Music Germany corner

Very nice, but short, but you did say an EP.

1 Like

…a somewhat longer development and Interpol etc. I can of course also recommend. They sound like the brothers of Pink Turns Blue. Thanks

1 Like

XV - Best Of (Deluxe Edition)

Faun

Erschienen bei We Love Music am 16. Februar 2018

Pop • 26 Tracks • 02h 04m 23s

Portrait

Faun
As soon as the word folk or even neo-folk appears in the so-called ‘black scene’, the uncertainty in the audience can be felt. Often infiltrated and abused by the right-wing scene, the genre unfortunately does not enjoy much recognition. Faun, on the other hand, develop in the first decade of the millennium into the much respected and noticed spearhead on the very bright side of this moon.

Co-founder of the nature-loving goth hippies is flute queen Birgit Muggenthaler, who, however, leaves already after the debut to pursue the commercial side of medieval rock with Schandmaul. The creative output of the band around Oliver ‘Satyr’ Pade, however, is not harmed in the least by the departure.

Already with the second record “Licht” the Wolfsgötter conquer the darkwave scene. Despite this success one should be careful not to reduce sound, arrangement and composition to a cliché-laden plucking biotope for goth noses. The musical approach always remains authentic in terms of craftsmanship and artistry, but at no time appears calculated or even music-historically incompetent.

Whether Arabic scales, Breton dances or Nordic folk tunes to polyphonic singing: Faun take on all of it and mix it with their own songwriting ideas plus a bunch of electro snippets. Just these latter sparks of modernity close the circle in total independence. Folk goes sample and drum machine. All that’s missing now is a name for the brew. As pioneers and pathfinders of this new side genre, nothing is more obvious than to invent the term ‘Pagan Folk’. Pade: “No idea what to call what we do. That’s when we simply called the style that.”

The latter takes on a life of its own over the years, celebrating a newly formed subculture. Faun themselves nevertheless cleverly evade any appropriation by scenes and media. The shaman-like concept of awakening consciousness through music that is as driving as it is sensitive and a turning away from the typical lifestyle of consumer societies make the colleagues of Omnia companions bound in friendship.

Their seventh studio album “Eden” means artistically a temporary climax in the creative work of Faune. Sophistication and filigree attention to detail meet sometimes coarse beats, then again on withdrawn cloistered sound carpets.

There is no end in sight to the colorful journey. “We’ve found a means to express ourselves,” says Pade. “There’s a vacuum there. Christianity seems to have had its day in the long run. Young people are looking for a niche. We deliberately don’t put a stamp on it. We reflect a lot on nature. That’s our root.”

But it is precisely from these roots that Faun is moving away more and more. On their next album “Von Den Elben” they almost approach Schlagergefilden and thus cause some resentment on the part of their fans. The fact that the band brought in external songwriters also met with little approval.

On the follow-up, however, Oliver S. Tyr takes the lead again and pays homage to the goddess of the night with the new compositions. “Luna” features In Extremo singer Michael Rhein and delivers familiar medieval pop. The singer Katja Moslehner, who was integrated into the band complex in 2013, vehemently puts her stamp on the songs. The numerous multi-instrumentalists in her back provide, as always, a catchy but also delicately fragile foundation.

Thus, despite some wobbles, Faun consolidate their high status in the medieval scene. Faun just remain unmistakably Faun.

© Laut (Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator - free version)

The White Lady with Fiona Celtic Remake

Das Faun-Original 7 Die weisse Dame
Das Fiona Klavier 1 Die weiße Dame

Die weiße Dame

Fiona

Erschienen bei Celtic Classics Productions am 1. Februar 2019

Alternativ und Indie • Ein Track • 05m 12s

1 Like

You’re right. Sadly she release only two short EPs and a couple of singles…

1 Like

Yes I went looking on Bandcamp last night. High quality music though

1 Like

Thanks Uwe I have added that for a listen.
I am a bit partial to well done and darker Neo-folk :+1:

1 Like

I actually have a lot more to thank you for as well, but it’s just not possible for me to take up all the suggestions anymore, since I have such a wide range of interests.

1 Like

Uwe when they call this a community site, they are not wrong. Giving each other support and new music is why I return daily :+1:

2 Likes

4 Likes

Singer and frontman of “Die Ärzte” as a quasi solo musician. Some quite good songs is the result.
RoonShareImage-637738156667621691
RoonShareImage-637738156906358942
RoonShareImage-637738157132925111

2 Likes

1 Like

Prog-Rock from Hamburg. And it’s also a really good sounding record!
Definitely the next CD I’ll purchase from bandcamp.
RoonShareImage-637743308427829365

5 Likes

2 Likes

I just discovered another german Prog-Rock-Band from Bayreuth.
Irini Schwarz’ voice is quite interesting, somtimes more harmonic, sometimes just slightly rough, the next time a bit disonant.
Also the instrumentation is quite unusual with a harp as a regular part of the band.
The recording sounds quite good and has a good “areal resolution” (hopfully this is the right term, “räumlich” is the word I want to describe).
RoonShareImage-637744148213888868

2 Likes

I started an it’s good for this evening thanks

2 Likes

1 Like

Freshly arrived for the festive season, the Academy delivers its interpretation of christmas with Bach

Christmas with Bach

Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin - Komponist: Johann Sebastian Bach

Erschienen bei harmonia mundi am 10. Dezember 2021

Klassik • 25 Tracks • 01h 44m 21s

1 Christmas Oratorio, BWV 248, Part V: 43. Chor "Ehre sei dir, Gott, gesungen"René Jacobs 06:03

1 Like

Interesting band from Berlin.
I’ve completly forgot this is a live album while listening.
RoonShareImage-637758584598850313

2 Likes

Enjoying this wonderful early retrospective on this Christmas Eve

2 Likes

German Christmas Classic - Retro - Punk

Karl Friedrich Berger Karl-Friedrich Beringer – Wikipedia earned world renown with the Windsbacher Knabenchor Windsbacher Knabenchor – Wikipedia and found great appeal with the Christmas Oratorio as well. The Bach recordings later made by his successor Martin Lehmann were released by Sony and seem more modern to me, but what does that mean.

The Dresden Philharmonic has overcome the classical boys choir and comes even fresher but just with the retro charm of the 50s and 60s in our living rooms. I like these old recordings very much. They mirror my childhood Christmas and still bring tears to the eyes of many an aging old gentleman or lady.

The German Schlager subsequently also celebrated its sales records at Christmas and in the not yet united East, Frank Schöbel and his partner Aurora Lacasa as well as the children Odette and Dominique later set new standards in the sale of Amiga albums. Many records were still sold after the turn of the millennium.

Internationally, other music genres dominated and electrified the growing youth much more. The Düsseldorf Opel gang could do nothing at all with German folk music in the 80s and 90s. Die Toten Hosen went for rocking punk and made an alternative Christmas. I only say Hail Mary to it. Each music style has heart and soul and is played everything what pleases.

2 Likes