Motu UltraLite-mk5

Excellent! Congratulations!

I didn’t check this out before myself as I go via CamillaDSP as I mentioned earlier - but yes, the kernel driver for the UL5 does indeed appears to tell it to change to the right sample rate streaming directly from Roon to the UL5. Awesome! I’ll have a look at changing my approach to the way CamillaDSP handles the sample rate and see if I can leverage this in my setup too

Are you getting the noise on unused channel - 9 and 10 in your case? If so, would you add a comment to the bug report I submitted to see if we can get Roon to sort a fix? If not, I’d like to see if we can work out what might be different between our two setups so the issue can be isolated and resolved. Thanks

1 Like

Yes I have noise, on unmuted channels 9-10… Its seems Roon is feeding this channel noise.

Even if I use Roon’s mix to “show all” channels and route left and right to Motu outputs 9 and 10, noise is still present, and then nothing plays at all.

I was considering installing Ubuntu server on my current Nuc, in lieu of Roon Rock. This would enable me to test direct USB out from the PC (Running ubuntu server/Roon server) direct to the Motu.
I suspect this would provide the auto sampling change functionality I see with my RPI4/ubuntu.

I wonder if this may also help with the channel 9-10 noise observation.

From a quick google, I suspect Roon Rock is running a highly patched older Kernel.

1 Like

That would be considerable work to swap OS but I think you’re right that with the newer kernel that includes the MOTU drivers you’d be able to stream to the UL5 directly, with sample changing, but also with noise! I think we both suspect that its Roon’s inability to address more than 8 channels that is at the heart of the noise problem.

I’m sure that’s right. From Roon’s perspective there’s little benefit in upgrading the kernel since it works as it is with Roon Bridge and the many endpoint devices where manufacturers have already achieved compatibility with the existing Roon Core. Changing the kernel would likely involve significant retesting of very many devices. So whilst upgrading would incorporate newer drivers for greater compatibility for direct device connection, they advise against that route in preference for a separate end point, probably for this very reason.

1 Like

Its pretty straight forward to load Ubuntu Server, and reload a Roon backup.
I’ll probably try it. But maybe once I have my new Gen11 NUC.

Looking forward to see if Roon have more insight with two users providing feedback.

I need a slightly longer USB cable. Has anyone had any issues with a generic Amazon USB A > C or C > C cable?

No experience with the Amazon. But I was looking at the Alogic cables: https://www.alogic.co/catalog/product/view/id/4114/s/alogic-super-ultra-usb-2-0-usb-c-to-usb-a-cable-3a-480mbps-silver-1-5m/category/273/

Hi Stephen, I’m not sure if this is still relevant, but I’m using quite a powerful PC… configured in a very stripped down way… just as a Roon Bridge. Zero issues with clicks/pops or noise on any unused channels. Let me know if you’d like to know more about the PC, and I’d happily oblige.

Mani.

1 Like

Does anyone get a strange bird chirping type noise during playback? I’m direct from NUC i7 (Core) to the ULMK5. I have the .wav file of it but can’t upload here.

Which setting within Roon direct to Core do you guys use? ASIO?

Hi,

I don’t connect directly to my Nuc Rock.
I use a RPI4 Ubuntu endpoint > USB to the MK5.

FYI, I get no audio when I connect directly to my Rock Core.

I get sync on the MK5 but no output.
I suspect this is related to the kernel core is using (Ie not current)

Ubuntu works fine. Which is why I was going to move away from Rock and install Ubuntu and roon server.

I have a suspicion could mimic the performance of the RPI4 Ubuntu, with auto sampling rate changes etc.

You must be using a Win10 PC/Core if you have asio devices?

I would just use the Asio Motu output if this is the case, not wasapi. Using The Motu ASIO driver sound should be perfect.

1 Like

I basically worked out I needed a relatively modern pc.

Running windows 10 on my series 4 nuc with Roon and the Motu was a disaster, for whatever reason. Clicks pops etc.
I had the same experience just using Qobuz player to the Motu or my Rme dac. Very weird.

Running the same nuc (Gen 4 i5) with ROON ROCK is perfect. Go figure.

I have also used a modern HP elite g5 800 win10 with no issues.

Thanks for replying.

Just an FYI, I added a quality linear supply to my Motu, and RPI4 end point today.
IMO, its improved subjective sound quality.
I am powering the DAC with 12v, and Pi with 5v.

1 Like

My new observations and testing with Ubuntu 21.04. As posted elsewhere.

1 Like

I have been looking myself. I have experienced some “vinyl type crackles” when connecting to the USB3.0 port on my Roon server. So I’ll probably try a 3.1 certified cable.
I believe the supplied Motu cable is only USB 2.0.

The Amazon basics and double braided version state 3.1 support.
I suspect both would be perfectly fine.

The Belkin is a good option, but much more expensive:

1 Like

Hi @John_Warden, did you ever posted this line commands? I would be very interested in trying that. Many thanks!

Hi @dathzo, I’ve simply pasted below what I had on my file. I gave it a quick skim over and I think it’s all there, although I may have missed something. Let me know how you get on. And give me a shout if you run into any difficulty. Good luck!

Install Linux and SSH client
Update and upgrade packages
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt install linux-modules-extra-$(uname -r) [required for aloop after updating Linux]

Install RoonBridge
sudo apt-get install lbzip2
curl -O http://download.roonlabs.com/builds/roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv8.sh
chmod +x roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv8.sh
sudo ./roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv8.sh
rm roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv8.sh
sudo apt-get install libasound2

Install CamillaDSP. [See GitHub - HEnquist/camilladsp: A flexible cross-platform IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc. for details and latest version]
wget https://github.com/HEnquist/camilladsp/releases/download/v0.6.3/camilladsp-linux-aarch64.tar.gz
tar -xvf camilladsp-linux-aarch64.tar.gz
rm camilladsp-linux-aarch64.tar.gz
sudo apt install alsa-utils

Configure Camilla DSP
aplay -l [to identify playback/output < DeviceName > (first label after colon)]
arecord -l [to identify record/source < Device Name > (first label after colon)]
cat /proc/asound/< DeviceName >/stream0 [to understand device playback channel number and rate capabilities]
sudo mv camilladsp /usr/local/bin
sudo mkdir /usr/local/etc/camilladsp
cd /usr/local/etc/camilladsp
chmod ugo+rw /usr/local/etc/camilladsp
vi config.yml [Edit as appropriate (i > [edit text] > < Esc > > :wq!)]
cat config.yml [To check editing] ***************
sudo /usr/local/bin/camilladsp -c /usr/local/etc/camilladsp/config.yml [To check config file validity]

Test in debug mode
sudo modprobe snd-aloop
/usr/local/bin/camilladsp -a0.0.0.0 -p5000 -g-30 --logfile /usr/local/etc/camilladsp/log -ldebug /usr/local/etc/camilladsp/config.yml

Set up as a service (See GitHub - HEnquist/camilladsp-config: Help for setting up CamillaDSP, example config files etc)
git clone GitHub - HEnquist/camilladsp: A flexible cross-platform IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc.
git clone GitHub - HEnquist/camilladsp-config: Help for setting up CamillaDSP, example config files etc
cd cdsp-config
sudo cp aloop.conf /etc/modules-load.d/aloop.conf
sudo cp asound.conf /etc/asound.conf
sudo vi camilladsp.service [Edit as appropriate (i > [edit text] > < Esc > > :wq!)]
cat camilladsp.service
sudo cp camilladsp.service /etc/systemd/system/camilladsp.service
sudo systemctl daemon-reload
sudo systemctl start camilladsp
sudo systemctl status camilladsp
sudo systemctl enable camilladsp
sudo reboot
sudo cp 90-camilladsp.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/90-camilladsp.rules [restarts CamillaDSP after soundcard reconnects/powers on]
sudo udevadm control --reload-rules. [May also be needed after updating Linux]
chmod ugo+rw /usr/local/etc/camilladsp

1 Like

this is great John, thank you!
I have ordered the Pi, but delivery times are insane. Will “play” with it when I receive it,
Best wishes,

Was the new cable better please?