Multiple problems with Roon - Tidal won't connect and No Audio Devices Found

Roon Core Machine

I am running Roon on a Nucleus with internal storage

Networking Gear & Setup Details

I am on Wifi

Connected Audio Devices

I have Devialet Phantom speakers + headphones running off of a Gustard DAC running off of USB from my computer

Number of Tracks in Library

I don’t know because I can’t access my library (that is part of the problem)

Description of Issue

I keep getting errors saying Roon has been corrupted. I have restored a backup once, and sometimes it goes away if I reboot the Roon Nucleus. The last time I rebooted, it takes me back to the original setup page, however it won’t login into Tidal and it won’t recognize any Audio devices on the network.

Hey @Zack_Tillitski,

First off, welcome to the community! We’re excited to have you here, and apologize that it’s an issue that prompted your first post. If you haven’t yet, please see if you can connect to your Nucleus via the Web UI. Here is more info on how to do this.

If possible, please share a screenshot of what your web UI looks like. This can point us in the right direction for next steps :+1:

If you can’t access your WebUI from the above, try accessing the Web UI via typing the IP address of your Nucleus into a browser. If your Nucleus is online, its IP will show in your router software. That’s what you enter into your browser to get to the web interface.

You can also normally try http://nucleus.local/ as well from a mac, or just http://nucleus/ from a windows machine.

Let me know if any of the above works :pray:

Attached is a screenshot of the WebUI as well as the two error messages I am receiving. I am still having the same problems.

Hey @Zack_Tillitski,

Thanks for that! Before doing anything else, I would hardwire your core directly to your router for the best network stability. Running your Nucleus over Wifi could lead to additional hiccups and issues.

After enabling diagnostics on your account, we were able to find corruption in your nucleus database. To put it simply, database corruption means that the records Roon is reading from your database are different from what was originally written.

This isn’t common and can happen for a number of reasons, like failing hard drives or an unstable power source (frequent outages, hard power cuts, etc).

In some cases, corrupt database records can go completely undetected. And it’s only when we release an update that requires Roon to re-scan every record that the corruption shows itself.

These updates don’t happen frequently, which increases the risk of data loss. For example, if you only have a few weeks of backups, the chances that you have a usable backup drop significantly if the “latent” corruption isn’t detected for many months.

Starting with Build 880, Roon detects database corruption “on the fly”. So if corruption is detected during a backup or during normal use of Roon, you’ll be immediately prompted to restore from a backup.

If you restore from a backup and still see “There was an issue loading your database”, try restoring from your oldest backup.

If you’re not having any luck with your oldest backup, then the only alternative is to start with a fresh database.

We know that many of us have a carefully curated database: our settings, album covers, metadata, tags, playlists and favorites are exactly as we want them to be. Having to start fresh sounds like a nightmare and we do hope it won’t come to it. But, if it does, please know this is so it will never happen again.

Please follow the steps below to create a fresh databse:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Nucleus’ Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database

Let me know if your issue persists after the above :+1:

I followed the instructions and it addressed the problem until the latest release. When I installed it, my system crashed again and now I am having the same issues of not being able to log in to Tidal and Roon can’t find my music devices on the network. I guess I could go through the same process again, however it seems like there is some deeper issue that needs to be resolved.

Everything looks OK on my Roon diagnostic, but it fails to recognize my Tidal account or my network devices after the last version update.

I’ve reset my Nucleus several times, but I keep getting the same problem.

You seem to have some local files as well (8% of your internal storage is showing as being used), yet these are also not showing up on your homepage.

If I were to guess, I suspect that the update process seems to have reset the database, so you are starting with a clean slate and factory defaults.

Do you have a recent Backup available? If so, then you can try going to Settings > General and logging out of your Nucleus.

Then, when you next Connect to the Nucleus, instead of entering your credentials on the Login screen, click the “Restore a backup” link at the bottom of that screen. Restoring the backup should put everything back to how it was when the backup was made.

1 Like

I would hold off on that until support chimes in, or alternatively, first make a copy of your current Roon database (not via Roon but manually). This is not supposed to happen and it might help in diagnosing what went wrong, so it can be prevented in the future if this turns out to be a software issue.

@Nepherte - Good call. @Zack_Tillitski - can you hold (but leave your Nucleus running)?

Paging @support for you so that hopefully they can pull the logs quickly.

1 Like

Yes, I can hold. Thanks for the help. It takes forever to get support to reply, but fingers crossed.

Hey @Zack_Tillitski,

Thanks for the follow-up, and my apologies for the delay. We’re taking a deeper look into your Nucleus logs after enabling diagnostics on your account.

Nothing major is popping out yet, but we’re going to investigate a bit further before giving you the green light on loading a recent backup.

I will follow up with you after our team has thoroughly sifted through logs :+1:

Hey @Zack_Tillitski,

After further investigation of your Nucleus, we’ve found that it is suffering from a corrupt database due to a failing hard drive on the device.

I will follow up via PM with next steps, and to gather information for an RMA.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.