Migration from NUC to NAS successful with one network issue

Moved from a NUC10 to a Synology 720+ (beefed up with memory and cache SSD) without major problems. Performs well with four endpoints of which two are running room correction.

All good, but one issue gets me to my limits and beyond:

I want a second,separate location for the Roon backup for added data .security. Primary setup is simple with a backup location in the Roon folder on the NAS which is backed up daily as a whole.

Now with the Roon server running on the the NAS (Linux based I believe) I cannot connect to a windows network drive that is attached to my fritzbox.

I made sure that in the fritzbox all permissions, passwords etc are correct and I have no issues connecting to that drive from any of my 4 windows machines on the network.

Now here I try to set up a new network share for the backup of the roon database using the interface Roon provides.
I tried using the windows syntax or the linux smb syntax to connect, but nothing. I always get at first the ‘can’t find network path’ error and then some when I add the network credentials.

This was never an issue when I ran the Roon server on my NUC.

Any help is greatly appreciated

This is supposed to not work when running the RoonServer package on DSM7:

Maybe these instructions be of help to you:

1 Like

Thank for all the links. Now off to reading and hopefully find a way around it.

@KMM, from DSM and onwards packages cannot not connect to network devices. But there is a workaround.

In File Station on your NAS create a directory specific for your network bachups.Then (still in File Station) connect this directory to the network device where the backup has to be written (right click on the created directory and choose ‘add a network connection’ or something alike). Then in Roon for backups you can choose the created directory on your NAS. Backups will then be written to your network device.

@Alfred_van_Hoorn @BlackJack

Success. Added a new shared folder on the 720+ volume and within that I created a sub-folder which I mounted on a shared USB storage in one of my NUCs. The created shared folder showed up in the backup location option for RoonServer. Pretty cool and thanks a lot.

Now I need to figure how I can do this using a SSD attached to my fritz NAS which would be the optimum solution.

Sadly I cannot help you with that; I don’t have a Fritz.

Success here as well. Configured a HDD as NAS drive on Fritzbox and created a network drive.
Ensured that the correct permission were present for the network drive.

Then created a new shared folder on the 720+ under control panel und created two subfolders on it using file manager. Then mounted both folders on the fritzbox with the correct permissions and passwords for the fritzbox.
One subfolder contains the Roon database backup and the other one the entire DSM backup.
Backup of RoonServer finds it and so does Hyperbackup. Looks like I am all set and now I have the redundancy I wanted along with a streamlined setup. Thanks again for the valuable input form both of you.

Have to correct myself as to the DSM backup on a remote network drive. Does not work and creates a copy on the originating volume if you don’t check your work. Only way out is to add another Synology NAS and run hyper vault on it. With that one, you can easily connect and have a second backup of the DSM volume. Now the 720+ and an attached USB backup drive reside in a home office room and the NAS DS214 with backup duties in the top floor hidden behind a closet. One backup per week on this one and daily backups on the USB HD.
Now I got belt and suspenders to keep my pants in the right place…