MQA dropouts on Linn Akurate DSM

Hi,

I am a trial user with Roon since one week and I just love the software but I now hear serious dropouts when playing MQA-files through Tidal. Every other album in my library and on Tidal works just fine. Any suggestions what to do? Otherwise I am afraid I must wait for subscriptions to start.

Thanks,

Johannes, Sweden

Hey @Johannes_Larsson — Thank you for the report, it’s greatly appreciated!

To start, may I kindly ask that you please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

May I also ask that you please verify the following:

• Since noticing this behavior, have you tried rebooting your Core machine, the Linn Akurate DSM, and any networking hardware?
  • Have you tried playing MQA files outside of Roon? Do you experience this same behavior?
  • Do you experience this behavior with other audio zones?

Regards,
Dylan

Hi,

Thanks for your kind support, I will try to answer your questions properly:

1. I have Roon 1.5 on Mac High Sierra 10.14.4, iMac Retina, 4 ghz Intel Core i7, 24 GB RAM.

2. My music is stored on my iMac using iTunes (Kazoo server and Mimin server if needed)

3. I have about 720 albums in iTunes

4. I have rebooted all systems and the MQA-albums works just fine on both Kazoo and Lumin apps. I only have one audio zone.

Thanks,

Johannes

Thanks for the update, @Johannes_Larsson!

May I ask that you give me a little more information on your networking setup? What router are you using? Any switches? Is everything using a wired connection, or are you using WiFi? How is your Linn connected to the Core?

If you play these same files to System Output on the Mac, do you experience the dropouts there as well?

-Dylan

Hi again

I heard suddenly dropouts also on 24 bit files in my own library using Kazoo. So - after a complete restart of routers, modem and computer/DS everything now is working perfect again, including Roon using MQA files:)

So - thanks so much for your great support! Now I can stay as a member!

One last question about the thread ”sound quality in Roon 1.5”, how do I change the db in Roon if needed to calibrate with my system?

Thanks

Johannes

Glad to hear you’re all up and running, @Johannes_Larsson!

When it comes to adjusting settings, I recommend checking out our Audio Setup Basics and DSP Engine articles in our Knowledge Base. Headroom Management sounds like it may be the information you’re looking for specifically. We have a ton of great information in our KB about setting up your devices. Exact settings will vary depending on setup, but this should get you started on the right path.

If you have any other questions just let me know. Happy listening!

-Dylan