet connection to play music. It currently does not easily work with Linux Roon boxes nor with ROCK.

Thank you Cyrus,
That confirmed my suspicion.
Atb Mike

Of course,
To be fair, I use the NADAC with a Windows 10 PC and am very, very happy with it. I sometimes get frustrated by windows update procedure but other than that, I only have good things to say. Oh, and it sounds great in my system.
The Linux driver problem (no expertise here) seems related to they way drivers are incorporated into Linux, not a specific issue for the NADAC.

This was/is good news, for Ravenna coming to ROCK?

Iā€™ve been planning to get a Hapi + DA8P DAC module for a while but waiting for Linux support first.

Are there plans to incorporate into ROCK?

Thanks

What is Ravenna, what does it bring to home hifi?

Place of Danteā€™s death:

Also:

I mentioned the Merging Hapi above. As one example, I have a friend using an 8-channel Merging Hapi for his 8-channel HQPlayer DSP with his 2.2 channel active speaker system (digital crossover).

At the moment heā€™s forced to use HQPlayer on Windows. HQPlayer is working to support the ALSA Linux driverā€¦ He doesnā€™t use Roon (tried it and hates it for his classical library).

Someone else may want to do the exact same thing but use ROCK.

Just one example. Could think of more use cases in the home. Just depends on individual needs/interests. Wonā€™t suit or bring something to everyone, just like other audio over the network solutions wonā€™t suit everyone at home (like the above example where Roon doesnā€™t suit him).

Oh thatā€™s hysterically funny. I had no idea.

For those not in the know:

Dante (pro audio network protocol c.2006 and market leader)
Ravenna (competing pro audio network protocol c.2010)

4 Likes

I assume there is silence from @danny since I asked last week, because it will take some time to test.

Hopefully Merging can send Danny a Hapi, Horus and upcoming Anubis (which features the hyped Zman board), i.e. not just test with NADAC.