Multiple Streaming / Family Accounts and Roon Profiles (Tidal, Qobuz, ...)

I’ve just taken a Roon trial subscription and the lack of support for family accounts / linking of different streaming accounts (tidal) per Roon profile makes it a deal breaker for us!. When I read that Roon supported multiple ‘profiles’, I assumed that each profile could have its own account (e.g. with Tidal, Qobuz) with its own listening history and recommendations. This feature has been requested for over 5 years - any chance of getting it? I will be back considering a subscription after this has been delivered. Thanks !

3 Likes

I have voted for this. As a Roon lifetimer i am still waiting especially for Tidal Family integration. I would actually prefer this over an additional streaming service since it makes more sense in the “Finance Dept.” since I/we already have both Tidal Family and Qobuz .

2 Likes

added another vote - let’s get this on the roadmap!

Remember to click on the blue Vote button on the very top of this thread:

Click here or scroll all the way up to find it!

2 Likes

It is 2023 already, why is this feature still not added yet?

It wouldn’t be that Tidal is resistant to supporting this feature? But then why would Tidal care if we are already paying for family plan already?

If Tidal is not the issue, then is adding this feature going to make Roon database grow significantly bigger and unmanageable? Is a new code base required that’s why it’s taken years but still being worked in?

2 Likes

+1000… pls Roon

1 Like

I’ve put off and put off my partner using Roon because of this issue but it’s not an option anymore. Please Roon, can you get this sorted? Any ideas of timescales please?

2 Likes

Voted. Luckily my partner doesn’t share my enthusiasm for Roon, but I was pretty surprised after getting my NUC up and running to find that profiles are linked to one tidal account. It really makes the profile feature essentially useless to me.

2 Likes

I’m new to Roon, and I like it … I was about to switch my Tidal single account to a Family plan … luckily I decided to check if it was supported by Roon.
It’s clearly disappointing that streaming family plan are not supported.

Is there a clear statement from Roon about this topic ? like “Never going to happen” or “Will happen in 202x” … ?

Roon have not indicated either way … I interpret that it might happen one day, but don’t hold your breath.

I would really love to have this as my families music taste is completely different than mine.

1 Like

Hi @Michael_Klug,
I agree a lot with that last remark. :smile: Did you also vote at the top of the topic? That would help the people at Roon to see how much this feature is requested by us users.

Cheers, Joost

3 Likes

Hi there! New to Roon and of course I found this topic because of course it is important. What a ridiculous gap in the Roon service. What a huge hassle, I’ll keep looking elsewhere for a solution. The fact that this has been on Roon’s radar for 6 years without comment is all the answer anyone needs.

Has this been updated by Roon? Thinking of setting up Qobuz duo account and my wife will have her own Qobuz profile and library Qobuz. If I set up her own profile in Roon, can she have her Qobuz account linked to her Roon profile and not share mine? I don’t want her Qobuz library merging with mine on Roon. Possible? Thanks.

2 Likes

So badly need this to happen. I Have voted for it too. I really wish the devs make it happen. This gap is extremely critical and needs to be filled to use Roon to its full potential. Not sure why it has not been addressed. Im on Roon trial and this is a make-or-break factor for me to make a purchase decision.

1 Like

As was mentioned above in this thread IIRC, the obstacle seems to be that Qobuz does not support family accounts for third parties like Roon. If this is true, the Roon developers’ hands may be tied

1 Like

I just voted by clicking button as a lifetime subscriber.

From what I understand, Roon was designed with the ability to manage a locally stored tracks as a basic feature, and the integration with the streaming service was an added feature. Therefore, it is expected that there may be technical difficulties. However, with the ability to create multiple profiles now available, so, it is natural to expect different Tidal accounts (family accounts) for each profile.

I hope the developers add this cool feature, but what I’m suggesting (until this feature is implemented !!) is that only one main profile can be linked to a Tidal account, while the other profiles restricted to only playing tracks stored locally without Tidal. At least that way, there will be no unpleasant ping-pong games between users.

If someone want to play other tracks which are not stored locally, then they can just play Tidal app instead of roon or roon arc to prevent from interrupt. But it is also very apparent that this is not what users expect from this super expensive music player (roon) instead of just using their exclusive streaming app.

It really doesn’t work like that profiles are not separate accounts. You can’t have multiple accounts active within another 3rd party application or even active on one piece of hardware at the same time. The Apis do not allow it. Not one 3rd party server based system can currently support family accounts. Family accounts were not designed for this purpose but to run on solo devices like phones or computer user accounts where one is running at that time. Same reason their apps don’t allow switching accounts within them.

Sonos manages to support family accounts in a very basic way but it has no server component it’s just a controller app with a quick option to switch the account you’re using to play the stream to a particular device/s at that time. They are not all active at same time on the same device/s.

You can’t add what can’t be allowed with how Roon currently works. The only way around it is, would be for Roon to completely change its account models and have separate accounts for each individual user and this brings with it more complexity. This is the only way it can and does work in a server based system. Plex as an example uses this model if you have multiple users in Plex home then all can access local music but only the primary account holder can use Tidal from this server even though you can add multiple users who can have their own library vows and histories. To achieve every one having access to Tidal you have to switch to each user having their own Plex individual account which then allows them to link their own family account to it. They don’t all need their own server. You then have to share access from the main account with a server with all of these account for them have access to the local music side. This however stops any library integration and is no better than using Tidal connect.

For Roon to achieve the above without changing its entire system of how it works the streaming services have to change their api, which I doubt they will.not even sure Roon could change its model to that of Plex due to how it’s core handles way more functions and it’s database is way more complex with just one account currently.

Roon launched with Tidal integration. The issue is that at that time, Tidal (and other services) did not have Family plans. Those Tidal plans were added after Roon’s launch by several months.

Looking into Roon using the Qobuz “Duo” plan (two Qobuz accounts). I see this was requested for Tidal in 2015, and not yet implemented in November 2023.

One of the supposed advantages of a software subscription service is that it incentivizes the company to continuously improve their product. I was EXTREMELY skeptical that a music player app should be a subscription, but several friends said, No it’s great, they’re always improving. Metadata, artwork, yada yada yada.

This (pretty reasonable!) feature request, eight years old, makes me wonder if a subscription to a music player app is all that great an idea.