Microsoft Surface Go as new Roon remote tablet

As an alternative to an iPad, if you are looking for a modest size Roon remote tablet that also runs a full desktop OS, the new Surface Go just may scratch that itch.

AJ

Looks nice. I believe though that it comes with Windows 10 S which means that you can only install from the Windows store.

Is there a Roon Remote for Windows in their store?

–MD

1 Like

I agree, this looks like a nice solution, just curious if there is a Roon app in their store. It appears the Go comes with a full version of Windows 10 for $50 more.

That should definitely work.

–MD

No, the upgrade/switch to full Windows 10 Home reportedly is no charge.

AJ

Sweet - :sunglasses:

I stand corrected, a full version of Windows 10 is available at no charge:

“Like other devices that come with S mode, such as the Surface Laptop, owners will be able to switch to the full version of Windows 10 for free if they want.” - The Verge

1 Like

You can upgrade to full win10 in any time at no charge.

1 Like

In my opinion great end-point. With full version of win10 and Roon Bridge in many zones, alternative for iPad, better cos full USB Audio inc. (on iPad/iOS you have 24/96 only). So, you can stream very high res material (e.g. DSD, DXD) bit with no compromises with control and screen in localization with that thing. Nice! 399 (for Roon nothing more, I think) and you Go :wink:

The Lightning/USB connection to an iPad is not limited to 24/96.

Are you sure signal is bitperfect?

All indications say yes.

I use an Ipad Pro with a RME Baby Face Soundcard in Class client mode.
I play with 24/192 in bit perfect mode.

Surface Go set to 100 percent scaling, Roon set to show more covers:

AJ

1 Like

@WiWavelength How has it been working for you as roon remote?
I noticed a number of Surface Go reviews were unanimous in their opinion about poor performance with heavy apps like Chrome, and unusable with photoshop.
Have you tried streaming wirelessly to usb dac connected to the Go?

Doesn’t surprise me. It’s rather like saying a Ford Fiesta doesn’t have the performance of a Formula 1 racing car. And if a Ford Fiesta satisfies your transport needs, why worry? I’m still using an old Lenovo ThinkPad 10 (slower than a Surface Go) as a Roon Remote and it’s perfect for the job.

1 Like

Though I feel that the 125 percent scaling setting is the sweet spot, the Surface Go’s 1200 x 1800 pixels at 100 percent scaling in portrait mode can show a whole lot of album covers:

AJ

Has anyone got hold of the Surface Go yet and managed to try controlling Roon with it? I would like to know how it’s very modest cpu fares.

Hi @Paul_Whittaker, I’ve moved your question into this Surface Go topic.

I’m curious too. Anyone?