Merry Christmas - Anything Hifi planned for next year?

Love it!

4 Likes

Just had a read on their website. Hmmā€¦ Iā€™m intrigued! Out of my budget, but Iā€™d like it.

To be entirely honest itā€™s out of my budget. Itā€™s not something I can just buy and will require plenty saving.

Hopefully will all be worth it in the end.

Bob, how does the Sonic Transporter i5 compare to a Mac?

The comparison is a bit hard to do because I had the Mac Mini connected directly to the DAC and with the Sonic Transporter I have the microrendu there.

The whole system now has more dynamics and much larger sound stage. There is more bass and much more detail in the uppper registers.

I am set up testing with three different Roon Core devices. I have been running with an i7 NUC/ROCK for the last couple of weeks and yesterday I switched back to the Sonic Transporter i5. I will be listening to it for at least a week! In my initial listening last night and a bit today. The ST sounds less forward and the staging is different. I have a couple of tracks that have more detail. As an example on the Loreena Mckennitt album ā€œThe Mummers Danceā€. The track of that name has a triangle in the left channel that is off in the background and on the NUC/ROCK I could not hear it. When I moved to the ST it just jumped out and hit me. On the album ā€œElementalā€ the track Lullaby the male voice speaking the track is much more distinct and I would say realistic.

The NUC/ROCK seems to have some brashness or something on some female volcals that sort of grates on my ears. The Sonic Transporter seems to drop that down a lot.

I have to listen to a lot more music to finish this. I have some other gear on order to evaluate!

The Mac Mini is in the same computer rack as the other devices so I can do a Roon Core on it again and try it. Time and need permitting.

Above my budget for a 4k Aries G2 streamer but certainly looks stylish and well built; I believe all playback and settings functionalities together with the LCD screen can be controlled via the unit itself without the use of LDS software. This is pretty cool, like a fully functional standalone Hi-Fi streamer. If use it as an endpoint it is pretty a waste.

Iā€™m using Aries Mini as an endpoint or as a streamer switchable and with Roon up-sampling feature to my Holo Spring R2R DAC. What I looking forward is MQA decoding in Roon and new streaming service provider, Deezer Hi-Fi.

1 Like

Guess you Techy folks donā€™t want to hear about my new conrad-johnson ART tube amplifier now on order. It will play from their GAT tube preamp and power Wilson Yvette speakers. Be nice to vacuum tubes, they sound the best!

1 Like

Amen to that! :smile:

At least no one has askedā€¦ ā€œWhat is a vacuum tubeā€.

1 Like

Haha! Love this comment.

Doge 8 preamp and Manley Snappers here. Tubes rock.

Indeed. Tubes sound much more natural to me :+1:
Therefore my DAC (Lampizator Golden Gate) also uses tubes :sunglasses:

Jadis i35 here :sunglasses:

I would be very interested who has what tube gear but we should start a new thread for that as it is off topic in this thread unless you intend to get tube gearā€¦

I just started such a thread: Any tube heads here?

1 Like

I just bought a new Naim HiCap and Chord Company Signature Reference speaker cable. At the end of January Iā€™m going to by Neat Accoustic SX5-i speakers and at the end of March I will be the proud owner of a Naim NDX network player. So enough to be happy about to spend my earningsšŸ˜¬.

1 Like

Bet that will cost a pretty penny.

Yes it wil cost but itā€™s for a good causešŸ¤“

1 Like

Built my first amp with tubes when I was at school ā€¦ wow I must be OLD ā€¦

1 Like

Unless that was yesterdayā€¦

1 Like

So how did it go? Iā€™m eager to hear.

Any pictures to share?