Mobile app skipping tracks

I have 2 computers on 2 different networks experiencing the same problem. I only have one computer available at a time. So I can’t test it add you describe.

When I listen at home I’m connected via WiFi to my router… At work I’m hard wired to the network. The issue persists no matter the network speed or configuration.

Hello @m_p,

Do you by any chance have a VPN or firewall active on your iOS active at the time this issue occurs? Since this occurs between two separate cores and two separate networks, the only thing that remains constant is the iOS setup for your devices and this seems like a firewall blocking access to TIDAL or the Roon Core. Please let me know if this is the case.

Thanks,
Noris

No VPN on my iOS devices.

@m_p,

Thanks for confirming that for me, this is indeed very strange behavior that you are experiencing. Can you please reproduce the issue once more (or a few times) and let me know the exact time(s) that this issue occurs and on which device?

As I mentioned I have enabled diagnostics mode on your account and hopefully we will be able to discover more information as to why this behavior can happen. I will then send that diagnostic info to the QA team who can hopefully provide more insight as to what’s going on here.

Thanks,
Noris

ok - i’ll note the time when I have the issue again.

EDIT: 7/27/2018 @ 11:47am I encountered the problem. Listening on my work network from my iPhone.

Hello @m_p,

Thanks for letting me know about the most recent time of the issue. It seems that diagnostics from your work machine has been unable to reach our servers, possibly because of the active firewall at your work location. If you notice this issue on your home machine, please let me know the time it occurs at and we can take a look.

You should also know we don’t get notifications when a user edits their post so if there is a message that requires our attention, please submit it as a new post instead of editing the previous one.

Thanks,
Noris

Sorry about the post edits and notifications. Just experienced the problem on my home network 7/30/2018 @ 4:52:am

Hello @m_p,

Thank you for letting me know about the most recent timestamp. I can confirm that we have received the diagnostic information from your home machine and I have started a case for you with our QA team.

I will be sure to let you know once QA has completed their analysis of the diagnostic info and let you know what they find. I appreciate your patience here while that occurs on our end and will update you once the report is complete.

Thanks,
Noris

Thanks! Can’t wait to see what they find.

Hello @m_p,

I have just received the report back from the QA team, they have analyzed the diagnostic info and have attempted to reproduce the issue you are facing but have been unable to reproduce or discover anything conclusive from the logs. They have noticed some network instability in the logs but cannot attribute it to anything specifically.

I know you mention that this issue has happened over 3 separate networks but would you be able to provide an overview of how your home network is set up? We would like to focus our efforts on solving this issue for one of the networks and one of the Cores for the time being and then troubleshoot the other one, home network is probably the easiest one to troubleshoot since you have access to the entire Router/Firewall setup. Please provide the following information:

• Please let me know the model/manufacturer for your home Router
  • If you connect your home Core directly to your home Router, does the stability for the iOS device improve?
  • Are you using any range extenders, switches or powerline adapters in your home setup?
  • Is there any other important aspect of your home network that I am missing here?

As for narrowing down if there is a configuration issue on your iOS devices:

• Can you please check to see if your iOS devices have enough free space to run Roon properly? If you are running low on space maybe the iOS devices are having trouble buffering the audio.

• If you have a friend over to your house, can you please try using his/her iPhone as a Roon Remote to see if you experience the same issue? This will help narrow down if the Core is the issue or if there are some settings on the iPhone preventing proper communication.

More information regarding logs:

• You have mentioned that you were playing Regular TIDAL content and not MQA content, however the diagnostics only show that you are playing MQA content when this issue occurs. Can you please confirm if the issue exists on regular content as well as MQA content? You can see what kind of content is playing by opening the Signal Path while there is music playing.

• Does this issue exist when playing back local content of higher bit-rates? I am not sure if you have 192kHz FLAC files in your library but only playing high quality local tracks and seeing if you run into the same issue will give us another useful data point.

When you have a chance please let me know your results for the questions above and we can continue from there.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi…sorry for the late reply. I’m in the process of setting up a dedicated server to run Roon. I have a desktop (Windows-based i3, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD) that will run nothing but Roon.

I was going to set up the PC as a RoonServer. Is this the best way to set up a dedicated PC? It’s only going to run Roon so I can reconfigure it and set up for whatever is best for Roon.

Hey @m_p,

Running RoonServer on a dedicated PC is definitely a good option if you’re looking for a dedicated Roon setup. I recommend checking out this article about switching to Roon Server for more information.

If you have any questions about this just let me know!

-Dylan

Thanks! The migration looks straightforward. I have a very small (<1000) but growing collection of local files. I don’t have a NAS…where is the best place to store the files? OK to store them on the internal SSD of the server? Or is this a bad idea? If I need to store them externally then it would have to be some type of USB drive.

And the computer I’ve been running Roon on has been acting strange - so I thought I’d try the dedicated server option first and see if I still have the issues.

Hey @m_p,

You can store them on the internal SSD, but I would be mindful of storage space here. If you only have 256GB available, and your collection is growing, you may run out of space there and need to migrate them elsewhere. However it is totally up to you how you store these. Internally on the drive or via a USB drive will both work.

Thanks,
Dylan

thanks for your help! I’ll get it set up and use it for several days and report back. Thanks again!!

1 Like

I got the server setup! It was super easy :smile:

I listened for a few hours this morning on my iPad, mostly with no problems. I did have one instance of “Tidal loading slowly…” but the app also disabled my iPad built-in audio zone and couldn’t re-enable it. I had to kill the app and restart it. I just chalk this up to apps/devices not playing nicely together. However, after that…I completely wiped out my iPad and reinstalled Roon Remote. So I have a fresh PC running RoonServer & a fresh iPad running Roon Remote. I’ll report back on how it works over the next week or so.

I am having issues with the iOS app dropping the audio zone from my iPad. Happens randomly…music stops playing, the audio zone disappears from the app and I have to restart the app to get it working again.

Roon doesn’t skip tracks like it does with the “tidal loading slowly” issue, so it seems like a different issue.

Hey @m_p,

So we can better assist you with this, may I ask that you please describe your current networking setup. Please let us know what networking hardware is in use (exact models for routers, switches, etc.) and describe how each of your devices are connected. Knowing this should definitely help us better understand exactly what’s happening here.

May I also ask that you please elaborate on the issue a little bit as well? Just to confirm we’re on the same page here, you’re playing to the iOS device as an endpoint and occasionally it will stop playing and no longer show as an audio zone? When it’s no longer showing as an audio zone is it still able to connect as a remote?

Thanks!
Dylan

7 posts were split to a new topic: Roon crashing during backup