Music randomly stops playing

I am three days into the 14 day free trial and having an issue where the music stops playing randomly. Sometimes the music stops and it will scroll through tracks (about 4 seconds each) but no sound. If I restart Roon, I can play music again, but jus a matter of time before it stops playing again… Help!

I am running a Mac Mini with 10.11.6 OS into a Bryston BDA-3 via USB.

Any support would be greatly appreciated.

I’m using Mac mini with Bryaton-BDP1 and have the same issue as well as previous post about hi Rez files pausing, which they all seem to do

Hi Sean,

Have you tried rebooting the Bryston as well?

Where is your music stored, internal drive, external, NAS? Do you use Tidal?

Cheers, Greg

Hi Greg,

I have tried rebooting my Bryston, but did not work. Only by rebooting Roon will it work, but only for a period of time.

I am using a 6TB external hard drive with approx. 4TB of music installed on it. I am not using Tidal.

Thanks,

Sean

Hi Sean,

Could you post screenshots of your audio settings like in this KB?

Cheers, Greg

Hi @Sean_McFaul and @Robbie_bowen ---- Thank you both for your feedback and sorry for the inconvenience here. We will be glad to help troubleshoot this problem for you guys and based off the descriptions both of you have provided this feel like a potential dropouts issue to me. If that is indeed the case we have been able to link audio dropouts to a couple of common causes as seen here.

In order for us to better understand what could be going on I’d like to gather some information from both of you concerning your current setups. The more detailed you are these easier time will we have eliminating variables as potential causes to this issue. Can you please confirm the following:

1. What is your network like? Is Wifi involved?

2. Does this issue occur more often with Hi-Res files or does it occur equally with all formats?

3. @Robbie_bowen - What’s your library size like and how is it stored (local storage, external hard drive, NAS)?

-Eric

Hi Mike/Greg,

Problem seems to be solved. I upgraded my memory on my Mac to 8G from 2G. I thought I was running 4G when I installed the 14 day trial. After upgrading my memory, all seems to be good!

I will let you know if the problem arises again.

Thanks!

Sean

@Sean_McFaul ----- Thank you for the follow up / update. Glad to hear things are working! If anything else comes up, let us know and we’ll be glad to help. Happy listening!

-Eric

Still having dropouts, running tidal this morning & drops out for just a second 2-3 times each song. My hard drives are connected to macmini, a 4tb, 500gb & thumb drive. Using wifi. Connection doesn’t drop on other devices. Seems my hi res files do drop out more than the others, that & tidal.
Also at times I’ve noticed if I’m scrolling thru the app, either thru iPhone or macmini it will cause a dropout. Macmini is year old & only used with my system.
S

@Robbie_bowen ----- Thank you for the feedback! I would like you try a small test for me to see if we can trigger a change in behavior.

Please try and move two files (at least one hi res) to the internal storage on the MacMini and see if there is any change in playback. Are there dropouts? Less? More? None? Also can you please confirm how the Bryston-BDP1 is communicating with the MacMini? Thanks!

-Eric

Will do first chance I get. Bryston is set up under network. May be dumb question but Is there another way to connect from Mac to Bryston?

@Robbie_bowen ----- Thanks! Please let me know the results. My feeling is that this maybe related to a networking issue as mentioned in our dropouts article. You are using storage devices connected directly to your core machine which seems to be reasonably powerful (i5, i7?) which is why I am leaning towards something going on over your Wifi network. If you are able connect everything using ethernet, that would be a really good test to start with.

-Eric

Dumb question but can’t find answer
online, can I go usb from Mac to Bryston? Mac & Bryston are both connected to network by Ethernet.
Weird observation, tried playing Ramsey Midwood “Larry Buys A Lighter” EP 4 separate times today thru tidal. Dropped out morning noon & afternoon. Tracks before & after played fine. Just thought weird same artist happened with.

@Robbie_bowen ---- Thank you for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated. My apologies for the confusion, I am in need of some clarification in regard to the topology of your network to better understand what is the cause of this issue.

You had mentioned in your initial post that Wifi was involved in your network setup:

My hard drives are connected to macmini, a 4tb, 500gb & thumb drive. Using wifi.

But in your follow up to me you had mentioned that your gear is being connected via ethernet:

Mac & Bryston are both connected to network by Ethernet.

Was the ethernet connection a part of a test to see if a change in behavior could be triggered or have those devices always been hardwired? Once again, my apologies for the confusion and thank you for the clarification.

-Eric

Sorry, didn’t realize the question at first, working midnites & had just got off a 16 hr shift.
The Mac & Bryston are both hooked up Ethernet. Played today with only a few dropouts. Have noticed that if I scroll thru info on iPhone app it sometimes cause dropouts. Wouldn’t think it was the Mac, it’s 2 years old & used only for this.

Have tried all troubleshooting I can & still get dropouts. Listening to Paul Simpns new one, stored on macmini internal drive, 16/44 & have dropouts. If I click any tabs in Roon with mouse or iPhone app it causes a dropout. Have not been able to listen to a 3 minute song yet without dropouts. Also dropouts when I’m just listening, not touching a thing.
Put drives back into Bryston & play with mpod & no dropouts. Mac is running no other programs, 4gb memory.
Love the layout, would love to purchase but it’s embarrassing to have a friend over, play a track on my $$$ system & it drops out
Don’t know what to try next

Hey @Robbie_bowen – thanks for your patience here, and sorry this hasn’t gone as smoothly as we normally like. Network troubleshooting is always one of the trickiest things we deal with, going back to the Sooloos days.

We’ve seen an entire home automation network get disassembled, only to find that a 6 person troubleshooting team missed an ethernet cable running under the leg of a couch – a couch that no one other than the owner of the home was sitting on. This caused everything to work during all day stress testing, only to have everything fall apart when the owner got home each night.

Point being, everything you’re describing points to issues as soon as the network gets involved. Have you tried disabling the firewall on the Mac Mini? Have you tried plugging in a pair of headphones into the Mac Mini to see if local playback (no network zones) works any better? Have you swapped cables? Switches? Routers? I’m not trying to ask you to do more work here, but these are the kinds of tests I would run to figure out where things are going wrong, by process of elimination.

If you’re on a free trial right now, anyone from @Support can add some more time on while we work this out, so don’t worry about running out of time until this is stable. It sounds like you’ve done a good deal of troubleshooting, but the more details you give @Eric and myself about what you’ve tried, the more likely it is we can figure out what’s going on here.

Would you giving a few more details here? Do these both go right into a router? What router?

Both go into AirPort Extreme. Hopefully I have some good news. Need to spend a few more hours with it tonite & tomorrow before I’m convinced it’s solved for good.
But I reinstalled firmware on the Bryston, reinstalled Roon with latest update, made sure Mac was updated & played flawlessly for 3-4 hours before I had to leave for work. While listening I decided to surf the web on the Mac while playing with Roon on iPhone to see if I could cause a dropout. No problems at all. Gimme a few more hours tonite & tomorrow & if no issues I’ll consider it solved. Thank u guys for helping & hope to pass along more good news tomorrow

@Robbie_bowen ---- Thank you for the follow up, we look forward to your update :slight_smile: Happy listening!

-Eric