Most inexpensive ALL-IN-ONE roon amplfier

Are they Roon end-points? Dont see it on their website.

Not the OP, but Google spyware devices are not allowed in my home.

3 Likes

The Nest Home Mini has a hardware switch to disable the microphones, if youā€™re feeling nervous about Google spying on you. They still play music just fine without the microphones, though you canā€™t use the voice commands to say ā€œPauseā€, ā€œResumeā€, ā€œNextā€, and/or ā€œPreviousā€, or adjust the volume with your voice, as you can if the microphones are enabled.

Have a look at the Arcam Solo Uno - a tiny all in one that does Roon and outputs 25w a channel. I talked to the Arcam guys at the Cornwall Show last weekend but couldnā€™t persuade them to let me pinch theirs :laughing:.

It was a static display so I donā€™t know what it sounds like. I guessed Ā£1500-2000 given its build quality, design and features. Its Ā£599. If it sounds half decent it will fly off the shelves. Hoping to get one soon-ish for review (not sure if itā€™s actually available just yet). It will be on display this coming weekend at the Ascot Show I believe (for those in the UK)

Edit - not sure if itā€™s RAAT or uses Airplay for Roon. If the latter I donā€™t think it changes anything

Phil

2 Likes

Another +1 for the HiFiBerry AMP2. Works best with the 18V power supply. Hereā€™s an idea list that I put together for this project: http://a.co/ayGYwKl. Itā€™s about $175, but that includes speaker cables. I donā€™t know why the RPi3 B+ is $50 nowā€¦was selling for ~$37 for a long time. Perhaps they are trying to push the RPi4? Not sure, but the RPi3 B+ is better for this application. The RPi4 will be too hot!

Update: I see that @itzlbritzl wants to avoid DIY stuff, so what I proposed, while inexpensive, may not meet his requirements for simple and stylish. Itā€™s a good question, but I canā€™t think of anything commercially available that I would consider ā€œinexpensiveā€ (under, say, $300).

Some Chi-Fi Class D amp with a Chromecast Audio. Get the CCAā€™s while you still canā€¦

That looks really nice!

Naim Uniti Atom. Ticks all the boxes.
If you wanna spend more get the Star or Nova. But theyā€™re a bigger footprint.

1 Like

The title says ā€œmost INexpensiveā€ Ā£600 to Ā£2000 units really canā€™t be classed as suchā€¦

1 Like

Thereā€™s no mention of the Arcam Solo Uno being Roon Ready (and a search for ā€œRoonā€ on the Arcam site returns zero results), so I think we can be fairly certain that it doesnā€™t support RAAT. Pity, it looks good, but a missed opportunity by Arcam. Iā€™ll stick to my RPi + IQaudIO rig. Their cases are also appealing to me in a Blakeā€™s 7 sort of way.

Edit: I thought I might contact Arcam to point out the missed opportunity, but they donā€™t seem to have an email address for general enquiries (only press & PR), so snail mail it shall beā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m glad you said this. I was thinking the same thing while reading responses in this thread. :smiley:

1 Like

I use a blue sound powernode2 as a one box complete Roon endpoint solution with separate speakers in 1 room of a system. It sounds very good, even compared to my main system endpoint, and it is definitely Roon ready.

The Arcam Solo Uno is a Chromecast device, thus supports Roon, but limited to 24/96. If you check the Roon Knowledge Base it includes info on compatibility of Chromecast devices.

Iā€™d rephrase this slightly: Roon supports Chromecast devices, thus it will support the Arcam Solo Uno. Itā€™s not Roon Ready though, because the device doesnā€™t understand RAAT, which is a prerequisite for this. And some of us consider RAAT to be a superior technology, but thatā€™s just our opinion, of course.

3 Likes

Right. Roon Ready is generally preferred.

1 Like

I use an Apple airport express 2, it is a Roon endpoint and easy to configure. Shure, you need a f.e. Small class d amp, but there are good little amps out there. It is discontinued, but you find the Apple airport express 2nd version easily online and used for 50 euro. And it does AirPlay 2.

1 Like

Geoff

Iā€™ll contact the chap I spoke to at Cornwall

Phil

1 Like

Yes but not all ChromeCast devices report their capabilities properly. My Naim Atom can support 96/24 via ChromeCast but Roon only sees.it capable of 48/24.

Geoff

Iā€™ve had a responseā€¦ā€œcurrently, itā€™s via Airplay but expect ARCAM to implement RAAT at a future dateā€

Personally I donā€™t see it using Airplay as an issue in practise at this price level - sure it restricts hi-res formats so no mega-upsampling etc. If it gets the basic 16/44 sound right then Iā€™d be happy. Hopefully Iā€™ll be able to see for myself soon.

Oh and I sent a link to this thread to their PR chap, so your comment will get through :slight_smile:

Phil

1 Like

Thanks very much Phil. Appreciated.