Motu UltraLite-mk5

I’m not sure if they need to ‘bounce back’ exactly. Most customers seem to be very happy… once they’ve finally received their DAC. (I certainly am.)

But yes, Okto definitely needs to get its production sorted out before the likes of Topping gets in on the multi-channel act. I think measurements-wise, the latest Topping already exceeds the dac8 Stereo, and at a much lower cost.

Mani.

1 Like

The fact that the wait is now over 6 months for existing orders isn’t a great sign.

Bounce back means being able to actually deliver on orders in a timely fashion… doesn’t apply to those who already have their order (obviously).

I imagine they stopped taking new orders to bounce back, in this regard… i.e. catchup.

And we’re not exactly sure if they can actually catchup… we don’t even know if they will ever take new orders ever again… it’s all unknown.

What do you do if your current unit dies tomorrow?

They are not replying to emails from existing customers with performance issues. Ask Burkhardt_Petermann on this forum.

If this isn’t the definition of a company that needs to bounce back, I don’t know what is :grinning:

Anyway I hope they do.

1 Like

I do appreciate the screen shots as that will assist me in setting it up for my NUCi7 > Roon Convolver 8 channel output using Roon Volume as well. Really nice to know it works well, so thank you again!

If/when Topping does go into the MCH dac, it’s pretty much game over for everyone else IMO.

OK, semantics.

But yes, it’s really bad form not replying to current or potential customers. Whenever I’ve sent an email to Okto, I’ve received a reply, albeit a few days/weeks later. But I haven’t had the need to send one for a while now.

I think we’re all agreed that it’d be great for Okto to be a successful business going forward.

Mani

1 Like

You’re probably right Jason.

The only thing that would stop me getting a Topping, were I in the market for a multi-channel DAC if/when they release one, would be if they opt for an SMPS as an internal power supply. I don’t care what the measurements show, or how far SMPSs have come since the early days, I don’t want any on the same ring as my main system. (I use the MOTU with an external linear PSU, and the Okto has one built in.)

Mani.

Interesting that you’re that against an SMPS…clearly I’m not since my speakers are powered by them. :rofl: Out of curiosity which LPS are you using with the Motu? 1A max is pretty simple with so many options. Heck, I think I even have an LPS I built that meets that spec.

I agree about Okto, I was ready to buy but 1 month already and no response. I figured out the hard way with a preamp a long time ago that I can support companies that do not know business 101. However, if they get a pile of chips next year and can really fill their orders and do the right thing perhaps there is light at the end of the tunnel if they’re not burnt out by then. We shall see! I certainly wish them the best and their current customers like yourself the support if needed.

It’s probably more psychological than anything now. Certainly, (quite) a few years ago, I could hear the detrimental effect having any SMPS on the ring had on the sound. The worst culprit was a PurePower regenerator, even when not powering any equipment itself. Unplugging the PP, the sound was natural and nice; plugging it in, the sound became ‘metallic/glassy’. Some might have thought ‘clearer’ even, but it was false detail. A terrible piece of kit that I dumped once the batteries ran out and I couldn’t find any replacements (I had resorted to using it as an UPS for my work PC). Good riddance.

Going the multi-channel route, I’ve just invested in a total of 14 mono power amps - 8 for my main system, and 6 for my office system. I went with Neurochrome 286 modules (loved your interview with Tom BTW) with linear PSUs. Had I thought about things more, I should probably have given SMPSs another chance before making up my mind. It’s all done now though, so there’s no going back.

Mani.

1 Like

I’m using a Paul Hynes SR3 with the MOTU. (I had a few hanging around that I wasn’t using.) It works fine, and like I said, the sound really, really is good. (No idea if the PH has anything to do with this though.)

Mani.

1 Like

Well I purchased my Motu Mk5 lite today, and 6x Balanced TRS to XLR cables.
Looking forward to receiving it. :wink:

I’m partnering my setup with 3x NAD c298 Purifi amplifiers. Nice amplifiers by the way. Smooth, powerful, detailed, and they provide variable amplifier gain adjustment which is super helpful for active setups. Variable Gain mode: 8.5 dB – 28.5 dB.

Where did you even find one in stock at?!?!

Thanks for the kind comments about the podcast, much appreciated.

Ah OK, that makes sense now.

I’m struggling to get Roon to push/output USB signal to all Motu outputs?
Or at least see signal on the mix faders.
I can only get channel 1 and 2 on the faders?
Monitoring with headphones while working out how to get this working.

I have setup a test procedural EQ for lows, mids, highs.

Procedural is working as the PEQ changes ch1-2.

I’m sampling all signals to 192k.

Setup channel mapping to 7.1, and channel mapping.
Any ideas?

Motu I have
mix 1-2 - PC USB 1-2
mix 3-4 - PC USB 3-4
etc etc

Ok, I have managed to work it out using the Mix function…
Monitoring the Motu outputs, the crossovers are in place.

Hi Mani, can I please ask what are the specs of your PC?

So far I have tried the Motu on two older PC’s (5 year old i7 laptop, series 4NUC), and a modern i7 HP Elite. (All with Direct USB connections to the DAC, All PC’s run Win10)

Resampling Roon outputs @ 96 or 192k I have processing headroom spare (Roon).
But I am getting small clicks and pops. This is especially noticeable when loading other applications, moving the mouse etc. Seems the PC is struggling.

I have tried the Motu connected to more powerful PC/Roon server i9 (Win10) modern CPU, and I don’t seem to have this issue. As such I’m curious what PC you are using.

I have used procedural PEQ to create a 3way, and mix to route USB channels.

All my PC’s exceed Motu requirements. Although no CPU series is provided.
Windows System Requirements
Intel Core i3 PC (or AMD equivalent)
4 GB RAM; 8 GB or more recommended
Windows 10
Available USB port
A large hard drive (at least 500 GB for recording)

Seems I am figuring out my own issues. lol.
Good for those that are looking to do similar.

I experimented with different USB ports on my old NUC series 4, i5.
I used the front USB 3 port, and everything is perfect via the monitoring headphones, on all output channels.

Seems weird that different USB ports perform differently.

1 Like

After some testing, I can confirm the Motu mk5 lite functions amazingly well connected to a Ubuntu RPI4 bridge endpoint.

I used: ubuntu-21.04-preinstalled-server-arm64+raspi.img

With my 3 way crossover running, the DAC changes sample rates inline with source content perfectly. No clicks or pops, no need to fix the sample rate. This observation is consistent with either Windows 10/Roon server or Roon Rock feeding the Ubuntu RPI4 endpoint.

• Just a quick update, I installed Roon Rock, on my NUC series 4 i5, and tested a direct USB to MOTU connection. I get sync on the DAC, but no audio comes out (Crossover and USB mix routing was identical to the working Win10 Roon server preset). This points to a Kernel compatibility/Functionality issue in Roon Rock.

Anyway, as previously highlighted using my Ubuntu RPI4 as a Roon endpoint, everthing just works.
Tested with 8 active outputs, routed from the Roon mix function.

2 Likes