Microsoft Surface Go as new Roon remote tablet

I think that’s a no haha.

Is this on a surface go?

I am sorry to belabor the obvious, but I did state that it is a Surface Go and provide two screenshots directly from the Surface Go.

AJ

2 Likes

Fair point.

How does it perform with that much artwork on screen with scrolling? Is it a smooth experience?

Of course, it performs well. That was never in question. This is not Roon core, just Roon remote. Surface Go is not even breaking a sweat.

Folks, some of you are falling prey to online punditry, that a machine is slow as molasses and unsuitable for anything if it does not offer top of the line processing power. Nothing could be further from the truth. Not everyone and everything is editing 4K video or playing high frame rate games. Understand your use case.

AJ

2 Likes

Quite. I have a Surface 3 and a Lenovo ThinkPad 10 tablet (running Windows 10), both of which are Atom-based and slower than the new Surface Go. They are both fine Roon Remote tablets, and I’m still happily using my Surface 3 in meetings to take notes using the Surface pen…

The Surface Go looks very tempting as Roon Controller and tablet for web-browsing, email etc.

@WiWavelength - which model do you have, the 4GB or 8GB model? Don’t want to go pricing up the 4GB model to find the lack of RAM hampers the Roon performance :thinking:

Haha it’s so great to see a collection so similar to mine. I’m picking one up this week because my industry is switching over to the Surface Go for test administration. Guess this will be a nice side benefit, and I can expense it!

I’ve been really trying hard to resist switching my Surface Go out of S Mode. This is my daily note taking device for work, and stability and responsiveness are my top priorities. I’m worried that switching out of S Mode will compromise this.

At the same time, I really wish I could use this as a Roon remote. My iPad is old and broken and my phone is too small.

Ugh! What to do?! :grinning:

Personally, I would have no hesitation in switching a Surface Go out of S mode. You don’t have to load it up with a whole array of full Windows desktop applications of dubious quality that will compromise the stability of Windows. Roon is not going to compromise the stability of Windows.

Not sure I trust my own willpower not to load it up with a bunch of desktop apps. And, I may be wrong about this but I also thought battery life is reduced a bit and virus risk is increased. Still, Roon might make me go for it. :grinning:

It should be the case that a Microsoft Store app will have a reduced chance of harbouring a virus as compared with downloading and installing a traditional Windows app from random.dubious.site.com. Battery life will also be affected by what the application is doing, so a traditional desktop app that is hitting the CPU hard is likely to shorten the running time in comparison with a lightweight app. But then, you probably shouldn’t be thinking about using a Surface Go for heavyweight applications anyway.

To my mind, the Surface Go with Windows S is perfect for folks who just want to do email, browse the web, and use the OneNote app. But as you note, the moment you need to use a traditional Windows application, or need to install a device driver, then you’ll have to break out of the walled garden. Some more thoughts here.

Myself, I use a Surface 3 and a Lenovo ThinkPad 10 tablet, both of which run full Windows 10 for Roon, and I’ve never had an issue. But then again I don’t have them burdened with unnecessary software applications or apps.

1 Like

I use a Sony Vaio 11.5 in laptop/tablet , it’s a tablet with removable keyboard

It’s a great experience, funnily enough nearly always in landscape, portrait looks too thin and odd

If it’s a 16:9 aspect ratio, then I agree completely. The ThinkPad 10 has an aspect ratio of 16:10, which is marginally better, but the 3:2 ratio of the Surface models gives the best experience for me.

Yes it is 16:9 , whats an iPad Pro , do you know , I was thinking of a Birthday Pressy …

4:3, I think, but I’m not a user of Apple products…

2 posts were split to a new topic: Microsoft Surface Book 15 inch as a Roon remote