Metadata/Tidal issues again

Again Tidal and metadata issues, problems are same as in previous support case that was solved by changing DNS to Cloudflare. But even that have not worked today.

Setup/environment details have not changed from previous:

I like Roon and use it everyday but these Tidal/DNS issues are really starting to worry me.

Update to this one, yesterday I changed Cloudflare DNS to OpenDNS and after that Roon has worked. Was there wider DNS issues on Saturday and Sunday? Still worried why Roon have these problems and other software do not.

1 Like

@ds_2

Count me in on this as well. Looks like we have similar issues with missing metadata.

I have had very annoying missing metadata issues within Roon Radio/Tidal for some time now.

These problems appeared completely out of the blue immediately following a specific major Roon software update (Version 1.7), and I reported them at the time to Roon support. Unfortunately, the only advice I received from Roon was to try changing my DNS server which I cannot do because it is prohibited by my ISP.

I was delighted when the problem appeared to be completely resolved by a Roon software release in June 2019 (can’t remember the specific build number). This resolved the issue completely for a number of months, but to my dismay the problem resurfaced a few months later with the release of Roon update build 610, and has remained an issue ever since then.

I have reissued a support query, but unfortunately despite my prompt for an update has remained unanswered up to now.

I remain (slightly) hopeful that Roon will resolve the problem with a future software update, but I am not holding my breath. It’s really annoying, because in every other way Roon is far and away the best music GUI that I have used.

1 Like

Hello @ds_2,

Since the DNS change, has the system been stable?
Have you still seen the error occur?

Hi @noris, thank you for checking!

Yes, both Cloudflare and OpenDns work. I have done multiple tests to find out how this is now happening.

Shut down Rock (first stop roon)
Shut down and restart modem and wifi router (DNS is set here)
Start Rock
Verify that Cloudflare is used with DNS address check web site
At this point Tidal does not work
I need to open wifi router settings and change something and apply changes
After that Roon with Tidal works

I still hope that you can find something in future to prevent Tidal/metadata issues because several people have reported them.

Originally (earlier support case) my problems started after months of use without any changes, then I was using DNS from ISP.

1 Like

@support

This is my experience as well.

I have used my existing ISP for very many years (10+), and Roon worked perfectly for me for approximately a year prior to update version 1.7. Following update 1.7 the metadata problem persisted until another update version (June 2019) resolved it, and then software build 610 caused the problem to return.

Over this period, my ISP, my ISP’s DNS and my home network have remained unchanged. The only trigger for the problems occurring (and also the temporary fix that lasted for a short period of time) has been the implementation of Roon software updates. The occurrences and temporary fix of the problems have all coincided exactly with Roon software releases.

The recurrence of the problem in my case has to be down to regression issues with Roon software updates.

I use my ISP for a number of package services (in addition to broadband provision) which prevents me from moving to an alternative ISP, and my ISP blocks any attempts to change DNS. Consequently, my only hope for a resolution lies with Roon Support identifying the issue that causes the problem and reinstating the fix originally implemented in June 2019, but lost with software build 610…

As I explained in previous support case, I also did not have these issues until summer 610 release. Btw, I do not know if this helps but I did not change DNS to my ISP cable modem, I changed it to wifi router and now it overruns modem DNS.

Thanks for this @ds_2,

My ISP’s cable modem is also my wi-fi router - it provides services such as multi-room TV access via wi-fi and so I would be reluctant to change and lose these. I have also been advised by members of my ISP’s forum that any changes to DNS made on ‘my end’ of the network would be blocked and over-ridden by my ISP via their cable modem.

I am pretty sure that my only chance of a resolution is for Roon Support to reinstate the fix in June 2019 that was lost with build 610.

Glad you have a solution though.

Thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.