Multiple Streaming / Family Accounts and Roon Profiles (Tidal, Qobuz, ...)

+1 for Tidal Family Plan support.

The wife must have personal Tidal account to play on her device, separate from my Tidal account.

Whole family (wife, three daughters and me) was using Spotify for a lot of years.

Carefully introduced Tidal and moved the family with all their playlists.
Created a profile for my wife and tried to connect her Roon profile to Tidal.

I am very disappointed & also surprised to see only one Tidal account can be used.

6 Likes

+1. I just purchased Roon, but we have been using a Family HiFi Tidal subscription for years. I wrongly assumed that because Roon has different user profiles, different Tidal profiles could be linked to my wife and kids’ accounts. Please allow for different Tidal accounts to be linked to different Roon profiles, separate from items physically stored on the Roon core. My kids certainly have no interest in my Tidal playlists and library, and I don’t have much interest in theirs. It would be great if they could each be able to access the library physically on the core as well as their own Tidal accounts.

5 Likes

As well as a requirement for supporting multiple Tidal accounts, this feature should also allow a profile not to have an associated Tidal account. Effectively this limits Roon to your local library only, which is good for search performance.

5 Likes

I’m having a similar wife migration situation. For what it’s worth I’d think an extra $5/month or so per additional roon profile (true profile with own library, own tidal connection, etc). I don’t know how I can put in a music system for our home when it excludes everyone else in the home. Would be great if there was an update on this even if it’s a flat out no?

Other feature request (sorry) - would be great to be able to mark albums/artists as profile specific or global - so you could create a baseline library for all users and then they can build on top of that… Thanks.

1 Like

You can do that now with tags. Create a global tag and add it to everything you consider ‘global’. Create user specific tags and add them to each album a user considers part of their library. It is then easy to select, by tag, any user’s albums from the whole library. You can save any of these searches by bookmark and easily call up a specific library with a single click.

1 Like

Thank you for that - I didn’t know that and it’s cool.

I do think the bigger issue is the single tidal account - that is a show stopper for me and others.

Tags are great, but I think there needs to be some more user friendly ways of doing things like that - because eventually the customer base won’t want to even know what a tag is IMO.

Thanks again

Hi, just wondering where the Roon folks were landing on adding true multi-account support for Roon including different Tidal accounts linked to users.

I Love roon like I love air, but no way my wife will move over if we have to share 1 tidal account. That means I stop building out my infrastructure and end up either not renewing or maybe just keep it on my personal laptop.

I do think you could add a $30 extra a year charge per user or something (my number may be hopeful and too low). Almost all music subscriptions are offering family plans and without that support I think it’s going to negatively impact you guys (my unasked for 2 cents).

Really, thank you all so much for this software - it has brought incredible enjoyment to me. Thanks.

Wherever they land, I do hope it doesn’t arrive with a $30 per user price increase! How would this work for those with a lifetime subscription anyway?
When suggesting extra features and enhancements, there is no requirement to suggest or propose a price increase to pay for them. It wouldn’t be a viable business model, with Roon users continually pushing up the price of our software with feature requests.

1 Like

Appreciate your view Tony, but I’ll suggest things the way I feel is right. And if I’m asking them to support an isolated multi-user environment I think it’s fair if they want to charge a bit extra per user - just like any other service. If a feature request should fairly cost more then I want to let them know I understand and am open to it. Thanks again.

bump…

i am having problems with tidal music not available that i believe is linked to fact that iphone is using different account than roon server.

• scott

+1 for support for multiple Tidal accounts, we have the same Tidal family account and my missus is very particular about her music. Can we please get an update whether there is a roadmap for this feature to be added to ROON? Cheers!

3 Likes

I also feel this is a deal breaking issue. I have used Roon for many years but my daughters/wife have their own playlists on tidal and we cannot access them. I the multi - tidal account support coming?

2 Likes

Hi,
I’m supper happy Roon user for years, but I can not get the family to use it.
We have Tidal family plan and each has own favourites and playlists. Roon doesn’t allow them to play their music, and we end up with me only using Roon and they playing from Tidal app…

We just need to have possibly to add to individual Roon accounts individual family Tidal accounts instead of my on ganeral. Can not be too complex?

Janis

1 Like

I know the feeling. My family also never use Roon because they can not get their own profile with their own local or Tidal collection. Nomatter how many times I tell them they can add music too they just don’t want it to be dissapearing in the big pile. Roon really lacks overview in this depart, my main critsim from day 1 I used Roon. Roon user profiles could And should be so much more. Too bad that development in basic user interaction seems have stopped years ago.

1 Like

+1 from me. Long overdue feature and annoying family members cannot access their personal Tidal libraries. Becoming more important now Tidal is integrated in Android Autoplay, and that relies heavily on Tidal favourites and playlists - so missus even more reliant on Tidal favourites, and confused she can’t see them in Roon.

3 Likes

I just discovered Roon recently. I really like it, but this is a feature I need also. Disappointed to see that there is currently no timeline on improving profile support and supporting multiple Tidal accounts for different users in a family.

I hope this is coming soon. I would like to stick with Roon because it is great so far, but if a viable alternative comes along with better family account support I would probably use that instead.

1 Like

+1

We have a Tidal family account as well. My wife and I had to share the same Tidal account in Roon which was/is annoying. But now my kids grow older (a completely different music taste) it becomes a real problem.

Roon can you give us an update on the status of implementing Tidal family accounts into Roon?

5 Likes

+1 for me. I’m a new Roon user running core on a dedicated server. I’d like to give my wife and two boys control over their own zones so we can all enjoy! Each has an account in our Tidal Family Plan but I don’t want them messing up my Roon library/experience. If they could each have a unique profile in Roon tied to their Tidal profile I think that would significantly improve the Roon offering.

I understand there needs to be a financial incentive for Roon to offer this service but I don’t think the winning answer is for each family member to need their own Roon full priced subscription. That is a financial deal breaker (family of 4 x 119 = $480 per year). I think the added charge of $120 USD per person per year dis-incentivizes further purchase and might result in people actually leaving the platform. On the flip side, I think an incentive for Roon to create such a family service is to cultivate new Roon users at an early age thereby setting them up as future subscribers. The alternative is to lose them early when they become attached to other services which will invariably come along or catch up to Roon.

Roon is an amazing product but I hope it won’t rest on it’s laurels, othters are coming.

7 Likes

+1 for support of Tidal family

4 Likes