Metal music discussion šŸ¤˜ [2021-01]

I am with you on this one! Finish Metal is great. I would add Swedish too, specifically Gothenburg style melodic death, like early Opeth, Dark Tranquility, In Flames, At the Gates.

As for the Finnish, I have seen Nightwish live twice, Sonata Arctica also twice, Edguy once

1 Like

From a swedish perspective, pur musical legacy is Ace of Base, Abba, Swedish House Mafia and Metal, lotā€™s of metal! :slight_smile:

A couple of great swedish bands of the lighter metal style, something you can play for your mother so to speak:

I would like to recommend also the third nordic country that does produce some excellent metal in various shapes and sizes, and thatā€™s of course Norway.

Of course Turbonegro has to be mentioned, they were (imo) some form of catalyst for Norwegian metal movement.

5 Likes

Mikael thanks for sharing those.
I will test s few out and see if my mother would approve :grin:

Mike

2 Likes

Great album by Wilderun
Even the cover ā€œseventh son of a seventh sonā€ is worthy of the original

1 Like

My favourite album for some years. Lowrider ā€˜Refractionsā€™. Also a band from Sweden as it happens. Grab it on Bandcamp and crank it up!

5 Likes

Damned, thats really fatā€™nā€™fuzzy! Thanks man!

You are welcome! EnjoyšŸ˜ˆ

1 Like

Peter just catching up on yesterdays recommendations and I am three tracks in and The Wake of Magellan is just great. Screaming guitars and clean vocals

I have Hollenthonā€™s With Vilest Worms to Dwell lined up next if my mobile can stay a bit quieter, it would help.

Mike

1 Like

Sweden is quite a source for metal bands:

RoonShareImage-637477760379230830

The pioneers of black, viking and pagan metal.

3 Likes

Hi Mike

yes, ā€œThe Wake of Magellanā€ is also one of my favorites.

I am a Verdi like music listener. Big, fat, massive, bombastic. If you like this one, there is a band which came out of Savatage. Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Itā€™s very Christmas related what they do. But I like them a lot. I saw them in Wacken playing on two stages at same time. I like the combination of Guitar, Piano and Orchstra. It is also worth to watch their vidoes on Youtube. They always had to use two big shows in the States before Christmas.

One album I can recommend:
RoonShareImage-637477769943181720

Sometimes I wonder why this is classified as metal. Probably it does not fit into something else. Then it is called neo-progressive metal.

4 Likes

Thanks Peter I will give that a go, I do like the Verdi analogy as well :wink:

Mike

While weā€™re talking Swedish metal, I really love these guys. Great Viking metal in the vein of Amon Amarth etc.

2 Likes

Nice to see Grand Magus, really like Wolf God album! They have their own recognizable sound with some blues and doom elements.

1 Like

Peter I listened to Hollenthon and not bad, but at the extreme end of my ability to listen loudly with headphones and work at the same time.
A colleague then recommended V. Halmstad by Shining and I have to say as much as I liked some of the quieter parts was unable to finish it in one sitting.

Moved on to some more Rhapsody now with Symphony of Enchanted Lands which intrigues me as it reminds me of when I used to play settlers as a Teanager :wink: (Or maybe the fact that I have been re-watching the Witcher with the family has more to do with it)

Mike

1 Like

Hi Mike, look, metal is such a wide area. There are a lot of albums which you like, many you donā€™t. So listen to the ones you like, forget the others.

Anyway, another band you might like: Krypteria, from Germany. They did not produce many records, The one which you probably like is this one:

RoonShareImage-637478073873143700

Thatā€™s the good thing about streaming. Listen to the tracks you like, skip the oneā€™s you donā€™t.

I hope you have the same problem as I do have. There are so many records on the list I want to listen. The list getā€™s bigger and bigger. Then there are some movies I want to watch, and then there is the hobby which pays the bills ā€¦

Peter

2 Likes

Sean great shout as halfway through this album and I already feel like I know it well.

Mike

Peter spot on, I have listened to more new music in the last month than I can think of (about 50% metal of varying types).
Streaming makes all the difference like you say, though I will have to log into Tidal and prune back the 30+ albums I have added to my favourites and add a few more to listen too.
I have added In Medias Res to listen to tomorrow thanks (ok already listening and 2 tracks in and enjoying it)

Yes we share some of the same issues with collections.
Some of the people I work with have childrenā€™s ears and while I work with one absolute Metal head, the two other ears would (do) bleed from their ears when we stick Metal on :frowning:

Mike

Thereā€™s interesting stuff in the south as well.

I love the merging of styles.

3 Likes

Their new album ā€žHermitageā€œ appears this month on the 26th.

Good to hear! It grows on you and is one of those albums you can play from wo to go. Thankyou Lowrider!

1 Like