MQA CD file rip to NAS issue?

I am using Roon 1.5 on a Macbook OS 10.13.5. The player is Bluesound Node 2. I recently brought a few MQA CD and use DBpower to rip the MQA CD to a NAS. In Roon, the file format displays the MQA 352.8KHz but when it plays it plays at normal CD 16/44 format. This happens for some of the tracks but not all of the tracks. In some case, the display is 16/44 but when it plays it play at MQA format. I look up some forum and says when I rip the MQA CD it rips both the 16/44 and MQA information into the same track ? If so, is there a setting in Roon to choose to play MQA by default, and if no MQA then default to the next lower level of Hi-Res , like 16/44 ?

Grateful for your advice. Thanks.

Hello @Andrew_Leung,

Thanks for contacting support, I’d be happy to take a look over this issue with you.

Can I please request for you to send us that affected media file and any others that you have noticed the issue with? We will run an analysis on it and see what format is being displayed. MQA should automatically be detected if the file is encoded with it. You may also want to try another application other than DBpower to rip the files in the meantime and see if that triggers any changes.

I will PM you shortly on how to upload media to us.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Andrew_Leung,

Thanks for sending the media over to us, we have been able to reproduce and a ticket has been filed with our developers regarding this issue. The ticket is currently in the backlog but I will be sure to update you once any progress has been made on this issue.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

Great… thanks and look forward to the analysis result.

Regards,

Andrew

I’ve sent a few files over as well. Curious to know if you have had time to dig into this issue further and what you have found. I did try changing the “Encoder” field in the file metadata from “FLAC” to “MQAEncode” since I’ve seen some reports that this helps “hint” other players. It had no effect on Roon.

Hello @David_Snyder,

Thank you for the encoder field update, I will add it as a note to your case. A ticket has been filed with our dev team regarding your issue and @Andrew_Leung’s issue but I can’t comment on a timeline of when it will be fixed. I will be sure to let you know once I have more information to share regarding this issue.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

Hello all,

We’ve just released Roon Build 536 which includes changes that we believe will help improve things here. Please give Roon an update on all of your devices and let us know if you still have any trouble!

You can read the full release notes here:

Thanks,
The Team At Roon Labs