More Beta Testers needed?

Let me just say I love using Roon and can’t imagine a world without it​:+1::sunglasses:

My question: Does Roon need a bigger sample size of beta testers before releasing a software update?

Seems like a lot of users had a bad experience with the update

Aren’t we all already?

3 Likes

Roon are looking into it to see what they can do better next time no doubt more beta testers is on the list but according to this they already had 100s. How many do you think they need to capture every possible computer configuration out there from 250000 users?

Plus who is volunteering for even more problems than those experienced in the release version? You can’t be a beat tester and complain when you have problems and no music for periods of time. Unless that is you can rollback all your Roon devices or have a second core and separate remote devices of exactly the same configuration I( you keep a different configuration out of the beta testing and unless someone else has that exact configuration then all your beta testing may be wasted.

Agreed Roon needs to do better but beyond the rather obvious suggestion of more beta testers do you have any other things they could do?

1 Like

Restrict the supported platforms to something manageable (exclude win7 etc), perform more structured test & release and then move slower with app development to make improvements achievable rather than marketable.

Well it’s a suggestion but not very viable, how many 10s of thousands do think that would impact vs the few hundred impacted by this initial release here?

Why isn’t it viable, do Microsoft still support win7 or XP etc.

Testing and writing code for multiple platforms (OS) is a nightmare, especially when you don’t know if they are running non updated dependencies etc.

Does anyone know how to get out of the beta program? I never signed up for it. Now my Win10 laptop can’t connect to my ROCK running 1.8 886. Fortunately I just got a new iPad so I could put TestFlight and Room Remote 886 on there. But I’m not an IT guy and I don’t really want to be in a beta program.
I sent an email into Roon but didn’t get a reply.

Beta build B886 was released inadvertently. Roon has taken measures to revert the situation – rebooting your core should prompt the install of the current stable version. More info here:

Note that B898 was released today.:

Thanks for replies. All I meant was when my ROCK went to Beta 886 last week, then I couldn’t use my primary control device, my Win10 laptop.
I launched Roon again just now, thanks for your comments, and what I have is:
Win 10 is at 1.8 898 stable
iPad is at 1.8 864 beta
ROCK is at 1.8 886 beta “checking for update”
Looks like there is a new post saying to reboot my NUC ROCK.

Once your ROCK is back on stable, get the iPad out of TestFlight, reinstall the regular App Store version and you’ll be all set.

1 Like

It may be that the new build hasn’t made your local Apple Store yet . Mine has but Android hasn’t yet