Multiple Streaming / Family Accounts and Roon Profiles (Tidal, Qobuz, ...)

I was also pretty surprised by this. I’ve just upgraded to a family account for Tidal to find out that the Roon profiles only support one Tidal account.

Lets go roon

Please make sure guys to vote for this feature on top of this topic.
Happy Easter!

+1

I assume many families have one audio enthusiast and many listeners that dont’ share quite as much in-the-weeds curiosity.

It’s much simpler to have my wife think about her own account in tidal with her own profile in roon and not worry about ever being kicked off because one of us is using tidal in the car…as well as just the simple curation aspect of not wanting to clutter each other’s recommendations.

+1 please implement a solution for this.

Plus 1s don’t do anything. Did you go up top and vote?

1 Like

Yes, it was the first thing I did :slight_smile: thanks for reminding…

1 Like

Support for iPad keyboard finally arrived with much less votes : we can still continue to dream with the family accounts :grinning:

absolutely a must
come on guys

Hi @Marco_Santos ,
Welcome to the Roon community.

To be sure: did you also vote on top of the topic?

Cheers,
Joost

Added my vote at the top as this is a must have feature. We are even prepared to pay for it! Roon doesn’t want our money???

Someone was really asleep at the switch when they designed profiles. In their defense, I don’t believe streaming thru Tidal/Qobuz was on the horizon in Roon’s early design stage.

That might be part of it, along with how they designed the library and streaming integration. But It also has to be allowed in the Api and deals they have with streaming companies which everyone seems to ignore.

Do you see any 3rd party software allowing family accounts that streams Tidal or Qobuz apart from the one big hardware exception?

If it was easy and readily avialible to do I am sure it would be doable in Audivana, or any app or device that can stream via Tidal or Qobuz. Even their own apps only allow it on different devices or logins. It keeps there own apps relevant still.

Plex have stated they don’t have access to this and or cannot include it. I am sure this is the case for 3rd parties in general unless your the market leader like Sonos.

Hey @Asgeir_Karlsen

Thank you for getting in touch, and welcome to Community! We’re happy to have you but sorry to see that it was a complaint that prompted your first post.

Assuming to know the inner thoughts and motivations of another person, let alone an entire company, is always a risky position. Statistically speaking you have a greater probability of being wrong, as you were here. We do care about your feature requests and have implemented the voting button as a way to gauge interest in a suggested feature, without having to read every single post in every single feature request that comes in.

Please remember that Roon is a small team, and that not hearing from us recently, on a feature request doesn’t indicate a lack of interest, or action, on our part.

The way that you’ve gone about registering your frustration isn’t ideal. Roon staff are people just like you. Accordingly, I’ve moderated your post to remove language that doesn’t make for effective communication. Let’s extend each other some slack and understanding, rather than make assumptions - ok? Thank you

Jamie - I never assumed to know anything. I only explained how it’s perceived by customers/potential customers when an important functionality is lacking (subjective of course, but the general reader of this thread will likely feel it’s important), and there’s no response from Roon in 5 years. You may be a small team, but it’s hard for some of us to see this justifies utterly silence from Roon for such a long period.

I agree, registering frustration like I did is not ideal at all. We could focus on the fact that I presented frustration here - or we could have a look at where the frustration origins…

On the other hand, I should have moderated my language - my apologies.

Just checking back on this to see if any progress has been made, makes me sad the only response was from a moderator after years… This missing feature makes roon unusable in our household so I cancelled a while ago. Would love to use this again when it’s added.

Cheers to hoping I guess, for now I must suffer in Chromecast land.

I have a workaround for tidal/quboz that may help some people! Casting from the Tidal app will resample and top out at 48/16, however Chromecast itself does support 96/24 on newer devices.

The android app USB Audio Player PRO supports MQA streaming and decoding from tidal, recently it got experimental support for casting. It can pass the MQA signaling raw or after first unfold to the DAC over Chromecast! Bonus the parametric EQ also works! I’m not affiliated with them I just enjoy the app.

Drawbacks:

• Not the best UI/UX
  • No device specific EQ’s in casting groups, just one global operator for the stream.
  • Parametric EQ does not work on MQA tracks. Roon extracts the signaling and adds it in after EQ, UAPP does not support EQ on MQA at all.
  • Groups have to be managed in a separate app.
  • “Profiles” are local to a device, a central panel for control isn’t going to work for multiple users. The app only allows one tidal+quboz account on a single device. This works if you each use your own phone for control.
  • Experimental feature could have bugs.

@jamie I only installed Roon today and was setting everything up. Very happy with the great iOS UI and the functionality. I am still full of enthusiasm finding all the features. This is an extraordinary and professional system and you can be proud of it!
Just was setting up my wife’s phone with her Qobuz account but her enthusiasm dropped when she noticed that she can’t use it.
For now it seems I will be the only Roon music maker in the household and I vote to add family accounts, please.

2 Likes

I did not like this post.

Although Roon ARC is available, this topic is still of importance.
Still, separating libraries for individual users is an issue. Even more, making items offline available to single users (from streaming sources like Qobuz) is impossible in Roon ARC.

Breaking it down to Roon ARC is the perfect App to make one’s library mobile for a single user. Preferably with a stable mobile connection, no data limit or a significant ripped disc collection to be made available offline.

Roon ARC / Roon 2.0 does not serve multiple family members with different music tastes, mainly using streaming services with small data volumes.

Maybe you want to do better than this?!?

1 Like

Yea…

It’s sad that after five years of silence the one time Roon actually says something in this post is to reprimand a user who is frustrated of five years of silence.

I was going to buy a Roon lifetime subscription last year, but didn’t when I realized streaming profiles are not separated by user profiles. It’s really annoying that what one person plays goes into your history online and then you get horrible recommendations.

I paid monthly this last year to try and see what kinda of use we’d get out of it with just the one set of online accounts. But honestly with the family always going back to the online services, we barely use Roon so we probably wont keep it.

That said, These guys don’t really move fast. Or even intermediately. Remote access was requested back in 2016 and it was delivered 6 years later. So by my calculations for this we have between 1-6 years to wait. XD