Moving database to a new Roon server

Well, since the only Core you now have is on the Mac and no longer in the network (the Salk streamplayer), this is correct, it won’t find a Core out in the network.

so I choose Use this Mac.

then i’m taken to back to the Login screen.

if i log in, i have 0 albums.

At this point you don’t log in - you choose the Restore a Backup using the link at the bottom of the log in screen.

That, I think, is where you are going wrong…

1 Like

I believe he already did that see …

Then once complete he is prompted to login, which is the part that seem a bit odd (but it’s been way too long for me to remember if I had to do this when moving Core to know for certain if that’s an indication of something not being right).

It’s not 100% clear to myself exactly how the op is proceeding but…
You absolutely have to choose a Roon Core first BEFORE restoring a backup.

Just went through this a week ago so it’s pretty fresh in my mind.

If this is what they are doing already then yes something is " bloody wrong".

But that’s the point - he’s logged in, removed the Watched folder and restored - he shouldn’t have done that in the first place. So now he’s back at the log-in screen, where he logs in again, instead of restoring the backup. He’s going round in circles by logging in…

In a clean installation, once you’re at the log in screen, you don’t log in, you restore the Backup - which restores your Roon login credentials from the Backup, so that you’re logged in automatically.

2 Likes

i agree that this method seems to take me in a circle. i thought i was following the instructions for migrating the core to a new device: restoration from a backup should log me in. but it’s not!

i’ll go back and re-read what others have written here, but i thought i’d tried every combination of steps with the same result.

What you could try is to completely uninstall Roon from your Mac (so that the Roon database is removed as well), and then do a fresh install.

That should give you a clean installation with a blank database. Then, when you fire up Roon and get the login screen, click the Restore a backup link at the bottom. Once restored, I think you get a “Relaunch” message, so close and restart Roon. That should automatically log you in with the restored credentials, and then you will need to go to Settings > Storage and edit the Watched folder(s) to define the new filepath to the new location(s).

2 Likes

thanks geoff, but if you compare what you suggest with what i detailed above you’ll see that this is exactly what i’ve tried several times without success.

i’ve never yet seen “relaunch” log me in with my credentials.

i suppose that at this point my question is this: having the roon core up and running, and pointed at the drive containing my music files, is there any way to force the restoration of metadata (artwork and edited titles) without zapping the state (sending me back to “0 albums”)? i’ve run what i believe are all the combinations without success. this is, of course, assuming that the RoonBackup folder is what i think it is. it’s certainly large enough (2.1 gig) and restoration takes a fair bit of time (15 minutes).

What is the size of your library (no of albums and tracks). 15 minutes to restore seems rather long…

10,000 albums. since roon is down at the moment i don’t have a track count, but you can guestimate.

What do you mean by the text that is in bold? How can you remove the Roon folder from the library without doing this in Roon? Sorry, I’m clearly not understanding what it is you are doing.

“complete reinstall” surely means starting everything from scratch, eliminating folders and files which roon creates as part of its operating environment. that means (at least it does to me) deleting the folder called /Library/Roon which roon creates.

Ah, thank you. It wasn’t clear that you had reinstalled Roon after removing the Roon Folder and before starting Roon…

I’ve managed to fail this test three separate times in the past, somehow. I always ended up with everything being reimported and assessed etc. Unfortunately, I now need to try it again.

well, with hundreds of hours invested in editing the artwork, titles, artists, etc. it will be extremely painful to not have a solution to this problem. as much as some may deprecate itunes (and i am one) being able to keep album-related edits (artwork, titles, etc.) WITH THE ALBUMS does keep things like this from happening. i would love a “denormalize” option (database people will understand my use of that term in this context) which squooshes data and metadata together instead of keeping things separate.

No, it is not. Not for 10,000 albums. You likely do not have a complete backup available. A database for a library that size would be >10 GB.

AJ

i wonder. i would say that 90% of the music files in my library contain their own artwork: they originate in itunes, and itunes stores album covers with each track (i know, horribly inefficient). very few of the albums which appear in the display are entirely lacking in artwork. title-edits and other text changes are also fairly infrequent in my collection (but numerous enough to be a headache to manually reproduce). another important piece of metadata which is missing is the merging of albums. so i’m not sure your diagnosis is correct. and why should the 10 or so backups i’ve made over the last several months all be incomplete? roon never reported any problems when the backups were made, and the timestamps on the files suggest that they haven’t altered since they were created. so i’m inclined to believe that the problem lies elsewhere. but thanks for your suggestion.

[added]: i think i underreported the size of the complete Dropbox backups by a factor of 2. the actual size is 4.3gig.

Others can chime in, but historically, Roon databases have been comparatively huge. For 6000 albums (~5500 local, ~500 streaming), my RoonOS SSD has 92 percent available of 114 GB. Do the math, and my database would appear to be ~8 GB.

AJ

suppose i’ve added 200 pieces of cover art and made 500 edits to titles. i’ve changed a handful of defaults, like turning off roon radio and maximizing the number of album covers to display. how does that amount to 8 gig?

is there any way to determine whether the metadata is “incomplete” other than by guessing how large it should be?

You might want to raise this issue in the #support category of the forum so as to get Roon’s Support team involved. Clearly something is wrong, and it would be good to get them involved in diagnosing the issue. They can look at the logs in your system and perhaps see something that we mere mortals cannot.

1 Like