Meridian ID41 Zone disappeared [resolved]

No worries Russ…Meridian always made great sounding kit IMHO…but the “dark arts” of keeping them alive, maintained and updated always more than a little to be desired…which is why some of these non-obvious things are only slowly coming back to me

Dmitry’s experience was common in those early days…and was usually easily solved with the reset button [which was an easy but non-documented way of bringing it back to life]

Why Meridian removed it from the 818 is a mystery to me…come to think of it, there likely is a way…and if Meridian were available this morning, they would likely say that it’s easily achieved by “holding the right button & left buttons…combined with the rear power off switch…all whilst doing a hand-stand” :wink: …and please anyone reading, Don’t try this at home :wink:

I notice that the ID41 is on build 164 so that is actually quite old. M did issue later builds for some network stability issues. Mine is on 168 and I am not 100% that is actually latest either.

Just wonder if the IPv6 codes in 1.3 don’t play well with the older 164.

Suggest getting the ID41 firmware updated. Use the Sooloos config app for that. If that doesn’t work there are manual ways to get firmware onto the M end points but let’s try normal methods first.

@ncpl 169 is the latest fw for the ID41, time to run Sooloos config :grinning:

Dmitry’s issue is Sooloos config can’t see his ID41!

Russ

Thanks Russ.

That must be a network issue. Either cable, switch…something like that.

Does the ID41 get seen by Sooloos config in the simplest of networks? That is where I would go next…turn everything else off, use one switch only etc.

@ncpl, agreed, back to a very basic setup and test.

Russ

Sorry Nick, not sure I can agree with you here…given our multiple 2015 experiences of Endpoints being knocked off the network and being brought back to life by Resets, Power toggles or Re-typing

The key for me here…and why the first thing I wouldn’t point at the network or cables are

1. Dmitry was using his ID41 without issue until the v1.3 upgrade

2. Fing can see the ID41 without issue

3. the ID41 is responding to a network query / browse for information…all of which says that the ID41 is alive, but slightly off kilter…which is what we used to see when either Sooloos or Roon knocked our endpoints off the network

@ronnie,

I tend to agree with you.

Will start with typing my 818 and see if it helps at least to see it in the Sooloos Config app to be able to update ID41.

818 is almost next to core and I have tried swapping the outputs in the switch, but as Ronnie has mentioned, it is pinged and seen everywhere. I can even access its basic settings via browser when typing its IP.

Thanks everyone else for the input.

Will keep on fighting.

Typing 818 did not help.
Will wait till the cable has arrived and ill try to update the firmware of 818 and then hopefully ID41 via Sooloos Config App.
If anyone has more ideas in the meantime - I will be happy to try them out.

Can you outline your network topology… Specifically how your 818 is connected to your Router

There have been some reports of issues of those newish Sky Q boxes not playing nice with Meridian kit

Is it possible to temporarily switch back to your previous main router…

And also can you temporarily connect your 818, and your NUC Roon Server to the same Switch… And see if that enables Roon to see the ID41

Not sure if Sky are still insisting on those new Sky Q boxes being the Hub for the home network??..but below is a link to some issues Meridian users have when using the Sky Q boxes as well…not sure if we’re seeing the same issue here or not

Hi Ronnie, it has nothing to do with sky. My network set up has not change since installation: BT home hub 5 as the main router feeding from open the openreach box (fiber optics straight into my home), then from router it goes directly to 818 and NUC running core via audiophile grade cat6 cables. The rest of the home network are via 8 port gigabit switch, a very reliable metal box by Netgear.
I got sky Q about a month ago, but it is simply hardwired in my home network using the same gigabit switch.

@dmitry As this issue seems so strange can you try for testing purposes powering off the 818 and moving it’s network connection to the switch rather than the router, I had fibre to the house in a previous property and I replaced the HH5 with an Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station which worked perfectly. Let us know how it goes?

Russ

The fact that Sooloos Config can’t see you ID41 may be unrelated to your Roon issue, but you absolutely have to upgrade your ID41 firmware to the latest as we all have it and our ID41s are working fine.

You need to turn off all possible firewalls on your PC.

Thanks @Ludwig.
Update is the route to go anyway and the fact that you have Roon 1.3 working is very inspiring indeed.
I did check the firewall settings.
Will get the cable and do some DIY updating:)

Hi @Ludwig Nic
If memory serves, you also had an 818 during that period of time when testing Roon + Sooloos peacefully co-existence…and endpoints kept falling off the network

As a result, are you aware of any method for resetting the ID41 in the 818, such as the one used for a reset of the ID41 in the 861 and 808??

Sorry, no I never tried to reset it.

Have you tried the Sooloos config on any other PC ?

Also, have you tried it when the NUC with Roonserver is turned off?

Both of these will at least rule some things in or out.

Still clutching at straws but I think we have to work on updating the ID41 card.
You don’t need a cable for that AFAIK?

@ncpl no cable required just run the latest updated version of Sooloos config but the update will fail is Sooloos config can’t see it!

Russ

Hi Russ, I see that. But just want to clarify what should happen. As we cannot be sure if it is the card itself or something w.r.t. network we have to find a way to break through that.

I would reduce network to a minimum to see if Sooloos config can see and update. PC-cable-switch-cable-818. All anti-virus and firewall off. Keep Roon out of that just to be sure.

Beyond that I am out of ideas.

@ncpl good plan, I suggested moving the 818 from the router/hub to the separate switch.

Russ