Multiple Streaming / Family Accounts and Roon Profiles (Tidal, Qobuz, ...)

As @Simon_Arnold3 wrote two posts up, this seems to be a limitation by streaming service providers and not by Roon.

Thanks for info.
I didn’t know that roon launched with the integration feature.

I learned something new from your comment, and it allowed me to look at this topic from the perspective of the streaming company rather than as a roon user. I have also plex pass so, easy to understand. Thank.

2 Likes

Qobuz does not support multiple streams from one Roon client anymore!

So this family account needs to be implemented right away!

As I life time member and Roon fan I can’t believe this is not supported at this moment!

Are you sure? You seem to be the only person reporting this. Why do you think so?

If I start a second stream the other one is blocked / stopped after a few seconds at this moment. Meaby a bug or something, but can’t start a second stream at this moment unfortunately. The stream was stopped with a account error message from Qobuz.

Will try again tomorrow.

Strange, at this moment it is working with two streams. Last hours I had issues with this, but currently it is working. I will keep on monitoring and will report back soon.

1 Like

I think it has been a temporary issue with (my account on) Qobuz. No idea why.

I am able to play multiple streams with Qobuz at this moment. Didn’t change anything, but happy it works again.

Still hope Roon is able to implement support for family accounts although.

This isn’t true. At least not said as a blanket statement like this. Qobuz doesn’t have this limitation.
They do have more annoying ones though…

I have no issues using multiple accounts on the same machine whether it be from the browser or command line using something like hifi-rs.

But for me, and probably other people, I’d be happy with a solution that only let one stream at a time but credentials were swapped out to the profile users. Most of the time we aren’t streaming at the same time. I just hate that some things the you know who plays ends up in my history that I then need to go clean out. XD

2 Likes

Precisely.

1 Like

I too would love this feature, as my wife and I have different taste.

Do we know what the obstacle is?

This feature is so straightforward, that only a unsolvable technical obstacle can explain the feature is yet missing.

Actually it would be better not to have the profiles in Roon, if they can’t be linked with the profiles in the streaming service.

I’m just at the end of my trial period and about to start the subscription, but this is so annoying to me that I really hesitate to stay :cry:

Maybe, but Roon devs could at least make possible linking multiple qobuz or multiple tidal accounts to different Roon profiles. For this their hands aren’t tied at all. And while doing that they could also keep trying getting access to the family profile by the service provider.

Well if it’s the case with Sonos, than either Roon team don’t want this, or Sonos is better at making agreement with the streaming service providers.

Maybe the devs at Roon should talk to devs at Sonos?

I don’t think it’s as easy as this. It has been stated that Roon can only log into one Qobuz account at a time.

You have to remember that the Roon server itself is capable of supporting multiple users simultaneously.

If you have two or more users (with their own profiles) each of whom wish to use Qobuz streaming at the same time, but the Qobuz API used by Roon only allows Roon to log into one Qobuz account at a time, then what do you do?

1 Like

Being Apple’s special friend, 10 times larger, and in some ways maybe simpler might not be a disadvantage

I’m not an expert in informatics, but I imagine you can “parallelize”. If Roon can handle Tidal and Qobuz, why could it not handle Tidal 1 and Tidal 2, or Qobuz 1 and Qobuz 2?

Because the Qobuz API doesn’t make it possible?

I have no idea how the Qobuz APIs used by Roon work (or indeed those for Tidal) but I can think of several ways in which a design of an API could limit an application to one login - in fact, outside of the audio world, I have worked with many that have this same limitation.

1 Like

Hi Everyone – thank you for the comprehensive post. I’ve attached my vote, and will eagerly await any updates providing a workaround or native functionality for attaching each Roon Profile with its associated 3rd Party account.

I’m a day or two into my trial period right now, and I’d almost be ready to buy a lifetime subscription if this, more granular, integration was possible.

As far as workarounds go… Is it possible to restrict access to Tidal from individual profiles? If so, maybe this could be a potential (albeit sub-optimal) temporary solution:

1. Create three Roon profiles: Us; Wife; Husband
  2. Create a new Tidal profile: Us
  3. Limit the availability of Tidal to the Roon Us profile, and sign in using the Tidal Us account

This is certainly possible if you are able to create the additional Tidal/Qobuz account within the family subscription group.

It is something that I have considered doing (There are currently 4 of us in the household sharing a Tidal family subscription - so the extra account is possible).

However, on thinking about it in more detail, I decided that it was not worth the effort. For a start, it means that we would each have to add favourites to two acccounts - and as, for me personally, at least 99% of my Tidal/Qobuz use is via Roon, so it would not achieve much - it would just mean that I, effectively, replaced the use of my wade@… Tidal account within Roon with, say, a roon@… account - but the account linked to Roon would still be polluted by the other Roon users in the household (particularly the younger generation) and so it would not be any benefit within Roon.

Instead I simply use tagging - as I believe has been suggested earlier in the conversation.

The other consideration is that whilst we have a family Tidal subscription, only I have an individual Qobuz account. Thus, for us, whilst this approach could be of benefit for Tidal Use, it can not help me with Qobuz where my Qobuz account is effectively the family account.

Maybe it might be worth the extra work if I used Tidal and Qobuz outside of Roon - then at least, for my non-Roon use, my personal Tidal and Qobuz accounts would not become poluted.

So this seems basically broken now. Tidal allow you to play from one device at a time for a single account. So If I play Tidal music from one Roon profile in one room and from another Roon profile in the other room, one of the rooms will stop playing.

So - using roon it’s not possible to play different music from Tidal in different rooms - even if I have a Tidal family account.

Is that correct?

Because if so, it’s a massive, massive gap in the way Roon works.

If I’ve misunderstood and there is a way to do this, please correct me. I love Roon, but this is verging on a deal breaker - it’s such a fundamental flaw.

1 Like